[PGT] Holy Cow we did Things!! - Free Agency Thread - July 1st

Who stays, who goes?  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following Canuck forwards will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

2. 2. Which of the following Canuck defencemen will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

3. 3. Which of the following Canuck goalies will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

• Thatcher Demko
    • Arturs Silovs (RFA)
    • Casey DeSmith (UFA)

2 minutes ago, Pears said:

I don't get the doom and gloom. Again, we were a top five team overall at the end of November before we made any trades. DeBrusk/Heinen/Sherwood add some speed and physicality that will make us better than last year. 

This isn't bad at all. Not the big splash but I like these. We just need to keep working on D. 

5 minutes ago, Pears said:

I don't get the doom and gloom. Again, we were a top five team overall at the end of November before we made any trades. DeBrusk/Heinen/Sherwood add some speed and physicality that will make us better than last year. 

I guess it comes down to whether you're okay with Myers-Soucy as your 2nd pairing....

11 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Oh I know that and hate to lose him.

But I think it was more his decision and the team recognized that and set a limit. I think he wasn't willing to set a limit and wanted to test the market more than anything.

agree ,  a player like that deserves too.

I see a standing ovation for his BODY of work in a short period with us !

Havent seen a Big Man like that crush and throw guys since Jovonowski.

1 minute ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

This isn't bad at all. Not the big splash but I like these. We just need to keep working on D. 

Yep I do too. Not the guys I had in mind but they're good gets for what they came in at. 

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

I guess it comes down to whether you're okay with Myers-Soucy as your 2nd pairing....

If Myers continues his positive play then yes. But we still started 12-3-1/15-8-1 with those two as the second pair. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

Gotta get there first and, as of now, I think they're a bubble team

Don't think they are worse than how they came into the year last season. If anything DeBrusk adds a legit scorer they didn't have.

They will be a division team but maybe not win the division. Don't think LA got better, Vegas got worse, Calgary/Anaheim/SJ will be bad, Seattle is the only team that's gotten meaningfully better.

1 minute ago, Locke Lamora said:

It’s not the greatest position to be in if that is something you really have to rely on. 

Again, one more quality D-man and I’d give them a B grade for the Free Agency.

I was referring to in-house depth for the future. We're going to have to rely in that at some point. They all need to take steps forward this season. Guys can't take steps backward. We need them to keep on that upward trajectory. It's key. 

Agree about the Dman. 

4 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

AHL Center ,    25 yrs ..  perhaps they’re penciling Raty or Karlsson for a trade , or move up to the Canucks?

I see Smith as a replacement for Dries in Abby. The Canucks needed more depth at center in Abby as both Raty and Karlsson on probably better on the wing.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

We need 2 top 4 D.  
What are you talking about homie?   

What are you talking about ? What other NHL teams D is so much better than ours? Every d core is built on compromises. We have 2 studs that devour most minutes. And then we have Soucy and Myers, That is a solid D in this league 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Pretty underwhelmed today. Debrusk is an interesting player, but has never shown the consistency to indicate that he's the piece to push us over the top. Both the money and term are too much imo. Feels like a consolation prize. A very expensive consolation size.

I'm cool enough with the other signings, although I think our blueline still needs work. 

3 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Funny, right before I returned here from making breakfast I had a thought: "Sometimes things that make a big splash sink to the bottom pretty quickly".

We'll see - right now, everything's uncertain as to how players will pan out in their new settings. There's something to be said about chemistry, how players adjust to roles/coaching, etc. 

Good players don't always just equate to cup success (which is what they're all striving for). Just ask McJesus about that.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

That is the most concerning thing. Myers as number 2 is scary enough but Forbort-Juulsen next over the board it gets really scary. 
Guess Q can play 30 a night to make it work. 
PA will add more to the D at some point. Pretty sure about that. 

Imagine Hughes or Hronek get hurt.. bye bye playoffs

4 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

So we have 3.79m left for a D?

Yikes. 

I thought Alvin wanted to play a bunch of our fwd prospects this year. 

Tough I'm happy with the Heinen and Sherwood signings. Our D has a massive hole again. One they just fixed. 

We needed more scoring, both from Peteys line, and depth scoring too

Think these signings make us significantly better up front next year

But yeah the D is a bit scary, we've got a big hole at the 2RD spot