[PGT] Holy Cow we did Things!! - Free Agency Thread - July 1st

Who stays, who goes?  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following Canuck forwards will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

2. 2. Which of the following Canuck defencemen will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

3. 3. Which of the following Canuck goalies will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

• Thatcher Demko
    • Arturs Silovs (RFA)
    • Casey DeSmith (UFA)

8 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

For the Brock issues you have:

In 2018 and 2021 he was our top scorer. His dad then died and he wasn’t able to focus on hockey. He managed to keep near his career pace. He seems to have finally gotten past it and now he’s a 40 goal scorer.

Your assessment of his game and consistency is very harsh. He’s probably one of the most consistent Canucks we’ve had in the last 10 years, when his dad isn’t on his deathbed.

The only year he wasn’t top 5 in scoring on the Canucks in his 8 years with us (pretty remarkable) was when he was going through one of the hardest things any of us could ever imagine going through. I don’t blame him, and I refuse to think that his career production is inconsistent because of it. 

I understand the passing of his father could affected his game and, we are human after all.  But let's not pretend the fanbase (including some here) were sending him praises one season and wanted to trade him just to free up the cap. 

Circumstances will always occur that could affect someone's game, and some of these circumstances are understandable, still I would want to see Brock having a string elite seasons before I can be confident that he's an elite NHL player. 

30 minutes ago, spook007 said:

This is the reality... like it or not...

This management group has/had to find additional $4M of savings for the next two years coming up, all while finding money to improve the contracts of the players here... something has has to give... so far Myers extension paid for Hronek pay rise, and Zad (and Cole) leaving instead of being extended has paid for the $4M + Desharnais and Fobort.... 

And it gave them a bit of change left to (what on paper looks like) up grade the team... 

They likely got Petey 1 if not 2 new line mates... they keep the best 3rd line in the league intact... and they added 'meat and potato' sandpaper players to the team... 

They even got rid of Mikheyev for a second, while getting back a 4th (and another cap penalty of $0.75M)....

So yes, while I am going to miss big Zad on this team (because we've played so small for so long), we should probably be happy, that management vote with their brains and less with their hearts, than we do....

There is a reason, we have one of the largest front offices in the NHL, and why the head of the organisation has 3 rings, while this organisation has none...

Yes, exactemundo my friend. Good point on the reality side. As you say something has to give. We have Hughes the phenom on the left side and they correctly identified last year this team was dead in the water without a better RD, so they went and got Hronek. Now we are riding a dangerous cap battle and we just can't afford to overspend unless absolutely necessary. If we didn't already have Hughes then it becomes an incredibly important position that needs to be filled. As is, we should be able to navigate without a big signing there. Forbort should able to perform a very similar role, with better PK results, for a fraction of the cost, and no long term commitment. 

The other factor as you allude to is that it helps to keep flexible as we navigate the OEL and Mik cap penalties. Locking Zads in for 6 years really limits that if he doesn't pay immediate dividends, and even if he does. Having Forbort for 1 year gives us options for how we handle the bigger OEL hits the next two years.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, VanOriginal said:

I disagree with the C, that is extremely low, especially if it's being based on not re-signing Zadorov. I like Zadorov, I liked his game in the playoffs but can he replicate that for a whole regular season? 'cause he wasn't that playoff player during the regular season. 

As you mentioned will the depth players hit lightening in bottle, I can ask the same about Z? Will he hit that bottle with the lightening that he found in the Playsoffs? Probability says no, as he had a career playoff year and would be difficult to replicate that performance in playoffs let alone for half of a regular season. 

The forwards brought in are all just as good if not better defensively than the the Forward group the team had last year. Big part of team defence also falls on the forwards and their willingness and ability to do their fair share. And the toughness lost from Z again will be covered by the forwards brought in as these forwards are more aggressive and assertive than the ones form last year. The big difference on D this year is the loss of speed and the first pass, but I think that can be addressed either by trade or team system.

I don't think that all of our players will have a similar year like last. Will Boes hit 40 again? Probably no but 30 sure. Will DJ produce the se of amour of goals/points? Again probably not but another one of the played brought in could as they have all produced consistently over the course of their careers. I can see Petey having more of an impact this year compared to last, especially if what he said was true that he was playing with a bum knee for the second half of the season. And I think a lot of people are sleeping on DeBrusk, I think he will have a career a year playing on this te just as JTM did once he came over from Tampa. 

So 2 points.

A "C" to me is like an ok offseason but nothing to really get excited about. It's a fine score and I bet if someone is to tier all the teams offseason moves canucks at best would be a low "B". But grades are relative, the actual on ice product matters more than the offseason. If the Canucks win the cup, it won't change my mind on how I felt about the offseason but I would give the Canucks an "S" tier for the actual season. lol.

