[PGT] Holy Cow we did Things!! - Free Agency Thread - July 1st

Who stays, who goes?  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following Canuck forwards will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

2. 2. Which of the following Canuck defencemen will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

3. 3. Which of the following Canuck goalies will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

• Thatcher Demko
    • Arturs Silovs (RFA)
    • Casey DeSmith (UFA)

6 minutes ago, hockeyfan-observer said:

Must be running out of cap space pretty soon with all their signings - or do the Leafs get an extension like Vegas 🙂

You're allowed to be 10% over the cap in the off-season. You just need to be compliant by the start of the season.

I agree that the LTIR stuff is obvious cap circumvention.

3 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

I think most of us agree that losing Big Z is a HUGE loss. You just don't find players that bring what he does. And having him on our side made us that much more difficult to play against. And Boston!???!!! No.

With that, I think the ball was in his court and he'd decided to take it to free agency and wasn't going to accept an offer here based on that. I don't know that if we'd gone to $5.5 he would've bit...he wanted to "see" for himself. Especially knowing multiple teams were interested and that could drive up his price.

He chased the money and we can't blame him for that. Except hopefully he'll regret his decision.

I thought he signed there for the extra year they offered compared with the Canucks but that the AAV was similar (5 million); 5 years versus 6 years in Boston.

Im underwhelmed and also not unhappy with anything done today.

Debrusk might be either .5 million over or a year longer than I'd like but that's fine.

Every other deal is literally made to be tradable in the event the team falters.

This is about as middle of the road as one can get for free agency and I rather like it for once.  

I just want to see a couple of seasons now where we're NOT trading out picks and assets/youth for rentals or to move contracts so we can actually stockpile something for the future.  

Edited by Warhippy
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

Heinen and Debrusk are quality players. 

We a lot got faster in the top 9. 

D looking a little weak though. Could use one more guy. 

If Allvin can somehow manage a top 4 Dman with the limited cap space we have we’ll be laughing. I think that makes or breaks how good we can be I think 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Heinen and Debrusk are quality players. 

We a lot got faster in the top 9. 

D looking a little weak though. Could use one more guy. 

Lots of time between now and beginning of next season, perhaps not done yet. Maybe a trade will fix that problem 

3 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

I thought he signed there for the extra year they offered compared with the Canucks but that the AAV was similar (5 million); 5 years versus 6 years in Boston.

I've been waiting for the details of the contract including what kind of clauses for trade protection. It doesn't seem like a huge gap in salary. That would mean term and trade clauses might have been the difference maker for him.

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Im underwhelmed and also not unhappy with anything done today.

Debrusk might be either .5 million over or a year longer than I'd like but that's fine.

Every other deal is literally made to be tradable in the event the team falters.

This is about as middle of the road as one can get for free agency and I rather like it for once.  

I just want to see a couple of seasons now where we're NOT trading out picks and assets/youth for rentals or to move contracts so we can actually stockpile something for the future.  

I generally agree with most of this.  I think it was a disciplined approach that might have a bigger positive impact than the sum of its parts.  

Some sharp bottom 6 additions could free up pieces to bolster the top 6. 

Need another addition on D - and I think they will before regular season begins.  Still, it can happen in-season too if nothing makes sense.

This team absolutely isn’t stockpiling, though. They had that opportunity when they took over and expectations were low.  

19 minutes ago, The Duke said:

We didn’t start the year with Zadorov.

I’m also not sure where you’re going with that obscure stat. Forbort is a defensive defenceman with PK utility - holding down a lead should be something he can help with. 

Im sure Cole was up there for us, but he declined as the year went on.  Why can’t Soucy or Myers do that, either? 

Soucy is a career 3rd pairing that can play up once in a while. Myers is getting older and who knows if Myers will be back to Myers after contract year? So replacing Cole and zadorov with forbort and Juulsen makes the defence better defensively? Seriously? Soucy Myers juulsen forbort none of them would be on any teams top4 pairings if given the choice but we not only have 1 but 2 of them 

3 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Wow....Wennberg gets 5 million x 2 from the Sharts....:classic_blink:

Sharks threw money at him and Toffoli. That’s the tough part about FA with the cap going up. Bottom feeders were going to drive prices up on guys who would have been affordable last year.

2 minutes ago, Devron said:

If Allvin can somehow manage a top 4 Dman with the limited cap space we have we’ll be laughing. I think that makes or breaks how good we can be I think 

Heinen was a quality signing. Debrusk I had pegged at 5-6M. 5.5 is alright but he is a multifaceted scoring forward who shows up in the playoffs. Is 27, plays with some grit and is a good forechecker. Tocchet will like him and he’s gonna be probably with Petey. 

• Cheers 1

Things I talk about every year that fans seem to always forget...

#1. You can exceed the cap by up to 10% during the summer and camp.

#2. You will ALWAYS finish training camp with more players on LTIR than you start camp with.

It's very possible that Washington is working on the basis of #2, or maybe the reason they are buying Capfriendly.com is they think they can manipulate cap numbers without the league noticing... 😉

8 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

We don't know for sure, but my guess is that he chased term, rather than money. PA likely made the 5 million offer as was reported, but likely weren't going to go 6 years....

Which is where the big mistake was if so.  With that said, I'm guessing there were other reasons behind this or they would have waited to see what other offers were out there.

7 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Lots of time between now and beginning of next season, perhaps not done yet. Maybe a trade will fix that problem 

And if anything like last year, the preseason is when PA is just getting warmed up, it is in season that he gets shit done. 

Edited by DrJockitch

I think PA has done a good job today, got 4 players for less money than he would have paid to keep the two that went to BeanTown. Our F group is shaping up nicely. If PA can get a 1 Yr value deal (~1m) on F such as Skinner/Tarasenko that be killer. On D there are a few options left all meh but serviceable on a 1yr deal Carrier, Shattenkirk, Brodie, Vaakanainen, Boqvist, Barrie... PA does have some cap space to pull off a trade, maybe get a good D for cheap depending on other teams cap space