[PGT] Holy Cow we did Things!! - Free Agency Thread - July 1st

Who stays, who goes?  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following Canuck forwards will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

2. 2. Which of the following Canuck defencemen will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

3. 3. Which of the following Canuck goalies will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

• Thatcher Demko
    • Arturs Silovs (RFA)
    • Casey DeSmith (UFA)

8 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

If my eyes aren't failing me, we added size, speed, grit, scoring, forechecking, pking, two Canadians and two Americans, amd we still have 5.5 million in cap space?

Add to that the fact that Jim, Alvin & Toc have an eye for under utilized talent and the system to bring out the best in those types of players. I think we'll play bigger, stronger and faster with some pushback up front.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, tas said:

I'd expect one or both of hoglander and podkolzin to get traded to upgrade the top 6 and/or rhd. 

Hoglander? Really? :classic_huh:

How many guys do you think are available that scored 24 goals at a million dollar salary? I don't see anyone trading a top 4 defender for someone on the current roster. (at least not someone we'd be willing to move) They'd be asking for our top prospects.

IMHO, we already gave up far too much future in the Lindholm deal.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Petey O said:

Sure, but Zadorov is a 3rd pairing d-man on this team.

Our coach doesn't like to play guys on their off side.

We would have had to move Soucy to justify bringing Zadorov back at 5 mil AAV.

End of story. In a cap league, you can't be committing that much money to your bottom pairing.

I think he has more upside than a 3rd paring in his future.

I think Zads is worth what he got. Would have been nice to figure it out for us.

Ship has sailed. Oh well.

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Chon derry said:

The leafs dropped 12 mil on tanev OEL and domi. We didn’t do to bad on player age comparative. 

I've been saying this since his desperation in Calgary that Treliving is Benning 2.0

On a Stanley Cup Champion team with defensive depth OEL is a serviceable D but on the Leafs OEL is going to be a disaster.  He overpaid so badly for Tanev, it reeks of desperation.  

Just now, RupertKBD said:

How many guys do you think are available that scored 24 goals at a million dollar salary? I don't see anyone trading a top 4 defender for someone on the current roster. (at least not someone we'd be willing to move) They'd be asking for our top prospects.

Gotta give up something to get something.

8 minutes ago, BPA said:

Think Canucks are done for the day.  They got to prepare for the next 2 seasons for OEL dead cap hit ($4.76M) and re-signing Boeser next summer.

We have enough wiggle room to provide some flexibility at the trade deadline. It's a pipe dream, but if we are in a favourable position I'd be willing to take a run at a Crosby rental.

Just now, RupertKBD said:

you explain his value and then say teams wouldn't be interested?

the canucks don't need 24 goals for a million, they need 35 goals and have $7 million to play with. 

57 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I do like Debrusk ,  that’s the direction I’d hope they’d take ,.  

But losing Zadorov ,. I don’t think that was necessary after Mikeheyev was traded.

To much upside with a full tool box not to give him 5 - 5.5 here.

Nothing was confirmed about what the Canucks did offer ,

but I think Milstein will let us know.

perhaps the whole thing of having 4 or 5 contracts with us, and being asked to move Kuzmenko and Mikheyev for management has left him not trusting management here??

man, I agree. Losing Zadorov really stings—especially to BOS. OUCH

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

7 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

Where did you get this cap friendly says otherwise 

I think they're right, because I added the numbers CapFriendly has for up and our total cap hit comes to $80.2 million. Unless they aren't factoring in the OEL buyout and Mikheyev retention because then that's where the difference would come from. 

Edited by Pears

I mean, all three forwards we brought in are cable of 15+ goals. DeBrusk could be a 30-goal guy in the right situation...

Considering we held onto Bleuger, Joshua, and still have Suter under contract... this is some of the best forward depth we've ever had.

Was hoping for more of a gamebreaker, and we still need to address the defense. But I'm very interested to see how the forward group comes together.

1 minute ago, van_can_fan said:

man, I agree. Losing Zadorov really stings—especially to BOS. OUCH

Look on the bright side: Zadorov gets to beat up on the Leafs for 6 years.

Imagine if Zadorov went to a pacific team or god forbid the Leafs instead.

The Canucks only have to face him twice a year.

What we learned in Free Agency this year...

Don't let your Star Players (or even your mid level players) get to UFA.

JR/PA...if you plan on resigning (extending) Boeser please do it this offseason.

He's gonna get 8 years and $9-$10 million next offseason with the cap going up even more.

Hronek, Joshua, Blueger and Myers all look like they took a discount at this point.    

Edited by Blitz-Pix