[PGT] Holy Cow we did Things!! - Free Agency Thread - July 1st

Who stays, who goes?  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following Canuck forwards will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

2. 2. Which of the following Canuck defencemen will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

3. 3. Which of the following Canuck goalies will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

• Thatcher Demko
    • Arturs Silovs (RFA)
    • Casey DeSmith (UFA)

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

That's where our forwards need to provide outlets.  It's gotta be a team transition game.  The puck moves faster than any player can skate.

We also added a lot of speed at forward. 

Speed is good on the forecheck and back check, both of which help our transition game on both ends. 

• Like 3

Just now, HarbularyBattery said:

one defenseman has to be able to make a good pass or skate it out though, at least to get the puck to a forward

soucy-myers were not great at escaping the zone with control, whether pass or skate

very worried our new bottom pair is in the same boat

im hoping GMPA sits tight and lets the first 20 games or so play out with this lineup and then spend the cap space we have once its clear what we need more of

I think that'll be his approach unless a real bargain comes along (ie. Tarasenko for $2M)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Tarasenko or Sprong please.

Neither would come that cheap.

Atkinson was bought out but I could see him having one big bounce back year. 

He’s got great speed and is a very good penalty killer. I’d take a flyer on him for 1 mil. Fits Tocchett’s style of play.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Neither would come that cheap.

Atkinson was bought out but I could see him having one big bounce back year. 

He’s got great speed and is a very good penalty killer. I’d take a flyer on him for 1 mil. Fits Tocchett’s style of play.

Atkinson is tiny tho lol... 5'8" 175lbs...

8 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Heinen is a 20 goal guy on that line. Hes a really good 2 way player as well. So Boeser and Miller can play a bit more offensive minded..

Heinen is exactly the type of player that's needed on that line. 

So all in all an upgrade on Suter. That'll work. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yet he plays like he’s 6’+.

You think Sprong plays big? I’d take Atkinson over him any day.

Sprong though is solid, hard to knock off the puck. Extremely fast and has elite hands. He would have been a great add on the right side on Pettersson's line if the team wanted to spend in the 4m per range.

• Like 1

Never said Sprong plays big at all.  He's very fast and his offensive production is very good.  He's 27yo, so just hitting his prime.

Atkinson is 35yo and just had his worst season ever.  Likelihood is he is winding down and his career will be over shortly.

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Never said Sprong plays big at all.  He's very fast and his offensive production is very good.  He's 27yo, so just hitting his prime.

Atkinson is 35yo and just had his worst season ever.  Likelihood is he is winding down and his career will be over shortly.

One will cost around a mil and the other won’t that’s the difference.

Dont need him to be good for 5 years just one more solid season. If it doesn’t work you put him on waivers and bury the cap.

2 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Biggest need was a better defenseman. This was not met with the additions of Forbort and Desharnais. A Kylington puck mover type was needed for the 3rd pair.

I think Desharnais and Juuĺsen are comparable. I want better than that.

Yes D is scary now. I would have loved Big Z back. Best we should hope for is that we are better on the PK and our team defence matures one more year. We really are buying time for 1 or more of our kids to develop. 

• Upvote 1

Sprong is an interesting player. He gets 3rd line minutes and usually plays on 2nd pp. I don’t have stats in front of me but I remember looking at his numbers a bit ago before free agency started and he’s a heck of a 5 v 5 scorer. Most of his points come from that. I think he’s a solid add but a bit redundant for us unless we trade Hoggy or Garland.

Whats crazy to me is that Jack Roslovic is still on the market!? He had a solid playoffs with the Rags…he’s also a right handed center. He’s probably holding out for a big contract…but he’s got more to prove before he asks that so he may wait himself out and get stuck signing a 1 year show me deal.

I’d scoop him up in a heartbeat. Another Ohio boy like Miller.

One will cost around a mil and the other won’t that’s the difference.

Dont need him to be good for 5 years just one more solid season. If it doesn’t work you put him on waivers and bury the cap.

I rather save the mil then and wait til the TDL.  

