[PGT] Holy Cow we did Things!! - Free Agency Thread - July 1st

Who stays, who goes?  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following Canuck forwards will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

2. 2. Which of the following Canuck defencemen will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

3. 3. Which of the following Canuck goalies will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

• Thatcher Demko
    • Arturs Silovs (RFA)
    • Casey DeSmith (UFA)

1 minute ago, The Duke said:

I’m not sure about Sherwood, but DeBrusk and Heinen are good two way guys.

Will need to be to help some of our lumbering D get the puck out.  

Could work. Definitely still a tough team to play against.

Sherwood was a thorn in our ass during the playoffs, now he can be thorn in their ass next time we play them

• Cheers 2

Desharmais, 2 years, 2 million each. They want big PKers and that’s a good thing. One more top 6 winger would be great but I think the money ran out. On a day of ‘frenzy’ and stupid over-payments, our GM bought wisely considering the insanity with both aav and terms given. Not like the JB years.

• Cheers 2

I think overall PA tried acquiring depth today along with supplementary forwards - and avoided the big splash players which may have cost 9M+ etc. When you have only 14M cap space, someone taking 2/3 of that will hinder your plans a bit.  Had they signed Lindy and Z at their contracts, would have left only about 2M remaining to fill the other positions.

Their D I think is as big as last year but losing out on Big Z mobility is a concern.  Hopefully Foote and Gonchar can get the best out of the acquisitions and improve their positioning even further.  Maybe they have players in ABBY that can address the mobility besides Hughes and Hronek.  They may also look at splitting that pair up at that times to spread out the D lines a bit.  Forward wise, I think the acquisitions are fine - all seem to be RT type players coming from defensive first organizations (Boston Nashville)

We will see if there are further trades in the near future.

Edited by hockeyfan-observer
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, The Duke said:

I’m not sure about Sherwood, but DeBrusk and Heinen are good two way guys.

Will need to be to help some of our lumbering D get the puck out.  

Could work. Definitely still a tough team to play against.

Sherwood pissed me off playing against him, good enough for me 

• Cheers 4

58 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

I can't imagine this was plan A or even plan C for Allvin. This has to be like Plan G.

That’s probably true - but he made some big nasty lemonade from those lemons.  

At bare minimum I’m sure Tocchet and Foote are happy.  Now it’s in their court to elevate these less than exciting pieces into a team. 

Edited by The Duke
  • Upvote 1

With nothing but depth additions and no credible top 4 on the blue line or top 6/star winger for Petey.

There HAS to be a plan to play Podkolzin or Lekkerimaki with him.  They absolutely can not fucking pay Petey $11 million a year to be a 2nd line pivot with players of the calibre of Mikheyev without hoping one of the kids will blossom in to the Burrows to his Henrik

Edited by Warhippy
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Well one thing's for sure Allvin is going nowhere near being a GM of the year finalist this coming season

On the contrary, I think. The Canucks didn't overspend on one guy and instead filled spots with certain players (with size) who could excel under Tocchet. They lost Zadorov, which was too bad, but they got even bigger on the backend. DeBrusk might really play well under Tocchet and with Petey. Show Podkolzin how it's done. 

Would rather some better skaters on the blueline after watching the most recent playoffs but we're clearly going for size. I think we'll split Hughes and Hronek because our other D are a lot worse than last year. Bunch of bottom pairing guys and two top elite defencemen.

Hughes - Desharnais

Forbot - Hronek

Soucy - Myers

Going with Sherwood and Heinen opens up the opportunity to move Garland and/or Joshua up the lineup as well.  

DeBrusk-Miller-Boeser

Joshua-Petey-Garland

Hoglander-Suter-Heinen

Sherwood-Bleuger-Podkolzin

or

Garland-Miller-Boeser

Debrusk-Petey-Heinen

Hoglander-Suter-Joshua

Or whatever combination you want, of course.  “The third line” worked with Suter, Bleuger and Lindholm last year.  Could always mix it up.

Edited by The Duke
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, The Duke said:

Going with Sherwood and Heinen opens up the opportunity to move Garland and/or Joshua up the lineup as well.  

DeBrusk-Miller-Boeser

Joshua-Petey-Garland

Hoglander-Suter-Heinen

Or whatever combination you want, of course.  “The third line” worked with Suter, Bleuger and Lindholm last year.  Could always mix it up.

So much solid forward depth.

So much size and nastiness in the D group.

So much calm and coolness in net.

• Cheers 1