[PGT] Holy Cow we did Things!! - Free Agency Thread - July 1st

Who stays, who goes?  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following Canuck forwards will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

2. 2. Which of the following Canuck defencemen will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

3. 3. Which of the following Canuck goalies will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

• Thatcher Demko
    • Arturs Silovs (RFA)
    • Casey DeSmith (UFA)

1 minute ago, Breadnbutta said:

If you can afford it. They have better health care than us.

Which they do. Plus I bet the nhlpa has wicked coverage.

It's irrelevant to hockey players 

Not irrelevant to regular people. Given a choice between losing rich hockey players, and my benefits. I'll take my benefits everytime thank you very much.

1 minute ago, Pears said:

DeBrusk should be good for around 20-25 goals. That's a lot better than anything Petey has had recently when the lotto line isn't together. 

That really doesn't have anything to do with what I said. You were talking about what we started off last season with....making the point that Myers was a second pairing guy.

I was pointing out that Hogs and Mik started off as top six wingers......but things change.

Yep,

Wont sit well with me that we gave Boston another 'Big Z'. Our big Z.

I will hate seeing him doing his imposing bully business for that team. 

Good day in signings for us but I think losing him will be tough to accept for years to come. 

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Combover said:

We don’t seem any better deeper at any position than last season.

Feels more like we  down graded.

defiantly no wow factor more like ow. 

So far. 

Here's what I've learned.

Wow factor only takes you so far. Oilers have wow factor in the best player in the world....yet.....

It's all about work ethic, buy in/structure/coaching, chemistry, overall team health and yes....skill and physicality. Key players can't just get it done on their own so it's about balance and we've seen (Petey) how top paid players can struggle and it's no guarantee. So the best plan is make a well rounded team as much as $$ permits.

We seem to want a big splash yet players will have peaks and valleys...it's about hitting it at the right time. Luck's involved in that too.

I've learned that all the eggs in one (or two) baskets isn't necessarily the key to success. 

Players that want to be here and have faith in this team and what they're doing are important. JT Miller types.

Maybe I'm jaded....something something Messier.

Big names can also be busts.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Pears said:

Down to around $4 million after Forbort but yeah those were things people were screaming for and I still see complaints lol. 

"Screaming for"? :classic_huh:

The "screaming" I saw was for Guentzel, Taneve and Zadorov. The only one I wanted was Z, but it's a moot point because we got none of them.

Just now, -dlc- said:

Funny, right before I returned here from making breakfast I had a thought: "Sometimes things that make a big splash sink to the bottom pretty quickly".

We'll see - right now, everything's uncertain as to how players will pan out in their new settings. There's something to be said about chemistry, how players adjust to roles/coaching, etc. 

Good players don't always just equate to cup success (which is what they're all striving for). Just ask McJesus about that.

Beyond the big splash and emotions of it all, things are looking pretty good from my perspective. Certainly not as bad as some are making it out to be. We're taking a more conservative, methodical approach in spreading out and suring up the lineup despite the holes. 

There will be unexpected benefits. That's what I'm looking at knowing there will also be unexpected downsides. People lose sight of that. 

Nothing is ever a guarantee but DeBrusk is a Tocchet type player. That bodes well for fit in the top six. Heinen is also in his prime, coming off a 17 goal season and a hometown guy. At this early stage, those are good things. 

We'll see for sure, more work needs to be done.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Yep,

Wont sit well with me that we gave Boston another 'Big Z'. Our big Z.

I will hate seeing him doing his imposing bully business for that team. 

Good day in signings for us but I think losing him will be tough to accept for years to come. 

Sure, but Zadorov is a 3rd pairing d-man on this team.

Our coach doesn't like to play guys on their off side.

We would have had to move Soucy to justify bringing Zadorov back at 5 mil AAV.

End of story. In a cap league, you can't be committing that much money to your bottom pairing.