[PGT] Holy Cow we did Things!! - Free Agency Thread - July 1st

Who stays, who goes?  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following Canuck forwards will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

2. 2. Which of the following Canuck defencemen will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

3. 3. Which of the following Canuck goalies will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

• Thatcher Demko
    • Arturs Silovs (RFA)
    • Casey DeSmith (UFA)

Overall pretty have w free agency.  Canucks stuck to their balanced, pita-to-play-against identity.  Some intriguing adds that have a chance to pop if they mesh well w the team/coaching staff.

Hearing RJ talk highly of Smith is interesting.

2 hours ago, Nucker67 said:

Noticed the Oilers are now almost $2.5 over the cap. They still kept signing players (Skinner, Arvidsson, Perry, Henrique, etc)

Are the Oilers trying to trade Kane?  I am wondering if the Canucks would be involved, just because of the type of player Kane is. Coached by Tocchet, they might believe Kane could be a beast. I think his past troubles are behind him..?  Assuming that's all good:

Kane - Miller - Boeser

DeBrusk - Pettersson - Hoglander

Good to see Suter out of there anyway. It looks like a tougher Top 6.

If not Kane, who else? I don't think Carolina is going to part with Necas or Jarvis.

Nucks put high value on good character guys, Kane is the opposite. Not worth it even at 2m. Dirty player who has a history of alienating his teammates. Fit like a glove in Edmonton with divers, whiners, and buttplugs (Perry). 

• Like 2
  • ThereItIs 1

10 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

We can afford 3m, just barely, but itll work

We can afford over $5 million.

$2.75 million now with a 23 man roster.  Add $1.75-$2 million if you drop it to a 21 man roster which many teams run with now and that is $4.5 million.  Add in the $775k-$1 million for the person that the new signing pushes out of the roster... = $5.5ish million room.

We have room for another significant piece at forward or defence.  If we decide to move Garland because Heinen can do that job, we can add basically anyone we want including a big piece like Necas or Trouba. 

Debrusk-Petterson-Hoglander
Podkolzin-Miller-Boeser
Joshua-Suter-Heinen
Sherwood-Blueger-Karlsson
PDG

Hughes-Trouba ($2.5-3.0 million retained)
Soucy-Hronek
Forbort-Myers
Desharnier

or...

Debrusk-Petterson-Necas
Podkolzin-Miller-Boeser
Joshua-Suter-Heinen

Hughes-Hronek
Soucy-Myers
Forbort-Desharnier
Juulsen

• Cheers 3

Noticed the Oilers are now almost $2.5 over the cap. They still kept signing players (Skinner, Arvidsson, Perry, Henrique, etc)

Are the Oilers trying to trade Kane?  I am wondering if the Canucks would be involved, just because of the type of player Kane is. Coached by Tocchet, they might believe Kane could be a beast. I think his past troubles are behind him..?  Assuming that's all good:

Kane - Miller - Boeser

If not Kane, who else? I don't think Carolina is going to part with Necas or Jarvis.

FUCK NO TO KANE!!!

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, HKSR said:

So the Caps are way over the cap limit, even with LTIR.  They need to clear over $4M in cap.  Roster of 22 only.  Anybody worth poaching?

Ethan Bear is 1 more year at 2 million. 

How do we feel about him? Could be the puck moving Dman we wanted to add. Has shown he can manage top 4 minutes okay in the past.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

We can afford over $5 million.

$2.75 million now with a 23 man roster.  Add $1.75-$2 million if you drop it to a 21 man roster which many teams run with now and that is $4.5 million.  Add in the $775k-$1 million for the person that the new signing pushes out of the roster... = $5.5ish million room.

We have room for another significant piece at forward or defence.  If we decide to move Garland because Heinen can do that job, we can add basically anyone we want including a big piece like Necas or Trouba. 

Debrusk-Petterson-Hoglander
Podkolzin-Miller-Boeser
Joshua-Suter-Heinen
PDG

Hughes-Trouba ($2.5-3.0 million retained)
Soucy-Hronek
Forbort-Myers
Desharnier

or...

Debrusk-Petterson-Necas
Podkolzin-Miller-Boeser
Joshua-Suter-Heinen

Hughes-Hronek
Soucy-Myers
Forbort-Desharnier
Juulsen

Isnt the main issue with a 21 man roster that you need to use waivers way more in event of injury? Given that a bunch of our depth can now get claimed it feels like we should probably go with a 23 man roster

15 minutes ago, Bobby James said:

Ethan Bear is 1 more year at 2 million. 

