[Article] Canucks: Yes, Brock Boeser would love Jake Guentzel as a teammate

On 6/15/2024 at 1:03 AM, Hammertime said:

That's the conundrum!

Is. 

Dak Pete Guentzel in the budget? is Dakota the guy on the wall and net front? 

Brock surely goes on the block draft/next year in this scenario both Brock/Guentzel don't fit. Long term I see us top heavy. If you get Guentzel and sell high on Brock it could work out. I don't see a world where they both fit. 

We can keep Brock.   Even if he repeats last years career season,  feel he will sign something that is reasonable to keep the band together.     No way are we trading Brock if we are in the playoffs.    We might lose him if he's priced his way out.    Have a feeling he'd do the JT Miller special, and stick around and retire as a Canuck.   Likely a 7 year deal.  And a team friendly signing at the time.   He knows he didn't live up to his bridge.    Making up for it now.    See him as a 8 x 7 signing.    Palatable.     

Edited by IBatch

59 minutes ago, IBatch said:

We can keep Brock.   Even if he repeats last years career season,  feel he will sign something that is reasonable to keep the band together.     No way are we trading Brock if we are in the playoffs.    We might lose him if he's priced his way out.    Have a feeling he'd do the JT Miller special, and stick around and retire as a Canuck.   Likely a 7 year deal.  And a team friendly signing at the time.   He knows he didn't live up to his bridge.    Making up for it now.    See him as a 8 x 7 signing.    Palatable.     

8 years? Like I love Brock the person. And I'm so fucking elaited to see him have some success again. The reality is though he can't play bottom 6 and only really has success with Miller who isn't getting any faster. Brock couldn't win a foot race with Milan Looch.

image.thumb.png.956fc762b5bd28454006da07140be724.png

Re signing Brock unless it's a hell of a sweet heart deal makes terrible sense. We need to get faster. It's probably for the best to part ways on a high note. 

34 minutes ago, kettlevalley said:

Don't know what you have against the guy who is our competitive advantage Alf.  

Really though. Garland is heart n soul. The guy works like no other never takes a game off. Scored game 7 he's a winner. 

1 hour ago, kettlevalley said:

Don't know what you have against the guy who is our competitive advantage Alf.  

Garland is five mil we can get off the cap and his minutes can be played by Hogs. Garlsnd doesn’t play PK or PP and is a bottom six guy. Hopefully there’s a team out there (likely a bottom feeder with little talent) who sees Garland as a top six guy so we can move him. 

8 hours ago, Hammertime said:

8 years? Like I love Brock the person. And I'm so fucking elaited to see him have some success again. The reality is though he can't play bottom 6 and only really has success with Miller who isn't getting any faster. Brock couldn't win a foot race with Milan Looch.

Re signing Brock unless it's a hell of a sweet heart deal makes terrible sense. We need to get faster. It's probably for the best to part ways on a high note. 

Luke Robataille and Bret Hull weren't winning any foot races either.    It's not like  Miller is that fast either.   Gelinas and Hedican were fast.   So was Hagelin.   Toffoli isn't fast.   Espo had concrete shoes yet before there was Gretzky, he was who everyone wanted to pretend they were playing street hockey.     You could be right.   Brock had a great season last year and maybe that's his peak.    Comparing him to Lucic is kind of a bit over the top though.   For both guys.   Also you got the term wrong.   8 million x 7.   The skinner special. 

If he scores 35-40 next season, he's getting at least 8 x 7 somewhere.   JT Miller without Brock doing what he did last season, wasn't scoring 100 points.    He's not a "soft" player either.    Was EP a better player last season?   Nope. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Garland is five mil we can get off the cap and his minutes can be played by Hogs. Garlsnd doesn’t play PK or PP and is a bottom six guy. Hopefully there’s a team out there (likely a bottom feeder with little talent) who sees Garland as a top six guy so we can move him. 

Hogs hasn't done much compared to Garland yet.    Doubt he's going to carry a third line on his own.   Also doesn't PK or PP, although you're wrong, Garland does do some second unit stuff.   His cap hit.  Well he's an asset we can actually trade now. 

Edited by IBatch
  • ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Luke Robataille and Bret Hull weren't winning any foot races either.    It's not like  Miller is that fast either.   Gelinas and Hedican were fast.   So was Hagelin.   Toffoli isn't fast.   Espo had concrete shoes yet before there was Gretzky, he was who everyone wanted to pretend they were playing street hockey.     You could be right.   Brock had a great season last year and maybe that's his peak.    Comparing him to Lucic is kind of a bit over the top though.   For both guys.   Also you got the term wrong.   8 million x 7.   The skinner special. 

If he scores 35-40 next season, he's getting at least 8 x 7 somewhere.   JT Miller without Brock doing what he did last season, wasn't scoring 100 points.    He's not a "soft" player either.    Was EP a better player last season?   Nope. 

I'd love to be wrong especially if you're right. Brock's a great guy and I'd love nothing better than this to be the beginning of his breakout. I just can't get away from that fact that he's probably top 10 slowest players in the league. When he isn't scoring he isn't effective at much. Contrary to your soft statement he doesn't hit or go onto corners with any regularity. 

I do agree there were some great slow players the Sedins were never fast in their primes either. Maybe Brock's our Jeff Carter. I dunno? 7 years is a long time I'd go 4 x 8 anything longer and the number drops signifiantly for me. As a fan I would love Brock to stay a Canuck. From a MGMT perspective I'm maybe gripping the stick on term.  

Edited by Hammertime

13 hours ago, Hammertime said:

Who says Brock can't change his game enough as he ages to be effective bottom 6? He's crazy smart, reliable 2 way, and strangely good at puck battles on the walls.

11 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Who says Brock can't change his game enough as he ages to be effective bottom 6? He's crazy smart, reliable 2 way, and strangely good at puck battles on the walls.

200.gif