[PGT] Holy Cow we did Things!! - Free Agency Thread - July 1st

Who stays, who goes?  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following Canuck forwards will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

2. 2. Which of the following Canuck defencemen will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

3. 3. Which of the following Canuck goalies will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

• Thatcher Demko
    • Arturs Silovs (RFA)
    • Casey DeSmith (UFA)

3 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

So all of the names people bandied about for weeks, were "concerned" about, were "worried" about, rocked back and forth about, argued about, were up in arms about, wrote essays about ... never materialized and aren't on the roster. 

As I rocked back and forth on my rocking chair on the sundeck, I thought maybe it's a blessing in disguise. If we ended up with Guentzel, how long will it take for fans to throw pitch forks if he's like Loui can't name last name. He'd be coming from Eastern teams where they play differently than Western teams. He's gotta get used to the worst travel in the NHL. 

Other thing too, Petey has got to figure it out himself as well.

• Cheers 1

Just now, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

As I rocked back and forth on my rocking chair on the sundeck, I thought maybe it's a blessing in disguise. If we ended up with Guentzel, how long will it take for fans to throw pitch forks if he's like Loui can't name last name. He'd be coming from Eastern teams where they play differently than Western teams. He's gotta get used to the worst travel in the NHL. 

I was thinking more about those rocking back and forth in a straightjacket but ... 😉

I agree. The first time Guentzel struggled, people would turn on him and then you'd never hear the end of it. Glad we spread out the money the way we did and addressed multiple needs. 

Petey most definitely needs to figure himself out. 

• Cheers 2
  • Wiener 1

15 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

I mean same can be said about Debrusk. Yes the contract and elite tier level is much higher for Guentzel so expectations are higher for him but, if Debrusk underperforms, he will get a similar level of scrutiny.

Edited by iinatcc

Really solid work from Allvin yesterday.  Love the Sherwood and Heinen pickups particularly but Deharnais could be a sleeper pick.  Lots depends on how well DeBrusk meshes with Petey, but long run, he may not have to be the primary scoring option if Lekerimakki works out, just a ferocious forechecker who also gives that line a chance to score on the rush.  Agree with those who think we may need someone who can move the puck on our bottom D pairing.  Pretty sure we're not done yet, though, and that will be coming.

Edited by Maniwaki Canuck
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Really solid work from Allvin yesterday.  Love the Sutherland and Heinen pickups particularly but Deharnais could be a sleeper pick.  Lots depends on how well DeBrusk meshes with Petey, but long run, he may not have to be the primary scoring option if Lekerimakki works out, just a ferocious forechecker who also gives that line a chance to score on the rush.  Agree with those who think we may need someone who can move the puck on our bottom D pairing.  Pretty sure we're not done yet, though, and that will be coming.

NO Klingberg.   Or did someone get him already?    I'm glad at least they didn't lose size.   And did exactly what I was hoping for in the forward group.   It's time to stop now.   We should keep some cap. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I was thinking more about those rocking back and forth in a straightjacket but ... 😉

I agree. The first time Guentzel struggled, people would turn on him and then you'd never hear the end of it. Glad we spread out the money the way we did and addressed multiple needs. 

Petey most definitely needs to figure himself out. 

He's been paid to elevate those around him. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

9 hours ago, canucks curse said:

Podz+ 2026 1st for pinto 

If we’re trading those assets it’s for a second pairing RD. Our main issue with the team set as it is, Myers works best on a third pairing. 

Scott Mayfield would be an option worth looking at via trade until Willander is ready and I doubt he’d cost Podz + 1st.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Googlie said:

On Nov 30th, the day before we aquired Zad, our D was:

Hughes-Hronek

Cole- Myers

Friedman- Juulsen 

Is it better today?  By a country mile (and would still be better if we inserted Soucy in place of Cole and dropped Friedman

What was our record......

24 games, 15 wins, 8 losses. 1 OT loss.  31 points, tied for 2nd in Conference with Avs, behind Vegas,  tied 4th overall

1st in the entire league in goals for with 92, Avs next at 83

9th in the league in goals against at 61, but 3rd in Conference behind Kings and  Vegas 

1st overall in goal diff at +31

That was a good team before we aquired Zad.   Not extending him stings,  but we're a better-rounded team now than then.  110 points here we come!!