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I rather save the mil then and wait til the TDL.  

Id rather have Suter in the bottom 6.

I think we still need one more value contract that we can squeeze a good season out of. I don’t care who it is but if we want a net gain in goals we need more in the top 6.

6 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Biggest need was a better defenseman. This was not met with the additions of Forbort and Desharnais. A Kylington puck mover type was needed for the 3rd pair.

I think Desharnais and Juuĺsen are comparable. I want better than that.

I don’t see a big issue with this. They just solidified things for next year. You’re bottom 6 D can be rounded out fairly cost effectively each year thru UFA. Our RD is shored up until Willander is ready.

It sucks losing Z and I was a fan. The one thing I noticed is that he always picked on the smaller guys, sure it’s part of his tactic to get offensive players thinking twice. But he never dished out much to bigger guys. Plus he’s sure a lot of talk for a guy that can’t fight very well.

Add in his defensive blunders and he’s not worth what he thinks he is. He gets lost in the dzone more than I’d like to admit. I glazed past it because of all the other things he brings…but a top 4 consistent defender he is not. There were lots of times last season where he gets stuck defending and just gets grinded down. Makes bad passes and gives the puck away. It happened a lot. Even in the playoffs.

I’m super happy we didn’t commit any long term contracts to any ufas 29 and up. So many players drop off after 32/33.

Overall our teams very shored up and looking to be another competitive roster next year.

Plus we still have cap space! 

31 minutes ago, Lady Blue Green said:

No he wasn't their top priority. He was asked if they thought they might have a chance for any of the big name FAs. He answered, well we thought for sure we had a chance at Jake and then laughed. He was referring to Jake Debrusk. The Canucks never had a chance at the other Jake as he never hit FA. They could not have possibly thought they had a chance to land a player that they never had a chance to speak to. It was media driven speculation that the other Jake was their top target. The media has tied the Canucks to every top FA. Then they spin that the Canucks lost plan A and plan B and had to circle back to plan C and D. What drivel. 

I for one do not believe this. Would they have liked him? Oh for sure. But they never had plans to blow 9-10 M on one guy. They had too many holes to fill. Allvin said that they had a list of 3-4 guys they targeted. Debrusk, Sherwood and Heinan were the top 3. Forbort was also someone they targeted after they lost Cole. For 5.5 per what other forward should he have targeted? 7 years is 1-2 years longer than I would have liked but they wouldn't have gotten him without going to 7. Both Calgary and Edmonton kicked the tires because Jake wanted to be out West closer to family. While cap was not a problem term was. So that was the price we paid to get the guy we could afford and felt would fill a need. His NMC is only for the first 3-4 years then he has a MNTC. His contract will age well. 

Not sure what some fans expected today. This is a refreshing day from years past when we have been the ones to blow the wad and over pay. Allvin has bought us a couple of years of developmental time while icing a competitive lineup. Next year our FAs up front are: Boeser, PDG, Suter, with Hoglander being RFA. On D, Juulsen, Friedman and Forbort are our UFAs with no FAs. That makes for an easier off season while Poolman is done and the cap goes up. In 2 years we then lose Soucy and Desharnais. Precious time to develop some back enders. 

Allvin also said he does not want to be into LTIR if he can help it. I think if he can he will move the Poolman contract. Our current roster, according to Cap Friendly, has us with a roster of 14 forwards, 8 dmen and 2 goalies. Also with Poolman on LTIR. So we know we are at 24 players and 1 will have to be traded or waived. That will free up 800-1 M.  Candidates are to me anyway: Aman, PDG, Friedman, Podkolzin, Hoglander, depending upon if it is a trade or waivers. If we could move one of those players plus the Poolman contract we could save another 3.6, give or take.  We would be fully cap compliant, roster set, with cap to add or improve the team. 

Don't buy the spin that we lost out on our plan A or B and had to settle. Does a disservice to the intelligence of Allvin and crew. Media driven drivel.

I'm not adding any spin. Go check the transcript. He said they were "very close" to getting JG, before they pivoted to others.