[PGT] Holy Cow we did Things!! - Free Agency Thread - July 1st

Who stays, who goes?  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following Canuck forwards will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

2. 2. Which of the following Canuck defencemen will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

3. 3. Which of the following Canuck goalies will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

• Thatcher Demko
    • Arturs Silovs (RFA)
    • Casey DeSmith (UFA)

I suppose the benefit of the is that the guys know the system and will likely come cheaper than an outside UFA. Will be interesting to see what the team looks like on July 2nd/3rd.

I hope mgmt maintains some cap flexibility for deals after July 3rd

• Upvote 1

My guess is, now that Joshua is signed, we're at 18 signed but that includes Tolopilo at 950k. with about 17.5 million left including LTIR which I believe we will use some of.

Silovs, 2 years x 800k, 1 way deal, almost a wash against Tolopilo, will save us another 150k overall, leaves us still at 18 signed

Zadorov, 5 years x 5 million is #19 leaving us with 12.5 million to spend

Guentzel, 7 years x 9 million is #20, leaving us with 3.5 million to spend

Brisebois is already signed, I think he holds down #21 (was slotted in to be on the team last year before the injury in camp) Drops us to about 2.8 million to spend (factoring reduction from Silovs

Bains slides into #22 and brings us down to 2 million left

#23 will be either someone from outside the organization or Woo / McWard. Either of the latter would leave us with about 1.2 million in flexibility

Barring any further trades, that's how I see I projecting into camp. That should be more than enough to get us into the playoffs and it should be more than enough space to get us a nice upgrade at the deadline considering there will be other injuries through the season.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

My guess is, now that Joshua is signed, we're at 18 signed but that includes Tolopilo at 950k. with about 17.5 million left including LTIR which I believe we will use some of.

Silovs, 2 years x 800k, 1 way deal, almost a wash against Tolopilo, will save us another 150k overall, leaves us still at 18 signed

Zadorov, 5 years x 5 million is #19 leaving us with 12.5 million to spend

Guentzel, 7 years x 9 million is #20, leaving us with 3.5 million to spend

Brisebois is already signed, I think he holds down #21 (was slotted in to be on the team last year before the injury in camp) Drops us to about 2.8 million to spend (factoring reduction from Silovs

Bains slides into #22 and brings us down to 2 million left

#23 will be either someone from outside the organization or Woo / McWard. Either of the latter would leave us with about 1.2 million in flexibility

Barring any further trades, that's how I see I projecting into camp. That should be more than enough to get us into the playoffs and it should be more than enough space to get us a nice upgrade at the deadline considering there will be other injuries through the season.

We need to use all our Cap space to use that LTIR out of Poolman. Can’t have anything left going into next season

• Like 1

I still think skipping on Zadorov and signing Dillon on a hometown discount makes the most sense.

Leaves you a lot of room to upgrade the offense, which was the main issue against Edmonton.

You could also bring back Myers on the cheap as well.

17 minutes ago, Petey O said:

I still think skipping on Zadorov and signing Dillon on a hometown discount makes the most sense.

Leaves you a lot of room to upgrade the offense, which was the main issue against Edmonton.

You could also bring back Myers on the cheap as well.

Dillon is old and slow. No

18 players signed with $15.5 million in cap space. 

Suter             Miller             Boeser

Höglander    Pettersson 

Joshua         Blueger         Garland 

Podkolzin    Åman             PDG

Hughes      Hronek 

Soucy        Myers 

Juulsen
                  Friedman 

Demko 

Looks like we might want to re-sign DeSmith. Zadorov still needs to be re-signed. Another 7/8 Dman. Brandon Duhaime. Lekkerimäki might make the team. That’s 23 guys. So most likely we make a trade. I’d say Höglander gets traded. Maybe Suter too. 

At the end of the day I think we will have around $6 million to sign a top 6 winger. So Guentzel is most likely out. 

My choice would be to trade for Pavel Buchnevich with a $5.8 million cap hit. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson

To me, Myers signing at 3 million means any of the following:

• We are giving up on signing Zadorov or he will sign at less than expected
  • We are either not going to attempt signing Guentzel, or he will be less expensive than anyone is projecting
  • We are looking at making another trade to create cap space. The only one that would make sense in that circumstance would be Garland, unless we're willing to move Demko and run next season with DeSmith and Silovs as our tandem.

If we're looking at a true top 6, in my mind that means Guentzel, Reinhart Toffoli and maybe Debrusk.

Anyone else have any thoughts on it?

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

• We are either not going to attempt signing Guentzel, or he will be less expensive than anyone is projecting
  • We are looking at making another trade to create cap space. The only one that would make sense in that circumstance would be Garland, unless we're willing to move Demko and run next season with DeSmith and Silovs as our tandem.

If we're looking at a true top 6, in my mind that means Guentzel, Reinhart Toffoli and maybe Debrusk.

Why would they re-sign Joshua and then move out the one player he had unreal chemistry........and then you have to replace garland as well.  I know you were just bringing it up as a possibility, but there's a lot stumping for it.  To me, signing DJ means garland isn't going anywhere.

Is it possible that garland and Joshua become a top 6 line?

Joshua Petey Garland

________ Miller Boeser

Or 

_______ Petey Boeser

Joshua Miller Garland

Id expect they'd be looking hard at marchesseault or Teravainen in that case.  I'd love to see either guy with Petey.

I'm not a fan of it of hogz in the bottom 6, but you'd likely have a bottom 6 of 

Podz Suter Hogz

Pdg Blueger ______

But, I think I'd be looking at signing a better 3C and moving Suter out.

