[PGT] Holy Cow we did Things!! - Free Agency Thread - July 1st

Who stays, who goes?  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following Canuck forwards will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

2. 2. Which of the following Canuck defencemen will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

3. 3. Which of the following Canuck goalies will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

• Thatcher Demko
    • Arturs Silovs (RFA)
    • Casey DeSmith (UFA)

2 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

What he proved last year is he can be better with less minutes and the right partner. 
This D is still a dogs breakfast. Need another everyday lefty and a second pairing righty to really be a championship contender. 

Then money will have to be shifted from the forward core to the d-core. Who do you move on from in the forward core to bring in a 'second pairing righty'?

Garland, as mentioned above, could theoretically be replaced with Podkolzin, and then re-invested in the D, but I don't think that's a necessarily smart move considering he was the straw that stirred the drink on the third line.

Lateral move at best in terms of the effect on the team, in my opinion.

1 minute ago, BTueyCanucksFan said:

Defense-wise, it is possible that Woo finally takes a step forward as well. If he can have an amazing camp he could be a solid option also. Still would like a legit top 4 RHD though

Wouldn’t a step forward be regular top 4 in Abby. That would be a leap forward for a player that seems slow to adjust to levels and has barely seen preseason action. 

4 minutes ago, Petey O said:

Then money will have to be shifted from the forward core to the d-core. Who do you move on from in the forward core to bring in a 'second pairing righty'?

Garland, as mentioned above, could theoretically be replaced with Podkolzin, and then re-invested in the D, but I don't think that's a necessarily smart move considering he was the straw that stirred the drink on the third line.

Lateral move at best in terms of the effect on the team, in my opinion.

Given cap situation, that seems more like a deadline move. 
But this D as structured is paper thin and really has really good third pairing masquerading as a second pairing. One injury to top pairing and we are in deep shit. 

Edited by DrJockitch

I wouldn’t trade the 1st rounder next year. If EP stays subdued and our shooting % continues to hang around where it did at the end of the year. We are a few injuries away from missing the playoffs and that’s not the end of the world, it’s part of a natural progression. Look at NJ, Colorado, Edmonton in recent years. I can except a step back more than forcing us forward. 

5 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Yes to Skinner for the right price, but I'd rather not dump Suter who's been serviceable (agreed we could trade Podkolzin if we won't be playing him), and I wouldn't lock Boqvist in so soon, not sure he'll live up to that upside if he couldn't even do so in Columbus.

To be fair to Boqvist, Columbus has been a tire fire at best recently and he scored 11 goals a couple of years ago. Playing for a contender with an actual structure and coaching staff like ours could do wonders for his game. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Looking through TSN's top 50 list of whats available, some names that stand out

FWD

- Tarasenko

- Wennberg

- Skinner

- Sprong

- Roslovic

- Tyler Johnson

- Tyler Motte

- Christain Fischer

D

- Alex Carrier

- Justin Schultz

- Jani Hakanpaa

- PO Joseph

Wonder if they look to add some more scoring punch upfront or look at more puck movement on the backend. 

2 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Given cap situation, that seems more like a deadline move. 
But this D as structured is paper thin and really has really good third pairing masquerading as a second pairing. One injury to top pairing and we are in deep shit. 

I can understand your concern, and agree there are holes, but every team has holes in their roster. This is one we're going to have to deal with at least for now, barring other moves.

I think getting another winger for Pettersson is a bigger concern than the D in terms of long term performance, in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

FWD

- Tarasenko

- Wennberg

- Skinner

- Sprong

- Roslovic

- Tyler Johnson

- Tyler Motte

- Christain Fischer

D

- Alex Carrier

- Justin Schultz

- Jani Hakanpaa

- PO Joseph

Wonder if they look to add some more scoring punch upfront or look at more puck movement on the backend. 

I'll take that.

3 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

FWD

- Tarasenko

- Wennberg

- Skinner

- Sprong

- Roslovic

- Tyler Johnson

- Tyler Motte

- Christain Fischer

D

- Alex Carrier

- Justin Schultz

- Jani Hakanpaa

- PO Joseph

Forgot about Schultz.

No doubt they’ve taken a look at him.

2 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Garland for a bottom pairing RD (free a bit of cap) and then sign Skinner

Skinner - Miller - Boeser

Hoglander - Pettersson - DeBrusk

Joshua - Blueger - Suter would still be a good 3rd line.

Much much much rather have Garland than Skinner and didn’t he sign in Edmonton so nobody would keep telling him to try playing some D. 

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Haha 3

37 minutes ago, YourHuckleberry said:

Do DeBrusk, Heinen and Sherwood render Hoglander redundant in the lineup?

If so will he be moved to upgrade at wing or on D?

No, everyone thinking that Hoglander is getting moved don't understand how the cap works. You don't trade a 20 goal scorer who's on a 1.1 million contract, the math doesn't make sense. 

Edited by VegasCanuck
  • Cheers 2