[PGT] Holy Cow we did Things!! - Free Agency Thread - July 1st

Who stays, who goes?  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following Canuck forwards will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

2. 2. Which of the following Canuck defencemen will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

3. 3. Which of the following Canuck goalies will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

• Thatcher Demko
    • Arturs Silovs (RFA)
    • Casey DeSmith (UFA)

Just now, wai_lai416 said:

So basically you are saying what if this guy works what if that guy works what if every guy works. All it takes is 1 guy to not work and have a cascading effect up and down the lineup. Great debrusk magically turns into hyman scoring 50 goals and 70-80 points guy while the defence isn’t working out. Or great ur defence is amazing but debrusk isn’t working out and we can’t score. When was the last time we had a ufa in Vancouver exceed expectation? How often do we have ufa in Vancouver not meet expectation?

But then we assume that if they all stayed with Vancouver, Lindholm, Zadorov, Cole, Lafferty, and Mikheyev would all carry on exactly as they were, and none of them would regress at all?  That's not a fair approach either right?

Apples to apples... if Lindholm, Zadorov, Cole, Lafferty, and Mikheyev all stayed, would they be better than Debrusk, Heinen, Sherwood, Desharnais, and Forbort?  Inconclusive because we don't know.  You're assuming they would carry on as a constant, which is unlikely too.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

But then we assume that if they all stayed with Vancouver, Lindholm, Zadorov, Cole, Lafferty, and Mikheyev would all carry on exactly as they were, and none of them would regress at all?  That's not a fair approach either right?

Apples to apples... if Lindholm, Zadorov, Cole, Lafferty, and Mikheyev all stayed, would they be better than Debrusk, Heinen, Sherwood, Desharnais, and Forbort?  Inconclusive because we don't know.  You're assuming they would carry on as a constant, which is unlikely too.

Would they be better? Can’t say would they be worse? Prolly not. Right now all the moves we have made doesn’t make as any better than last season even if they all work out. I’m still expecting ep to struggle next season. Every time hes out there playing without a guy capable of playmaking 5v5 he has struggled in his career. There’s no exception in the 6 years. I’ve been saying they need a playmaker forever as a winger for ep. As it will give him a guy that can set him up for his shot and also free him to setup hoglander. Right now it’s back to shutdown the setup guy and no one else can setup. 

15 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

So basically you are saying what if this guy works what if that guy works what if every guy works. All it takes is 1 guy to not work and have a cascading effect up and down the lineup. Great debrusk magically turns into hyman scoring 50 goals and 70-80 points guy while the defence isn’t working out. Or great ur defence is amazing but debrusk isn’t working out and we can’t score. When was the last time we had a ufa in Vancouver exceed expectation? How often do we have ufa in Vancouver not meet expectation?

Relax and go touch grass outside, this can be discussed to exhaustion for the next 3 months. Enjoy your summer.

17 minutes ago, HKSR said:

this post is spot on. very well said

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

Is today's roster good enough to make the playoffs? For sure. That's all that matters at this point. If the Canucks have another great season, I expect them to make a couple of moves like they did this year to bolster the roster going in to the playoffs. In that event, all the worrying about the team today possibly not being as strong as the team that ended last season is unnecessary. And depending on how well the new guys fit the system and find chemistry, we could indeed already have a better team than at any point last season. I'm kinda optimistic about that, because it's that time of the year where we can dream a little before reality sets in!

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Would they be better? Can’t say would they be worse? Prolly not. Right now all the moves we have made doesn’t make as any better than last season even if they all work out. I’m still expecting ep to struggle next season. Every time hes out there playing without a guy capable of playmaking 5v5 he has struggled in his career. There’s no exception in the 6 years. I’ve been saying they need a playmaker forever as a winger for ep. As it will give him a guy that can set him up for his shot and also free him to setup hoglander. Right now it’s back to shutdown the setup guy and no one else can setup. 

I don't know if it's been mentioned but we passed on 21.85 million for our 5 guys and brought in 13.45.  Plus the only really long term deal went to a 27 year old 25 goal scorer at 7 years.  He'll be 34. Same age as Tanev when he starts his new 6 year deal.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, DixonWard said:

I don't know if it's been mentioned but we passed on 21.85 million for our 5 guys and brought in 13.45.  Plus the only really long term deal went to a 27 year old 25 goal scorer at 7 years.  He'll be 34. Same age as Tanev when he starts his new 6 year deal.