Good job well done by PA and his team

That was the REGULAR SEASON.

21 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

I still think the Canucks need one more LD. Can Soucy and Forbort stay healthy? 

Hughes - Hronek

Soucy - Myers

? - Desharnais

Forbort - Juulsen

Brisebois - Friedman

Hirose - McWard

Woo

I been saying this..We need a puck moving d-man, We just signed defenceman from the same tribe as Myers...feels like we're going to be hemmed up a lot in our O/Z and the forwards are going to come free the puck and there goes our transition game.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Sika21 said:

If we’re trading those assets it’s for a second pairing RD. Our main issue with the team set as it is, Myers works best on a third pairing. 

Scott Mayfield would be an option worth looking at via trade until Willander is ready and I doubt he’d cost Podz + 1st.

I don't think Willander needs 5 or 6 years to make it 

18 hours ago, Bob Long said:

ANA did nothing today, and they are 8 mil from the floor. I would imagine if we needed to move Garly for another top 6 like Necas, this would be the place he could end up. 

It's really weird that they didn't do a single thing. They have cap space and their GM was saying they want to add a top 4D and to add in their top six.

Guess they could go after Sprong, Tarasenko, and Roslovic. Tatar and Atkinson maybe.

Or maybe they'll do as you've said and make trades.

15 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Sprong is an interesting player. He gets 3rd line minutes and usually plays on 2nd pp. I don’t have stats in front of me but I remember looking at his numbers a bit ago before free agency started and he’s a heck of a 5 v 5 scorer. Most of his points come from that. I think he’s a solid add but a bit redundant for us unless we trade Hoggy or Garland.

Whats crazy to me is that Jack Roslovic is still on the market!? He had a solid playoffs with the Rags…he’s also a right handed center. He’s probably holding out for a big contract…but he’s got more to prove before he asks that so he may wait himself out and get stuck signing a 1 year show me deal.

I’d scoop him up in a heartbeat. Another Ohio boy like Miller.

Sprong and Roslovic are very intriguing, I think it's more likely we might be able to nab one of them on a one year deal than someone like Tarasenko.

13 hours ago, Provost said:

Cole in the first half of the season was our 3rd best D by a wide margin.  We had three solid pairings so didn’t have to over work Soucy-Myers.

When he started falling apart with a large workload we picked up Zadorov to take up a lot of hard minutes.

Forbort-Desharnais is not a pairing that can reliably play 18 minutes a night.

I can only imagine that we are going to be playing in the secondary signing/trade market. 

We'd have to move cap out to add a top 4D. Does moving Garland allow us to grab one of Roslovic or Sprong and someone who can play top 4? Hard to say, depends on the cap hit coming back.

12 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

It’s not that so many are dissing him he’s just not ideal long term in the top 6. 

Yeah, Suter is a very serviceable utility guy, but ideally he'd not be in the top 6 imo. 

10 hours ago, canucks curse said:

Anyone else have sneaking suspicion we are going to try to get pinto or Necas?

what do you think Ottawa wants for pinto 

podz+ Silovs lol

I think Carolina might have to find a way to keep Necas given the talent they bled. Their forward group looks quite weak without Necas and Jarvis. 

3 hours ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Man I hope we can get Sprong for a song like we did Suter

I'd be down for that, or someone like Roslovic.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, bh90 said:

I'm not so sure about that

PA specified Forbot was one of their top targets 

And Dwaharnais and Juulsen defenietly have the potential to continue to improve

Hughes and Hronek might also get split

I think rhe current intention is to start with our current group of 7 D and use first quarter/half of season to assess and see how pieces fit. Than maintain that cap flexibility to be able to add pieces in-season as needed.

But the calling card for Forbot and Desharnais is PK. Our PK was one of the worst to start last season.

Forbot has been pretty consistent and reliable. It's understandable why he was one of their top targets. He's an excellent replacement for Cole. His experience is going to help and be noticeable, imo.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1