[PGT] Holy Cow we did Things!! - Free Agency Thread - July 1st

Who stays, who goes?  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following Canuck forwards will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

2. 2. Which of the following Canuck defencemen will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

3. 3. Which of the following Canuck goalies will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

• Thatcher Demko
    • Arturs Silovs (RFA)
    • Casey DeSmith (UFA)

36 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

To start the season last season we didn’t have Zadorov or Lindholm and we started off pretty damn well.

Is Debrusk an upgrade over Kuzmenko? The way he was playing I would say yes.

Is Heinen an upgrade over Mikheyev? Pretty even but Heinen scored more goal and was more prominent on the pk. The contract difference obviously factors in too.

Sherwood compared to Lafferty is close production wise but I would give the edge to Sherwood in physicality and pk ability.

Forbort compared to Cole is again pretty similar. Forbort is younger and better on the pk but Cole is probably the better all around player. Can Cole continue at that level for much longer though? I’d take the younger bigger guy.

And then if you wanna compare Desharnais to Zadorov you can, but like I said we didn’t start with Zadorov. Both similar size and physical play but obviously Zadorov is far superior in skating and puck movement. Deharnais has him beat in pk ability and fighting ability though.

But like I keep saying the roster isn’t finished.

Cole in the first half of the season was our 3rd best D by a wide margin.  We had three solid pairings so didn’t have to over work Soucy-Myers.

When he started falling apart with a large workload we picked up Zadorov to take up a lot of hard minutes.

Forbort-Desharnais is not a pairing that can reliably play 18 minutes a night.

I can only imagine that we are going to be playing in the secondary signing/trade market. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

7 hours ago, Darius said:

That defence is Yuge...i havent taken the time to compare but its got to be the biggest D in the NHL.  Tocchet/Gonchar/Foote system as a framework this will be a nasty team to play against.  The additions of Heinen, Sherwood and Debrusk enforce this.

Honestly I fell in love with Zadorov.  He helped them turn into the bullies instead of the other way around.  He is a unique player. It is disappointing to see him go.  When it comes to pure hockey though, defending, passing, penalty killing....are we really that much worse off than last year behind the blue line?  At some point in the next couple years Im guessing Willander will be brought in.

I'm expecting us to take a step backwards this year but I always did.  The following year enters OEL's big cap hit for 2 years but Poolman's cap hit + OEL's current cap hit pretty much even things out for the next three years in terms of dead cap space.  This is perhaps the best win of the free agency is that management has limited the potential for huge buyouts in the future (assuming DeBrusk plays at least at a Garland level).  No more huge, lengthy contracts for aging players.

• Cheers 2

46 minutes ago, Provost said:

Cole in the first half of the season was our 3rd best D by a wide margin.  We had three solid pairings so didn’t have to over work Soucy-Myers.

When he started falling apart with a large workload we picked up Zadorov to take up a lot of hard minutes.

Forbort-Desharnais is not a pairing that can reliably play 18 minutes a night.

I can only imagine that we are going to be playing in the secondary signing/trade market. 

Agree.....the D has suddenly become more ordinary whereas this last season I'd rank the D very high overall for the history of the Canucks.  They'll need to look to improve further.  Losing Zadorov was significant.

58 minutes ago, Devron said:

Tampa got worse all cause they had their eyes fixed on Guentzel. Thats what happens when you have tunnel vision in Free Agency. 

They would have done the same if they kept Stamkos, I think. I say Bolts made the right decision. 

I wouldn't count out any moves the Bolts do. They may end up being the same team as last season. 

9 minutes ago, Googlie said:

It’s not that so many are dissing him he’s just not ideal long term in the top 6. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Devron said:

Tampa got worse all cause they had their eyes fixed on Guentzel. Thats what happens when you have tunnel vision in Free Agency. 

Yup. They’re cooked. The Empties see Tampa missing the playoffs. Old and slow. And ugly. Close between them and Edmonton for the ugliest team. They should wear paper bags instead of helmets. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

They would have done the same if they kept Stamkos, I think. I say Bolts made the right decision. 

I wouldn't count out any moves the Bolts do. They may end up being the same team as last season. 

Stammer would have taken a discount to stay in Tampa. Would have been 5-6 million. They offered him 3….. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Devron said:

Stammer would have taken a discount to stay in Tampa. Would have been 5-6 million. They offered him 3….. 

Tampa is going to have troubles in their room. Stamkos bled for that club and was their captain for two Cups. He was their best player in this recent playoffs. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

It’s not that so many are dissing him he’s just not ideal long term in the top 6. 

