[PGT] Holy Cow we did Things!! - Free Agency Thread - July 1st

Who stays, who goes?  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following Canuck forwards will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

2. 2. Which of the following Canuck defencemen will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

3. 3. Which of the following Canuck goalies will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

• Thatcher Demko
    • Arturs Silovs (RFA)
    • Casey DeSmith (UFA)

2 minutes ago, Petey O said:

It actually wouldn't surprise me if they move on from Podkolzin. I don't see where he fits on this team right now, and you can't have him riding the pine for most of the season/in the AHL again.

Yep which would be really unfortunate because I have/had high hopes for him. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

If they do that, we still need a top-4 RD, just with a slightly different profile.

We're missing a RD. Hughes cant play with Juulsen. 

Forbort-Myers is our 3rd pair

Whats the book on Carrier from Nashville - seems to be around the prime age and plays about 18m a game.  Guess it always comes down to dollars and term.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, hockeyfan-observer said:

Whats the book on Carrier from Nashville - seems to be around the prime age and plays about 18m a game.  Guess it always comes down to dollars and term.

he'd be my pick, small but plays way bigger, defensively excellent, good puck mover

but nashville apparently is close to re-signing him according to EF

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Yes on Hakanpaa.

No on Ghost.

The spirits have spoken. 😉

That would be my preference as well. The only downside is that there would be no puck mover outside of the top pairing, unless we split up Huggy and Honker. I suppose you could put Huges and Hakanpaa together and have Hronek play with Soucy....:classic_unsure:

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, HarbularyBattery said:

cannot put Myers back playing 2nd pair minutes

he and soucy were completley unable to move the puck out of their end

theyre fine as a shutdown pair together to weather a storm, but would be insane to play them as a pair for 18 mins a night

Myers was bad getting 1st pair minutes. Not 2nd pair. The whole first half of the season was with Myers getting 2nd pair. To say Soucy isn't a solid 2nd pair is insane. His absence probably cost us the playoff round against the Oilers. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

cannot put Myers back playing 2nd pair minutes

he and soucy were completley unable to move the puck out of their end

theyre fine as a shutdown pair together to weather a storm, but would be insane to play them as a pair for 18 mins a night

They did that last year and we did well.  Myers always plays top 4 minutes - coaches love him.  He does fine as long as he has a dependable partner and the team has structure.

I do think we’re looking to upgrade an RD but you can only make the moves available to you. 

Just now, Blue said:

Myers was bad getting 1st pair minutes. Not 2nd pair. The whole first half of the season was with Myers getting 2nd pair. To say Soucy isn't a solid 2nd pair is insane. His absence probably cost us the playoff round against the Oilers. 

You can have ONE of soucy-Myers playing on the 2nd pair, probably soucy

But if you watched the games, soucy-myers pair got absolutely buried in our own end. They couldn't move the puck up to forwards. They blocked a million shots but they got shelled and exhausted, and by the time their shifts were over, they just had enough to flip the puck out and skate to the bench

Again, i have no problem with them as a shutdown pair in limited situations - like trying to shut down connor mcdavid, but to use them together for 18 minutes a night again would absolutely kill us

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Hughes - Hronek

Soucy - Myers

Forbort - ?

Brisebois

I wonder if they're leaving it up to Juulsen, Friedman, McWard and Woo to battle for that bottom pairing RD spot. 

Barring another FA signing, I'd say that's exactly what they're doing....with Juuls likely having the inside track.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Hughes - Hronek

Soucy - Myers

Forbort - ?

Brisebois

I wonder if they're leaving it up to Juulsen, Friedman, McWard and Woo to battle for that bottom pairing RD spot. 

The D is fine as is. Myers has proven he's fine in a top 4 role. Also, Friedman deserves a chance as something more than an afterthought. He's a genuinely good defenseman.

The biggest concern for me is getting another winger for Pettersson.

Whether that's now or at the deadline, I don't mind. I think the team, as is, is good enough to make the playoffs, but I'd like more offense from the EP line.

Edited by Petey O