How do we feel about him? Could be the puck moving Dman we wanted to add. Has shown he can manage top 4 minutes okay in the past.

Hes a destressed asset right now. He checked into the program recently. I wonder if the Caps would let him go for for future considerations 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kane - Miller - Boeser

Oh No! stawns done hi-jacked @Nucker67 account! 🫣

• Haha 3

it's quite remarkable

there' still $243M in cap space available league wide, and no notable free agents left on the market.

There's still some notable RFA's to re-up but, won't even put a dent in the overall money still available.

You bet the NHLPA/Agents won't be to happy about this.

here's what stands out to me though

• Why did Buffalo buy-out Skinner? Just to have cap-space?
  • Why did Detroit dump Walman?
  • Why did Ottawa dump Joseph?
  • Chicago is hillarious, they're almost capped out and full of players being overpaid... why not maintain that cap flexibility?
  • Maybe Calgary can actually trade Huber-doodle with retention?

image.png.9fedbc944e1f785a7e89b846a99c00e9.png

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bh90 said:

it's quite remarkable

there' still $243M in cap space available league wide, and no notable free agents left on the market.

There's still some notable RFA's to re-up but, won't even put a dent in the overall money still available.

You bet the NHLPA/Agents won't be to happy about this.

here's what stands out to me though

• Why did Buffalo buy-out Skinner? Just to have cap-space?
  • Why did Detroit dump Walman?
  • Why did Ottawa dump Joseph?
  • Chicago is hillarious, they're almost capped out and full of players being overpaid... why not maintain that cap flexibility?
  • Maybe Calgary can actually trade Huber-doodle with retention?

image.png.9fedbc944e1f785a7e89b846a99c00e9.png

Wow. Brutal.

I think this outcome was kinda inevitable though, that was a MONSTER cap increase and not exactly a loaded UFA pool

In all this is going to translate to the contract values next year going up a LOT

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

53 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Canucks are at 47/50 contracts... we're gonna need to offload some soon.

I do wonder if getting Heinen opens up the possibility of moving Garland to help get a top six forward. I'm not saying I want to see him traded, but since Heinen's bigger and essentially brings exactly what Garland does I could maybe see it. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Pears said:

I do wonder if getting Heinen opens up the possibility of moving Garland to help get a top six forward. I'm not saying I want to see him traded, but since Heinen's bigger and essentially brings exactly what Garland does I could maybe see it. 

I think PA/JR sit for a bit and see what this lineup can do.  Heinen can potentially replace Garland, and TBH, Sherwood may be able to replace what Joshua brings.  Ideally we just keep everyone and Debrusk finds instant chemistry with Petey and becomes a 30 goal 70 point man lol.  Oh, and Hoglander becomes a 30 goal guy this year too!  One can dream.

• Like 2

One other that’s worth noting is how important turnover can be.  I think there’s a lot of hungry returning Canuck players, but the new faces also have a lot to prove and will up the compete level.  

I see a team that comes out hot right out of the gate 

• ThereItIs 2

15 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

Wow. Brutal.

I think this outcome was kinda inevitable though, that was a MONSTER cap increase and not exactly a loaded UFA pool

In all this is going to translate to the contract values next year going up a LOT

next year's UFA pool isn't great though either and there will be additional 128M potentially added in cap space ... plus A LOT of dead money coming off the books after this season (i.e. 24M alone in Shea Weber, Ryan Suter (MIN) and Zach Parise (MIN)

3 hours ago, fuzzy said:

Not if they trade Garland

I don’t think people give Garland enough credit. If you go back and watch Joshua’s goals and see how many were from being open in the slot because of a creative Garland pass or forecheck you’d be surprised. Garland should honestly be moved up into the top 6 and if he set up our top 6 guys all year he’d be a 60 point player.

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, flickyoursedin said:

I don’t think people give Garland enough credit. If you go back and watch Joshua’s goals and see how many were from being open in the slot because of a creative Garland pass or forecheck you’d be surprised. Garland should honestly be moved up into the top 6 and if he set up our top 6 guys all year he’d be a 60 point player.

agreed but i like Garland on line 3

i hope the Canucks try this out and works out

Hoglander - Miller - Boeser

Debrusk - Petterson - Podkolzin

Joshua - Blueger - Garland

Heinen - Suter - Sherwood

our 3rd line could combine for 50 goals and our 4th line could go for 40-50 goals too

regular season is a long trek having 4 lines coming at your constantly and have an ability to score will result in reg season success if you ask me