Some smart moves, can't wait to see what kind of impact DeBrusk and Sherwood have.

I still think the Canucks need one more top 6 winger and a LD.  Not a lot of quality UFAs left to choose from. Maybe Allvin will make a couple of trades.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Nucker67 said:

Some smart moves, can't wait to see what kind of impact DeBrusk and Sherwood have.

I still think the Canucks need one more top 6 winger and a LD.  Not a lot of quality UFAs left to choose from. Maybe Allvin will make a couple of trades.

IMO the moves we made were mostly short term commitments at reasonable money. They provide good value while us getting through a portion of 

the OEL buyout and not blocking out any of our prospects if & when they make the jump to the next level. If one or more of these guys doesn't work out or doesn't fit our system/style they're all on tradable contracts.   

Fortbort      - 1 year at $1.5

Desharnais -  2 years at $2

Sherwood  - 2 years at $1.5

Heinen   -    2 years at $2.25

I think we raised the team floor and became faster and harder to play against up front. While we got bigger on the back end, I think our D-core

lost a little overall speed and experience. I think Tocchet and Foote's system is gonna have to rely more on the forwards getting back and 

playing even more of a 200 foot game to be successful. Looking at the forwards we just signed that seems to be a hallmark of their game.

If I'm being honest with my myself I would give us a C+ grade this offseason. Lots to like but still a few question marks.  If Foote & Gonchar can 

mold Desharnais & Forbort's game the way they did Myers last season I'd give us a B.   

Edited by Blitz-Pix

3 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

IMO the moves we made were mostly short term commitments at reasonable money. They provide good value while us getting through a portion of 

the OEL buyout and not blocking out any of our prospects if & when they make the jump to the next level. If one or more of these guys doesn't work out or 

fit with our system/style they're all on tradable contracts.   

Fortbort      - 1 year at $1.5

Desharnais -  2 years at $2

Sherwood  - 2 years at $1.5

Heinen   -    2 years at $2.25

I think we raised the team floor and became faster and harder to play against up front. While we got bigger on the back end, I think our D-core

lost a little overall speed and experience. I think Tocchet and Foote's system is gonna have to rely more on the forwards getting back and 

playing even more of a 200 foot game to be successful. Looking at the forwards we just signed that seems to be a hallmark of their game.

If I'm being honest with my myself I would give us a C+ grade this offseason. Lots to like but still a few question marks.  If Foote and Gonchar can 

mold Desharnais & Forbort's game the way they did Myers last season I'd give us a B.   

I think C+ is low. I'd give them at least a B and creeping to B+, as Allvin has been able to keep us as good as last year while having to give Hronek, Petey, and Joshua 10+million in raises, while still giving us cap flexibility. Plus, our lineup is balanced up front and on D (no more two lefties). And we're younger. And we're more internally competitive. And no more bad contracts. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I think C+ is low. I'd give them at least a B and creeping to B+, as Allvin has been able to keep us as good as last year while having to give Hronek, Petey, and Joshua 10+million in raises, while still giving us cap flexibility. Plus, our lineup is balanced up front and on D (no more two lefties). And we're younger. And we're more internally competitive. And no more bad contracts. 

I agree. I’m thinking at least B+ if not A

Everything I read talks about how good the DeBrusk signing was. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Pianoman said:

I agree. I’m thinking at least B+ if not A

Everything I read talks about how good the DeBrusk signing was. 

I'm with ya on JD. People who don't like the signing are thinking about his struggles under Cassidy. But he's progressed very well and will be so much better than those people think. Amazing analytics and will be the next JT Miller Lite for us. 

3 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I'm with ya on JD. People who don't like the signing are thinking about his struggles under Cassidy. But he's progressed very well and will be so much better than those people think. Amazing analytics and will be the next JT Miller Lite for us. 

Tocchet will be his third coach since entering the league.

All 3 of his coaches are Jack Adams winners.

He has been very well coached. Not worried about his ability to fit in nicely.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1