As for Zadorov, you aren't wrong, but he's no longer part of the team so the hope are the current and new players in they can repeat the success they had the previous season.  My problem isn't losing Zadorv it's more like are the other guys going to make up losing him (or at least what he contributed last season)?

4 hours ago, EdgarM said:

This is my main issue. Myers is inconsistent, to say the least, and his numbers throughout his career prove that. Yes he had a good year last year but he had a fairly good one the year before last as well and then flopped the next. Has Soucy ever played a full season? 

I think size in the back is great, but relying on Soucy and Myers to carry most of the load behind Hronek/Hughes is going to prove to be a tall task if we want them for a full 82 games and then a long run in the playoffs.

With Z wanting to stay for less, and him taking 5, meant that he would have stayed for LESS THEN 5, and since we have cap room left over, meant we could have bettered our top 4 by more then just giving Myers anothers 3 yrs at 3m per year IMHO.

I love the bottom pairing we picked up but I sure hope Myers and Soucy show us something different then what we have come to expect from them. Fingers crossed.

Opportunity knocks to start integrating Abby dmen into games this season to start the transition process for them.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

So 2 points.

A "C" to me is like an ok offseason but nothing to really get excited about. It's a fine score and I bet if someone is to tier all the teams offseason moves canucks at best would be a low "B". But grades are relative, the actual on ice product matters more than the offseason. If the Canucks win the cup, it won't change my mind on how I felt about the offseason but I would give the Canucks an "S" tier for the actual season. lol.

As for Zadorov, you aren't wrong, but he's no longer part of the team so the hope are the current and new players in they can repeat the success they had the previous season.  My problem isn't losing Zadorv it's more like are the other guys going to make up losing him (or at least what he contributed last season)?

You don't give a guy big money long term because of a half season sample size, those were the mistakes the last regime made that crippled us for years and prevented us from making any progress. I loved the guy and it really sucked seeing him leave, but you also gotta see the bigger picture here and that we're better signing multiple guys than just one. 

31 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

The other factor as you allude to is that it helps to keep flexible as we navigate the OEL and Mik cap penalties. Locking Zads in for 6 years really limits that if he doesn't pay immediate dividends, and even if he does. Having Forbort for 1 year gives us options for how we handle the bigger OEL hits the next two years.

This is a great point to bring up. Is it next year or the following year that OELs  big cap buy out applies?

These short term contracts will keep us out of hot water till those heavy but out years pass on.

Bottom 6 D are fairly easy to find and affordable to sign. 

I trust this management to navigate thru this while still being competitive. 

Boeser I think will get a slight raise and Demko will take a bigger bite but with the cap hopefully going up we are able to keep our core intact for at least 5 years. Plus afford to resign our up and coming talent as well.

The rest of the cast is filler and that’s relatively easy to accomplish. 

The pieces fit very nicely. Great cap/contract work by Allvin and Co.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

57 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

This is a great point to bring up. Is it next year or the following year that OELs  big cap buy out applies?

These short term contracts will keep us out of hot water till those heavy but out years pass on.

Bottom 6 D are fairly easy to find and affordable to sign. 

I trust this management to navigate thru this while still being competitive. 

Boeser I think will get a slight raise and Demko will take a bigger bite but with the cap hopefully going up we are able to keep our core intact for at least 5 years. Plus afford to resign our up and coming talent as well.

The rest of the cast is filler and that’s relatively easy to accomplish. 

The pieces fit very nicely. Great cap/contract work by Allvin and Co.

@Attila Umbrus

This year it's 2.347 mil and the following two years are $4.767 mil, then $2.127 mil for 4 more years 🥴. Myers is signed through the high dollar years, and Soucy for this and next year. They could sign a couple of Forbort like deals, or maybe make a trade for a cost controlled player. That would really help the situation. Also have hopes that Willander and D-Petey might add elc cap hits, which would be huge in our position. Flexibility is the key.

Yeah, gotta love the cap understanding of this management group. 

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Thanks 1
  • ThereItIs 1

We are basically stronger in all categories than we were at the start of last season. And we have another strong intangible in arguably the best coaching staff in the league. What they do this season with our new aquisitions as well as our returning players, has me very excited about 24-25.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, iinatcc said:

I understand the passing of his father could affected his game and, we are human after all.  But let's not pretend the fanbase (including some here) were sending him praises one season and wanted to trade him just to free up the cap. 

Circumstances will always occur that could affect someone's game, and some of these circumstances are understandable, still I would want to see Brock having a string elite seasons before I can be confident that he's an elite NHL player. 

