[PGT] Holy Cow we did Things!! - Free Agency Thread - July 1st

Who stays, who goes?  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following Canuck forwards will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

2. 2. Which of the following Canuck defencemen will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

3. 3. Which of the following Canuck goalies will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

• Thatcher Demko
    • Arturs Silovs (RFA)
    • Casey DeSmith (UFA)

18 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I think C+ is low. I'd give them at least a B and creeping to B+, as Allvin has been able to keep us as good as last year while having to give Hronek, Petey, and Joshua 10+million in raises, while still giving us cap flexibility. Plus, our lineup is balanced up front and on D (no more two lefties). And we're younger. And we're more internally competitive. And no more bad contracts. 

My C+ assessment has more to do with me being unsure about our defense core.

As I said, if our coaches can Reshape or Mold their Game they way they did with Myers then I think we'd get a B

I'd give them a B with our forward group...maybe even a B+ if DeBrusk becomes a good fit with Petey.

I suppose I'm just being cautiously optimistic.     

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Blue said:

Why are we prioritizing big stay at home d men when there's better puck moving d men available ? Like Tyson Barrie

Probably cuz he made $4.5M last contract.  And he wants maybe at least $3M x 3-4yrs.  That would take him to 35-36yrs old.

13 hours ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Rumors Glass might be traded after all the new additions. Good size, right handed center. Could be an interesting reclamation project for Toc?

Yes ! He was just rounding into form when he got hurt. Nashville is just in the mood for making a mistake like this

15 minutes ago, Blue said:

Why are we prioritizing big stay at home d men when there's better puck moving d men available ? Like Tyson Barrie

Heffy answered this on another thread. Makes sense I guess

These guys can play defence.  None of the "puck moving" guys available have shown any sign they're capable of playing like NHLers in their own zone.  Hopefully we're learned from Hunt/Weber/Larsen/Pouliot/Del Zotto and we won't be getting any more defensive liabilities on the blueline.

• Cheers 1

The moves we made were specific to needs. We lost but we also gained in key areas. Especially in the forward group. That's what we needed. We also retained size on the blueline. I think these moves elevated us and made us harder to play against.

Next season people will be looking at us like ...

f0b3adef08e3443778993d4ba2606290.gif

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, German Canuck said:

Yes but not over 5.5M and any term he wants

Some people aren’t getting that.

Now he has to be compared to the likes of guys like Pesce and Tanev. He’s not as good as those guys. 

Great size, toughness, and character with flashes of puck moving but you can’t overpay for that. That’s how you end up with a Trouba contract.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

Probably because Foote knows how to coach these behemoths.  He himself wasn't exactly a slick skater.  He was effective defensively because of his positioning and his stick work.  These big and tall defencemen being brought in fit perfectly for that kinda defensive style.

I trust Foote like I trust Ian Clark, to be honest. I'm glad they're making moves for their coaches and giving the coaches a say in who is brought in.

If Foote thinks he can work Desharnais and Forbort into the system, by all means; bring them in. Especially Desharnais, who still has some effective years left.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

I think PA and JR have done a very good job thus far. I'd give them a solid B. The Forward depth and players is better than it was at any point last year including playoffs. Sure EL was good for us in the P/O but at his price tag he didn't make sense for where this team is and going. DeBrusk had another level in his game, which imo is underrated, overall defensively between him and EL there isn't much drop-off. 

The D is OK that's why I gave them a B so far, but there is still plenty of time to add the one D that could make all the difference. 

I like Hoglander and I think he will have a great breakout year, but he is a good chip to use to get that young RD that this team needs. 

57 minutes ago, VanOriginal said:

I think PA and JR have done a very good job thus far. I'd give them a solid B. The Forward depth and players is better than it was at any point last year including playoffs. Sure EL was good for us in the P/O but at his price tag he didn't make sense for where this team is and going. DeBrusk had another level in his game, which imo is underrated, overall defensively between him and EL there isn't much drop-off. 

The D is OK that's why I gave them a B so far, but there is still plenty of time to add the one D that could make all the difference. 

I like Hoglander and I think he will have a great breakout year, but he is a good chip to use to get that young RD that this team needs. 

I think a B is too high especially if the goal is to go all in with this core. 

A lot of the optimism seems to be that the team can hit lightning in a bottle again. The team got really good value from their depth players last season having either their career year or near career years. It's hard to imagine something like last season can happen again, based on probability. 