1 hour ago, Devron said:

Bottom six guy that can fill in the top 6 when injuries hit. Ideally. Didn’t like him permanently in the top 6 last year 

These. Good role player but shouldn't be a regular in the top six if we want to get to where we want to go. 

Edited by Pears
wrong "where"
  • Cheers 4

27 minutes ago, Devron said:

Bottom six guy that can fill in the top 6 when injuries hit. Ideally. Didn’t like him permanently in the top 6 last year 

He was great. Boeser and Miller both had career years with him on the wing for most of the season.

Edited by J-23
  • Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

We lost Z who is our big hard hitting tough guy but we have now constructed the team that is harder to play against as a team. 

Team tughness went up today to replace Zadorovs departure. 

Love that we added guys like DeBrusk, Heinen, Sherwood, Foburt, Desharnais. 

Not a single soft player. 

We've become a much harder team to play against. 

As long as the D holds up, it's gonna be an exciting year

That is great.I just want them to add via trade another 25 to 30 goal scorer.

But maybe Podz is ready to break out,we also have players like Raty, Karlsson,Bains who might breakout this year.

In two years Lekker , EPD and Willander.

Just think if 4 of them make it big time.

• Honkin Hronek changed the title to [PGT] Holy Cow we did Things!! - Free Agency Thread - July 1st
3 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

I'm expecting us to take a step backwards this year but I always did.  The following year enters OEL's big cap hit for 2 years but Poolman's cap hit + OEL's current cap hit pretty much even things out for the next three years in terms of dead cap space.  This is perhaps the best win of the free agency is that management has limited the potential for huge buyouts in the future (assuming DeBrusk plays at least at a Garland level).  No more huge, lengthy contracts for aging players.

I don't think this team can afford to take a step back. That already happened after the 2019/2020 season. I can't imagine the core players accepting that after the mess they went through.

Plus the team doesn't exactly have a long window (perhaps 2 to 3 years) maybe they get lucky and extend it through some good fortunes but they way this team is constructed, I don't think taking a step back is a good idea anymore 

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

While I'm happy they spread the cap around instead of big game hunting, I think they should have focused on really bolstering the defence.  PA dropped the ball their, imo.

C+, maybe a B

I was totally focused on a big signing but how the day went yesterday you were right.

Spread the cap and make these deals was great.

God Job and for me its clearly a B

They said they wanted to be faster and more physical and harder to play against and they went out and made us just that.  I like they set a clear goal and achieve it.  

Will be lots of battles at camp and we have a couple young guys who should be in those battles. Bains, Karlsson, Raty, Juulsen Silovs to name the top few.  

I don't think we made the team more talented today.  But more deep and maybe that is a better team.  Maybe an even more resilient team.  But yes a hockey trade or two is possible.  Waiving a few players to get down to 23 is probable this year too.  

I'm glad they showed restraint in their signings and targets. Maybe that's me giving them the benefit of doubt, still, the result stands.

The one troubling thing is the term on the DeBrusk deal if he ends up not being a fit. That's a long time to have another misfit winger kicking about but here's to hoping the pro scouts have found yet another fit. Most of what I've been able to gather from the reactions of fans and media is that the majority are bullish on the deal.  

Looking at the defense they can't be satisfied with where they are at right now. I'd say it's somewhat likely that one of the forwards is moved on to facilitate a move for a top4d in the right age group as the rest of the core.

If you consider their signings I believe that the target will be a lefty allowing Soucy to form a bottom pair with Desharnais. That's a formidable bottom pair for a playoff team. I'm not convinced they'll get better results by splitting up Hughes and Hronek. If they do, then Myers can play bottom pair minutes or he's with Hughes. 

They need a top 4 LHD. Hughes, Hronek and Soucy should all be able to "carry" one partner each. 

I don't know, I don't like trying to make out pairings with what they've got right now. Not enough quality there and Myers is likely cemented in the top 4. Pray for a Desharnais coming out party? too many question marks. Let's go PA.  

Edited by DeltaSwede
  • Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

6 hours ago, EB43 said:

Odd choice, signing Guentzel until he’s 36, when they could have re-signed their captain who has similar numbers (of recent) and has shown no sign of regression for 1.5m less to the age of 38

Brisbois’s jumping the shark moment was the Tanner Jeannot trade a few years ago. Now, he’s trying desperately to keep his job with this move.

TB still has some decent talent, but their getting old together, and a great coach.  Can see this team slowly backsliding, and possibly missing the playoffs. 

• Cheers 1