[PGT] Holy Cow we did Things!! - Free Agency Thread - July 1st

Who stays, who goes?  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following Canuck forwards will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

2. 2. Which of the following Canuck defencemen will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

3. 3. Which of the following Canuck goalies will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

• Thatcher Demko
    • Arturs Silovs (RFA)
    • Casey DeSmith (UFA)

48 minutes ago, Moeknows said:

Could have been Guentzel, or Monahan or Stamkos.

Guentzel was way over payed IMO and would have crippled any real attempt to add valuable speed and depth in the middle 6. Monahan had a couple of really good years in Calgary playing with Kapuke and Gaudreau; otherwise he has been an ~ 60 pt player that never seemed to be the same after coming off a lengthy injury. Stamko's is to old to be a very good fit on this team and any contract offered would probably be year to year.

• Upvote 1

Based on the quality of the players we brought in I’d give management a solid C+. But given the restraint shown in not doling out a single gross overpay, I’ll bump the complete score to a B. No Benning-ish July 1st shenanigans were to be seen.

Not ecstatic about the day, but as someone else said and I agree, I find myself content with what transpired.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Guentzel was way over payed IMO and would have crippled any real attempt to add valuable speed and depth in the middle 6. Monahan had a couple of really good years in Calgary playing with Kapuke and Gaudreau; otherwise he has been an ~ 60 pt player that never seemed to be the same after coming off a lengthy injury. Stamko's is to old to be a very good fit on this team and any contract offered would probably be year to year.

like the other s u totally missed my point....but ill take the blame for that. Cheers

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Moeknows said:

like the other s u totally missed my point....but ill take the blame for that. Cheers

Guentzel or Stamkos would've been incredible and I'd be lying if I said wasn't a bit disappointed we missed out them after all that speculation, but we're a better, deeper team with the signings we made today. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Umm you realize he scored 40 and had 81 points last season right?

His production is not going anywhere over the next 4 years. He’ll be producing like Pavelski.

Hmmm i wonder why Tampa (who knows him best) refused to give him anything remotely close to this ridiculous contract. 

As a matter of fact they offered him 3mill aav on long term retirement contract..... And that was being nice to him because he's been their captain for 15 years. 

Paying a 34 yr old 8 mill 4 yrs is just stupid.. especially à one trick pony. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Hmmm i wonder why Tampa (who knows him best) refused to give him anything remotely close to this ridiculous contract. 

As a matter of fact they offered him 3mill aav on long term retirement contract..... And that was being nice to him because he's been their captain for 15 years. 

They wanted Guentzel which left no money for Stamkos.

After their recent playoff failures they clearly thought changing the culture was the way to go.

Doesnt mean he’s not a valuable player anymore. And clearly Nashville was one of a handful of teams willing to pay big money for him. And they don’t usually hand out big contracts. I think they might know something too.

16 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

He's basically earning what Boeser would be earning on our team. He's a more consistent offensive threat than Boeser too. 

18 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Did Stamkos bang your significant other before you came into the picture or something?

3 hours ago, Mando27 said:

Overall pretty content with the signings today. There were some insane contracts going out and glad the Nucks stayed away.

Insane is a good way to put it. I knew it would be bad but turned out worse than I thought. Paying guys big money until they’re 40. Or guys that were a cap dump signing huge deals. Old ass defencemen getting monster deals. Outrageous day 

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Our defense is getting bigger, but also slower and with even worse puck movement. You want big but big that can either skate or move the puck.

I don’t see Forbort and Desharnais being penciled into the 5-6 spots. 

I see them being guys that are ahead of Juulsen so we have more depth and he’s not a regular. Juulsen has taken big steps but he should not be a regular in the lineup.

I would take a flyer on Boqvist. He’s still young enough to salvage and the upside is good.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Devron said:

Insane is a good way to put it. I knew it would be bad but turned out worse than I thought. Paying guys big money until they’re 40. Or guys that were a cap dump signing huge deals. Old ass defencemen getting monster deals. Outrageous day 

Yea I thought we could get a guy like Edmundson on a cheaper 1-2 year deal. Even he went for term and almost 4 mil.

• Upvote 1

We are building a brand.

The mid 90’s Wings and Devils were masters of the brand. They both won multiple cups and made the playoffs for like 20 years straight. There were players that were only successful within those organizations because those players were wings or Devils. 

One thing this team has always struggled to find is an identity. Even in the 2011 era the team was basically built off the Sedin’s with a mix mash of different players. 
Since Tocchett arrived things have immediately changed. We have a brand, we have a flavour. Every player signed today is a Rick Toccheteer. Hard on the puck, hard on the boards, hard on everyone. We have a direction now 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I don’t see Forbort and Desharnais being penciled into the 5-6 spots. 

I see them being guys that are ahead of Juulsen so we have more depth and he’s not a regular. Juulsen has taken big steps but he should not be a regular in the lineup.

I would take a flyer on Boqvist. He’s still young enough to salvage and the upside is good.

Boqvist or Bransson (sp?) I’d take a flyer on. Just to have a guy that can move the puck and we might luck out with a top 6 Dman 

22 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I love Stammer but Nashville is gonna find out real soon someone needs to spoon feed him set up plays or he’s gonna regress hard. He’s the Canadian version of Ovechkin. He’s got an elite talent but needs the right mix to be successful.

Nashville doesn’t really have any those players. That team is built on north/south play…hope i’m wrong but this deal could be bad.

Maybe him and Marchesseault will light it up. Some of his best years were playing with St. Louis on his wing.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Sprong is an interesting player. He gets 3rd line minutes and usually plays on 2nd pp. I don’t have stats in front of me but I remember looking at his numbers a bit ago before free agency started and he’s a heck of a 5 v 5 scorer. Most of his points come from that. I think he’s a solid add but a bit redundant for us unless we trade Hoggy or Garland.

Whats crazy to me is that Jack Roslovic is still on the market!? He had a solid playoffs with the Rags…he’s also a right handed center. He’s probably holding out for a big contract…but he’s got more to prove before he asks that so he may wait himself out and get stuck signing a 1 year show me deal.

I’d scoop him up in a heartbeat. Another Ohio boy like Miller.

Good call out on Roslovic

I've mentioned him many times if we can vet him in day 2 3 4 etc of free agency on a bargain I'd be all over it

Debrusk - Petterson - Roslovic would be a solid line if you ask me.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Pears said:

If PDG is waived/sent down and we use Podkolzin as a trade chip, we'd have $4.5 million left. Would you use that on a forward or a defenseman?

Top 6 Forward (50-75% Retained)

Bottom Pair Defenceman (50-75% Retained)

• Like 1

Just now, bh90 said:

Good call out on Roslovic

I've mentioned him many times if we can vet him in day 2 3 4 etc of free agency on a bargain I'd be all over it

Debrusk - Petterson - Roslovic would be a solid line if you ask me.

Totally agree. I do think he has preference to stay in the states. But Vancouver is usually an “exception” to the rule for a lot of American players. Would be a fine piece of work bringing him in if we could.

7 minutes ago, Devron said:

Boqvist or Bransson (sp?) I’d take a flyer on. Just to have a guy that can move the puck and we might luck out with a top 6 Dman 

Not sure I see an NHLer in Brannstrom.

Boqvist on the other hand is still just a raw talent that has played in two horrible organizations that had no direction. 

Give him some good coaching from Gonchar who could teach him a ton. Break down his game and build him back up and you might still have something there.

Could be a classic late blooming Swedish player.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1