I will say the "C" is about right. Average score, the team floor has risen but the ceiling might be compromised slightly with the loss of Zadorov. 

And there's the question if Brock can repeat his performance from last season or would there be a drop off. It's hard to tell with Brock because he hasn't really put a consistent sent of seasons. He can be awesome one season and ok the next few and awseome again. 

Of course Petey performing better than last season could negate most of this. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VanOriginal said:

I would give them a solid B as well. They raised the floor of this team by adding speed, size, and pk/ defensive ability to supplement the core. Plus they accomplished this without handicapping the future with huge caphits and term. Leaving space for younger players to push their way onto the team from below. Nice work so far in my opinion.

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, iinatcc said:

I think a B is too high especially if the goal is to go all in with this core. 

A lot of the optimism seems to be that the team can hit lightning in a bottle again. The team got really good value from their depth players last season having either their career year or near career years. It's hard to imagine something like last season can happen again, based on probability. 

I will say the "C" is about right. Average score, the team floor has risen but the ceiling might be compromised slightly with the loss of Zadorov. 

And there's the question if Brock can repeat his performance from last season or would there be a drop off. It's hard to tell with Brock because he hasn't really put a consistent sent of seasons. He can be awesome one season and ok the next few and awseome again. 

Of course Petey performing better than last season could negate most of this. 

For the Brock issues you have:

In 2018 and 2021 he was our top scorer. His dad then died and he wasn’t able to focus on hockey. He managed to keep near his career pace. He seems to have finally gotten past it and now he’s a 40 goal scorer.

Your assessment of his game and consistency is very harsh. He’s probably one of the most consistent Canucks we’ve had in the last 10 years, when his dad isn’t on his deathbed.

The only year he wasn’t top 5 in scoring on the Canucks in his 8 years with us (pretty remarkable) was when he was going through one of the hardest things any of us could ever imagine going through. I don’t blame him, and I refuse to think that his career production is inconsistent because of it. 

Edited by HorvatToBaertschi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • ThereItIs 1

8 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Some people aren’t getting that.

Now he has to be compared to the likes of guys like Pesce and Tanev. He’s not as good as those guys. 

Great size, toughness, and character with flashes of puck moving but you can’t overpay for that. That’s how you end up with a Trouba contract.

It hurt losing Zad but his Bruins contract is a gamble on their part. By not going the distance with Zad the Canucks gained some forward depth and have retained some CAP space. It leaves Allvin with more options going forward. He can look at the team coming out of pre-season and maybe make a deal. His overload on 5, 6, 7, 8 d-man leaves options for player movement. I think Canucks are in a strong position.

If fans expect the same start as last year they might be disappointed. Let's hope not but that was a very strong run into January. Other teams have improved. What I see out of the Canucks is a more balanced offense, a stronger offense through the entire season. The d-core has questions but I can see another upgrade there. The size and toughness is still there. If Soucy and Meyers are the 2nd pairing it means they have another year under the Foote coaching. Meyers can dominate at times and Soucy is still a bit of a unknown to me. He also can play some great games but I worry about health. The difference with the group now is better d-side depth. 

WE haven't even talked goalies. Hopefully Demko reasserts his game and Silovs gets 30 games in and establishes his NHL cred in regular season games. If Silovs can establish himself it creates a succession plan in net. Demko will want a career contract 2 years out and PA might have to look at moving him after next season. But that is future talk and this coming season Demmer takes the club to the Finals!

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

Deharnais and Forbert will be our bottom pairing at a total AAV of 3.5.

Zasnorov is 5AAV. He was a bottom pairing guy his whole career and would have been with us. We dodged a bullet. 

I think as a Canuck fan I will have to put aside flashes of brilliance and toughness that Z will bring ....the comment that team toughness has been improved cannot be overstated ..toughness  by commitee spread over a number of plays is not a bad thing...Z was not a bad thing either..if Z could have stayed with new current lineup...preferred but did not happen...such is life

Zadorov wanted a longer contract or term! This he was always telling us. But Allvin don’t want to give him that term. I don’t know why. I would give him 7 or even 8 years for 4,25 million. Because he will be aging well and we know already what we have in him. But now the ship sailed away and we have to live with that decision. For me, all other deals are very smart and makes the team stronger and more balanced. And don’t forget that with Willander a great Top pairing Defender will be part of the team before the playoffs.

Hughes Hronek

Zadorov Willander

Soucy Myers

…this was my dream Defence for next years Playoffs and behind.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1