[PGT] Holy Cow we did Things!! - Free Agency Thread - July 1st

Who stays, who goes?  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following Canuck forwards will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

2. 2. Which of the following Canuck defencemen will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

3. 3. Which of the following Canuck goalies will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

• Thatcher Demko
    • Arturs Silovs (RFA)
    • Casey DeSmith (UFA)

18 minutes ago, Jayinblack said:

I feel like there's a trade coming to bring another top 6 winger in (Necas ?)

Would likely mean Garland's $$ going the other way

It would salvage things a little.

Maybe with Pittsburgh flailing away and looking like it needs to go into rebuild we can use those connections for a trade as well.

The reality of it is that back door talks began as soon as a teams season ended. Call it acceptable tampering that all teams do.

Our gm clearly has known for a few weeks that certain players we and the media tied to wanting to sign here was in fact never going to happen

I think the gm has a plan based on what's available to fill the holes in the team for the start of the season and work in trades as it goes ( just like last year )

Some of the shiny new deals today would have required us to trade Brock as we wouldn't have had the cap space to extend him before the deadline this year ( next year's cap )

I wanted some of the shiny new players as well .... But not at the cost of what it would take

And I'd rather have a player here who wanted to be a Canuck .... Over a player who was only willing to be a Canuck if we matched the highest offer 

• Cheers 1

People need to look at history and realize this management does not like to overspend on D.

They already have 15 mil tied up to two D men, they’re not gonna make it 20 mil for 3.

Their MO has always been to spend on high end guys and scoring depth and then finding value contracts to fill out the D.

I imagine they’ll fill out the rest of the D with a 2-3 mil guy like Schultz or Hakkenpaa and another bottom guy like POJ or Boqvist 

Edited by DeNiro
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

People need to look at history and realize this management does not like to overspend on D.

They already have 15 mil tied up to two D men, they’re not gonna make it 20 mil for 3.

Their MO has always been to spend on high end guys and scoring depth and then finding value contracts to fill out the D.

I imagine they’ll fill out the rest of the D with a 2-3 mil guy like Schultz or Hakkenpaa and another bottom guy like POJ or Boqvist 

That’s fair especially with the top pairing we have. 
Have been saying all along that Soucy-Myers is really a good 3rd pair and a really good one, Zads last year was a really good third pairing D man. I think with Hughes-Hronek you can have a platoon of 2nd/3rd pairing tweeners below. My concern is we currently have 2 2nd/3rd pairing  guys and 3 6-8 guys in our top 7.

Edited by DrJockitch

59 minutes ago, Moose said:

That's not a fair comparison. Two key players were added during the season and the previous team was retaining salary. 

You have to compare our roster to the start of last season. 

It's not about being fair though.  It's about improvement from our playoff performance. If we just aim to be as good as we were last year, we're no further ahead then.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

No, everyone thinking that Hoglander is getting moved don't understand how thencap works. You don't trade a 20 goal scorer who's on a 1.1 million contract, the math doesn't make sense. 

Have to move value to get value. Somebody might give up an established player to change their cap structure/shake up their roster construction to take a chance on a streaky 20 goal scorer on a good contract. If the Canucks think Hoglander is nearing his ceiling, they may include him in a deal that adds higher end talent to the roster. Hockey is not just simple arithmetic, teams still have to consider roster make up and chemistry. Hoglander has certain NHL level skills (e.g. skating, stick handling) but he has not proven with his decision making that he can consistently put them together to be a fixture in the top 6. Even with DeBrusk, the team needs another consistent top 6 winger threat. I think the Canucks could dangle him for an upgrade.

49 minutes ago, BTueyCanucksFan said:

Still surprised that Matt Roy and Oliver Kylington haven't officially signed yet. Perhaps there is still hope?

Kylington is an interesting player- looked to be on his way to top 4 guy, then took a year off to deal with something in his personal life.

I'd take a chance and try to sign him--- our D is the biggest issue with the team, as it stands.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, HKSR said:

It's not about being fair though.  It's about improvement from our playoff performance. If we just aim to be as good as we were last year, we're no further ahead then.

But it is comparing apples to apples. PA was active all through the year and added a lot to the team as time went on. 
Comparing where the team is a few hours into UFA day compared to post deadline is not reasonable. 
‘Things will change as the year goes on.

Our forward depth is better now, our D is much worse and our goal tending may be better, may be worse. But better than this point last year. 

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Vintage 1