[PGT] Holy Cow we did Things!! - Free Agency Thread - July 1st

Who stays, who goes?  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following Canuck forwards will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

2. 2. Which of the following Canuck defencemen will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

3. 3. Which of the following Canuck goalies will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

• Thatcher Demko
    • Arturs Silovs (RFA)
    • Casey DeSmith (UFA)

34 minutes ago, bh90 said:

it's quite remarkable

there' still $243M in cap space available league wide, and no notable free agents left on the market.

There's still some notable RFA's to re-up but, won't even put a dent in the overall money still available.

You bet the NHLPA/Agents won't be to happy about this.

here's what stands out to me though

• Why did Buffalo buy-out Skinner? Just to have cap-space?
  • Why did Detroit dump Walman?
  • Why did Ottawa dump Joseph?
  • Chicago is hillarious, they're almost capped out and full of players being overpaid... why not maintain that cap flexibility?
  • Maybe Calgary can actually trade Huber-doodle with retention?

image.png.9fedbc944e1f785a7e89b846a99c00e9.png

Chicago never made sense to me. They did help us out with Dickinson and now Mikheyev but before all of that they were adding guys like Athanasiou and washed Corey Perry for 4.5 million dollars. They could have just been cleaning up in 2nd and 3rd round picks taking cap dumps instead of paying bad players big money.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, bh90 said:

agreed but i like Garland on line 3

i hope the Canucks try this out and works out

Hoglander - Miller - Boeser

Debrusk - Petterson - Podkolzin

Joshua - Blueger - Garland

Heinen - Suter - Sherwood

our 3rd line could combine for 50 goals and our 4th line could go for 40-50 goals too

regular season is a long trek having 4 lines coming at your constantly and have an ability to score will result in reg season success if you ask me

I agree spread out the talent and have players that drive lines. But trading Garland away and replacing him with Heinen I don’t know how productive that line is or how many goals Joshua gets. What I’m getting at is Garland can survive throughout the lineup. Joshua and Blueger I’m not so sure they can produce without somebody creating opportunities for them to capitalize on their hard work and for Joshua’s sake sneaky good shot.

14 minutes ago, bh90 said:

agreed but i like Garland on line 3

i hope the Canucks try this out and works out

Hoglander - Miller - Boeser

Debrusk - Petterson - Podkolzin

Joshua - Blueger - Garland

Heinen - Suter - Sherwood

our 3rd line could combine for 50 goals and our 4th line could go for 40-50 goals too

regular season is a long trek having 4 lines coming at your constantly and have an ability to score will result in reg season success if you ask me

That bottom six might be the best in the league and Podz showed chemistry with Petey a couple years ago. I'd still love one more proven top six forward but as of right now that group overall is about as good as it's gonna get.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Pears said:

That bottom six might be the best in the league and Podz showed chemistry with Petey a couple years ago. I'd still love one more proven top six forward but as of right now that group overall is about as good as it's gonna get.

yup but i'm reluctant to say it's best in the league until we see them play. potential is there though

best part about is that it comes at a cost of 15.9M cap hit and last year they scored 85 goals

let's hope for some good chemistry and health and those 6 guys could get us 100 goals for 15.9M ... that's amazing value and depth

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bh90 said:

yup but i'm reluctant to say it's best in the league until we see them play. potential is there though

best part about is that it comes at a cost of 15.9M cap hit and last year they scored 85 goals

let's hope for some good chemistry and health and those 6 guys could get us 100 goals for 15.9M ... that's amazing value and depth

to add

Louie, Beagle, Roussell, Schaller, and Sutter gave us 28 goals for ~18M 4 years ago

how time's have changed

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 hours ago, bh90 said:

next year's UFA pool isn't great though either and there will be additional 128M potentially added in cap space ... plus A LOT of dead money coming off the books after this season (i.e. 24M alone in Shea Weber, Ryan Suter (MIN) and Zach Parise (MIN)

Don't forget Ryan Suter in Dallas too, lol

15 hours ago, bh90 said:

next year's UFA pool isn't great though either and there will be additional 128M potentially added in cap space ... plus A LOT of dead money coming off the books after this season (i.e. 24M alone in Shea Weber, Ryan Suter (MIN) and Zach Parise (MIN)

Who has the 24M for Shea Weber? Surely that's spread over several years.