In that case, they've got a lot of $ to put into defense and a top notch 4th line winger.

An out of the box move, for sure

Edited by stawns
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

Why would they re-sign Joshua and then move out the one player he had unreal chemistry........and then you have to replace garland as well.  I know you were just bringing it up as a possibility, but there's a lot stumping for it.  To me, signing DJ means garland isn't going anywhere.

Is it possible that garland and Joshua become a top 6 line?

Joshua Petey Garland

________ Miller Boeser

Or 

_______ Petey Boeser

Joshua Miller Garland

Id expect they'd be looking hard at marchesseault or Teravainen in that case.  I'd love to see either guy with Petey.

I'm not a fan of it of hogz in the bottom 6, but you'd likely have a bottom 6 of 

Podz Suter Hogz

Pdg Blueger ______

But, I think I'd be looking at signing a better 3C and moving Suter out.

In that case, they've got a lot of $ to put into defense and a top notch 4th line winger.

An out of the box move, for sure

You are correct, no idea if or why they would do it. I'm just speculating on the math of the available space. IF we still plan on chasing Guentzel, somethings got to give.

3 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Doing lots of things! How much money we got left? We still getting Guentzel or what?

I think they re-sign Zadora, and sign  lower tier free agents like Arvidsson, Zucker, or Debrusk. Or take a chance on a bought out Skinner or similar player.

Edited by fuzzy

2 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Caught word that Reinhart after winning the cup wants to play for his hometown team and will sign for less. Coming to Vancouver for 7 years at 8 mill a season. A man can dream!

• Cheers 2

26 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Caught word that Reinhart after winning the cup wants to play for his hometown team and will sign for less. Coming to Vancouver for 7 years at 8 mill a season. A man can dream!

Whats the plan now?

- Zadorov

- another D

- top 6 winger

- bottom 6 forward

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

18 players signed with $15.5 million in cap space. 

Suter             Miller             Boeser

Höglander    Pettersson 

Joshua         Blueger         Garland 

Podkolzin    Åman             PDG

Hughes      Hronek 

Soucy        Myers 

Juulsen
                  Friedman 

Demko 

Looks like we might want to re-sign DeSmith. Zadorov still needs to be re-signed. Another 7/8 Dman. Brandon Duhaime. Lekkerimäki might make the team. That’s 23 guys. So most likely we make a trade. I’d say Höglander gets traded. Maybe Suter too. 

At the end of the day I think we will have around $6 million to sign a top 6 winger. So Guentzel is most likely out. 

My choice would be to trade for Pavel Buchnevich with a $5.8 million cap hit. 

I too think we will be making acquisitions via trade.

Here's some targets I think PA/JR may go after

1. Warren Foegel - could be a great 3LW option as a big, speedy wing to play with Garland and Blueger. This will allow Joshua to move up on Petey on Miller's wing, or put Foegel on Miller's wing? He's fast, hits, and tenacious fore checker. Could probably be had at 3.25M if he prioritizes fit and winning

2. Jack Roslovic - I've always thought he could be better than he has shown. His stint in NY was good. I think he'd be a great RW option on Peteys wing if he comes at a reasonable deal say ~3M. Not sure if an Ohio guy would even want to come out to Vancouver but hey you never know

3. Mason Marchment - Dallas needs fo clear cap if they want to have a D this upcoming year, than Stankoven is up for extension year after. Mason could be a good fit on wing with Petey or even Milldd

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Do you have a source?

3 hours ago, bh90 said:

1. Warren Foegel - could be a great 3LW option as a big, speedy wing to play with Garland and Blueger. This will allow Joshua to move up on Petey on Miller's wing, or put Foegel on Miller's wing? He's fast, hits, and tenacious fore checker. Could probably be had at 3.25M if he prioritizes fit and winning

2. Jack Roslovic - I've always thought he could be better than he has shown. His stint in NY was good. I think he'd be a great RW option on Peteys wing if he comes at a reasonable deal say ~3M. Not sure if an Ohio guy would even want to come out to Vancouver but hey you never know

3. Mason Marchment - Dallas needs fo clear cap if they want to have a D this upcoming year, than Stankoven is up for extension year after. Mason could be a good fit on wing with Petey or even Milldd

Foegel would be a nice add,  but see him as a Suter replacement, Joshua and Garland have too much chemistry together and make their own pair.  

The other option is Foegel plays on the third line and Joshua and Garland move up and play with EP.    That makes some sense.  

7 hours ago, fuzzy said:

I think they re-sign Zadora, and sign  lower tier free agents like Arvidsson, Zucker, or Debrusk. Or take a chance on a bought out Skinner or similar player.

That might be wiser.   Reinhart versus Guentzel.   Who would you pick?  Reinhart isn't slow but isn't fast either.   Great shot, scored the GWG game 7.     

Zucker isn't a good option for EP.   Debrusk is a maybe.    Both those guys are Tochett types though.   None of them will cost the farm. 

At the end of the day, filling out the roster with unknowns comes with some risk.     They know Guentzel so can see why his name keeps coming up.   Rhino was heavily sought after by JB.    And i'm sure he'd be happy to play for his childhood team.   What sort of "discount" would he consider, and what is a discount.    

• Honkin Hronek changed the title to [GDT] We’re Doing so Many Things! - Big Game Hunting - Draft Trade/Signings Thread - June 28-July 1st
13 hours ago, bh90 said:

Imagine Marchment and Joshua together?

Thats a lot of skill & hurt.

• Like 2