Hope his blood clot is not going to be an issue:( 

4 hours ago, HarbularyBattery said:

in that event i still think its better to wait and have cap space ready

who we need depends on who's injured, if anyone

if petey is injured for example, we need to go get a 30 goal scorer

if hughes is injured, we need a top pair puck mover

if soucy is injured, stay at home d-man

we can always make the move earlier but we'll know in the first 15 games or so if this group is good enough, and i imagine it will be

yeah we took a step down with zadorov/cole gone, but we've also taken a massive step up in our PK. that alone will help us win games

Biggest question mark for me is Demko. He’s been a glass cannon the last couple of years and we only go as far as he carries the team.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, swimmer said:

We are basically stronger in all categories than we were at the start of last season. And we have another strong intangible in arguably the best coaching staff in the league. What they do this season with our new aquisitions as well as our returning players, has me very excited about 24-25.

There was a bit of lightning in a bottle going on last season, so I’m not necessarily expecting more points/a higher finish. But team needs were identified, and the young core gained some much-needed experience.

We are a top 8 team in the league once again imo. Excited to see the new pieces in action, and what the roster looks like by Spring 2025.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Salacious Crumb said:

Biggest question mark for me is Demko. He’s been a glass cannon the last couple of years and we only go as far as he carries the team.

Word is Demko is heathy a ready to go. 

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Word is Demko is heathy a ready to go. 

I sure hope we actually rest Demko more this year. Totally saw the injury coming. Demo needs to really focus on his training and maintenance. Maybe some forced rest days this year.

@PeteyBoeser

Boeser is supposed to be 100% over his blood clot issue Allvin says.

22 minutes ago, Salacious Crumb said:

yeah big question mark. all the more reason to have cap space in case the unthinkable happens and we need a tier 1 goalie, we wont be able to do it with dollar in dollar out demko on ltir, hes way undervalued at 5m. 

6 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I sure hope we actually rest Demko more this year. Totally saw the injury coming. Demo needs to really focus on his training and maintenance. Maybe some forced rest days this year.

@PeteyBoeser

Boeser is supposed to be 100% over his blood clot issue Allvin says.

Yeah demko needs to play a max of 2 games a week and no more than 2 over any 5 day stretches to keep him healthy imo, I think 47-50 games is the sweet spot 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Captain insano said:

Yeah demko needs to play a max of 2 games a week and no more than 2 over any 5 day stretches to keep him healthy imo, I think 47-50 games is the sweet spot 

+ we have to win a playoff series or 2 in 5 games so he can rest in the playoffs too

7 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

+ we have to win a playoff series or 2 in 5 games so he can rest in the playoffs too

Good plan. We'll just go 16-0 purely for the rest factor. 😆

• ThereItIs 1

33 minutes ago, Salacious Crumb said:

Demko is great, but we were only one goal short of making the conference final without him. An absent Petey was a bigger problem but hopefully the new additions sort that out.

• Like 1

I  think the Canucks will sign Adam Boqvist, cheap. Maybe we see his potential with better coaching and on a good team. He is a mobile D, and it would be nice to have another option other than Hughes.  Maybe Adam learns something from Quinn.

Hughes - Hronek

Soucy - Myers

Forbort - Boqvist

Brisebois - Desharnais

Juulsen

I still think they might also trade Garland, Suter or Podkolzin to upgrade the 2nd line winger position.

5 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I don’t see anyone dooming over it just pointing that it needs upgrading.

Whether that’s before the season or at the deadline remains to be seen.

I would be surprised if they don’t make a trade before the start of the season though.

From 1 to 10, how "in need"  is the D of upgrading ? I'd say 4 or 5. We are far from the pre Hronek and Soucy days

19 minutes ago, Blue said:

From 1 to 10, how "in need"  is the D of upgrading ? I'd say 4 or 5. We are far from the pre Hronek and Soucy days

Enough so that we don’t get pinned in our zone and have to have Demko bail us out constantly.

That falls on the forwards too and I think we have a lot of good two way guys. But good teams can expose D men who aren’t the fleetest of foot like Forbort and Desharnais.

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Enough so that we don’t get pinned in our zone and have to have Demko bail us out constantly.

That falls on the forwards too and I think we have a lot of good two way guys. But good teams can expose D men who aren’t the fleetest of foot like Forbort and Desharnais.

Yup, as nice as the Myers "story" is, I'd still rather we'd have put that cap towards a Pesce/Tanev/Roy/Carrier etc.

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yup, as nice as the Myers "story" is, I'd still rather we'd have put that cap towards a Pesce/Tanev/Roy/Carrier etc.

But who’s gunna bust up crysaitl if we don’t have Myers or zadorov