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

It's because they look at how Lindholm played in the playoffs.  Then they don't realize Debrusk was just as much, if not more potent in the playoffs than Lindholm was.

Debrusk led the Bruins in offence (yes, over Pastrnak) in the playoffs.  11 points in 13 playoff games.  Lindholm had 10 points in 13 playoff games.  So even there, we are ahead. 

People just wanna complain, and make it seem like the Canucks got significantly worse, while every other team in our conference got significantly better. 

Regardless of their production I like how Lindholm was a right center.

DeBrusk might turn out to be a better fit with 40.

Could flip flop there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I don’t know why people say we lost Lindholm like he had any impact in the regular season. We only had him for like a quarter of the season.

If you wanna compare them compare Debrusk to Kuzmenko. He was on pace for 40 points here but played a much softer game.

Even if you combine Kuzmenko’s and Lindholms contributions here you only get 33 points. So I would say our offense actually got a bigger boost than that.

More points AND more snarl. We, speaking for all of us(because everyone else does😉) have always enjoyed having a tough team in the past. Our infatuation with Z goes to further that fact. This years team looks like it will be a lot more fun to watch scoring those goals, and causing some general mayhem. I think this will go a long way to helping Petey find his game (that and 7-10lbs).

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, chris12345 said:

Could flip flop there.

Lindholm gave us 3 serious lines. DeBrusk bolsters our top-6, but now our 3rd line isn't an instant win on the ice (it's still good, but we don't have a RH center who can win 60% of draws, PK/PP, and still drive some offense).

I know Lindholm was a luxury, but he really did contribute to what made us a threat in the playoffs. 

Now Petey has to not just be good, but great in the playoffs, as our 3rd line won't be carrying the load like it did in last year's playoffs.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Rumors Glass might be traded after all the new additions. Good size, right handed center. Could be an interesting reclamation project for Toc?

I was talking about trying to get Sissons from Nashville in another thread.  I'd be cool with Glass too.  Nashville is over the cap so they probably want to move someone.  I'd take a run at Sissons first and also look at Glass.  Glass would definitely have more potential though to be that right hand scoring centre we are missing...

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, c00kies said:

Lindholm gave us 3 serious lines. DeBrusk bolsters our top-6, but now our 3rd line isn't an instant win on the ice (it's still good, but we don't have a RH center who can win 60% of draws, PK/PP, and still drive some offense).

I know Lindholm was a luxury, but he really did contribute to what made us a threat in the playoffs. 

Now Petey has to not just be good, but great in the playoffs, as our 3rd line won't be carrying the load like it did in last year's playoffs.

We were a top team in the NHL without Lindholm.  We brought back pretty much everyone and upgraded with Heinen over Mikheyev and Sherwood over Lafferty.  We replaced Kuzmenko with Debrusk as well.  Podkolzin is a guy that needs to take the next step.  Maybe Lekkerimaki comes in as well.  I do agree we need a right shot centre though.  Doesn't have to be a high end guy like Lindholm.  Sissons or Glass from Nashville might work.  They are over the cap and looking to make a trade...

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, c00kies said:

I thought garland drove that 3rd line in the playoffs, matter of fact I thought Lindholm was the 3rd best player on his line, blueger is obviously a down grade but I think DJ and garly will pack any respectable centre into the fight 

14 minutes ago, DSVII said:

I'm happy with this roster on opening night.

We get to accrue cap space without using LTIR in poolman. And the roster pre-zadarov/lindholm that got the division lead last year is intact and improved by Mikheyev's departure.

Would you trade Poolman + 2nd (or 3rd) to CHI (or other team), so the accrued cap space will be bigger by TDL?

45 minutes ago, chris12345 said:

Could flip flop there.

It would be great to have both. But Free Agency is getting insane.

I'm glad management saw JG was going to cost to much and looked at a cheaper, and good option that will thrive with Tocc as a coach.