[Speculation] Oilers’ Open Extension Negotiations With Leon Draisaitl

16 hours ago, Joe King said:

True. But I wonder why this has to get so out of control the other way. I understand careers are short. But I'm talking about players that have already made millions and some tens of millions asking for so much more to the point the teams get disassembled. I see no loyalty to the fans that cheer for them and pay their pay cheque by supporting the team.

What loyalty do gms show players when they start to slow down or they need cap space for the young up and comers?  It's a business. The players need to make every cebtvtgdy can while they're can.  One injury can end it all 

19 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

What loyalty do gms show players when they start to slow down or they need cap space for the young up and comers?  It's a business. The players need to make every cebtvtgdy can while they're can.  One injury can end it all 

You are  right no loyalty by the GM's and no loyalty by the players. Where does that leave the fans that are asked to show support for the team. I will keep cheering for Canucks and only the Canucks. I would like to see them build a winner, just getting a little discouraged is all.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Joe King said:

You are  right no loyalty by the GM's and no loyalty by the players. Where does that leave the fans that are asked to show support for the team. I will keep cheering for Canucks and only the Canucks. I would like to see them build a winner, just getting a little discouraged is all.

At the end of the day it's the team you cheer for, not the players.   Trades, free agency, retirement, the players are always going to change one way or another 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

11 minutes ago, Joe King said:

Only cheering for one team and against all the rest is what a true fan truly is. Snd if a player isn’t on our team then F them.

F the Coilers. Hopefully they commit gross amounts of cap to Dryercycle. No Cup EVER for McWhiner Baby. Got to love that! 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

At the end of the day it's the team you cheer for, not the players.   Trades, free agency, retirement, the players are always going to change one way or another 

I normally don't weight in on these contract discussions. But each year there seems more and more of them. I think I will return to ignoring them and enjoy my summer, and leave the negotiations to the professionals. 

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Only cheering for one team and against all the rest is what a true fan truly is. Snd if a player isn’t on our team then F them.

F the Coilers. Hopefully they commit gross amounts of cap to Dryercycle. No Cup EVER for McWhiner Baby. Got to love that! 

100%

On 6/16/2024 at 9:05 AM, ArmchairGM22 said:

$50 mil going to 4 players lol 😂 

Edmonton is f’d 

this is their one chance to win a cup and they’re done after 

$16 McD

$14 Drai

$10 Bouchard 

$9.Nurse and no one is taking that contract without 4 first rounders and their best prospect 

basically 1/2 their cap is going to be in 4 players, and that’s when the cap hits $100 mil 

And to get a true picture, you need to add back in the next 3 years at 5m for Campbell and 3.2m going to Brown in 2024/25. For Campbell and Nurse, a buyout only kicks the can down the street where they are once again needing $ in 2026 to resigning McD and a whole whack of others.

Oilers can only really do two things; trade Drai this summer OR run it back next year without improvements to team and watch him leave for nothing in FA. Holland has created a cap situation where keeping both and icing decent other players is impossible. As a canucks fan...I hope they run it back and lose him for nothing. Then see if McD decides to stay as the team has then shown they have no plan.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

And to get a true picture, you need to add back in the next 3 years at 5m for Campbell and 3.2m going to Brown in 2024/25. For Campbell and Nurse, a buyout only kicks the can down the street where they are once again needing $ in 2026 to resigning McD and a whole whack of others.

Oilers can only really do two things; trade Drai this summer OR run it back next year without improvements to team and watch him leave for nothing in FA. Holland has created a cap situation where keeping both and icing decent other players is impossible. As a canucks fan...I hope they run it back and lose him for nothing. Then see if McD decides to stay as the team has then shown they have no plan.

If Drai leaves, McD is going home to Toronto. He wants to win....

20 minutes ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

If Drai leaves, McD is going home to Toronto. He wants to win....

Lmao well he sure as hell is hanging up all hopes of winning if he thinks he can do it in Toronto. They havent even won a game in the 2nd round in like 20 years

14 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I love JT but no. 

Lol. I know I have homer goggles and Oilers distaste. But 55 more points over the three years for Drais. JT way more complete and doesn't have the luxury of being on that Oilers PP. I can accept I'm being a homer, but honestly I think JT is the better hockey player over that span. I get it though. I can be guilty of being a fanboy.

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

Lmao well he sure as hell is hanging up all hopes of winning if he thinks he can do it in Toronto. They havent even won a game in the 2nd round in like 20 years

That team with McD instead of Marner and an improved Defense could win. 

30 minutes ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

That team with McD instead of Marner and an improved Defense could win. 

How do you improve D with what would be at least 40mil in 3 forwards?

Not to mention you still need goaltending..  secondary scoring… Edmonton is relying entirely on 1 line and a PP to win series. 

3 hours ago, Rekker said:

Drais is so overrated. Tell me I'm wrong. JT is a better, complete hockey player last three seasons than Drais.

I HATE Draisaitl and I absolutely CANNOT stand him. But, you would be delusional to think JT is better. Draisaitl is one of the best players in the league and he was a major reason why we lost to the Oilers (he did more damage to us in the series than McDavid). Do I think he benefits from playing on the same team and sometimes on the same line as McDavid? Yes. However, that does not diminish his skill level and how good he is as a player overall.

• Cheers 2

18 hours ago, BC_Hawk said:

Brown is a UFA. He was only a 1-year deal.

And Campbell will most likely get bought out at the end of the month. There are no signing bonuses, which makes it less onerous. Cap hits will be: 1.1, 2.3, 2.6, and 3 x 1.5.

All that said, it’s a tough situation. Core guys like Ekholm, Hyman, RNH and Kane are into their 30’s, and won’t be getting better. And even with a cap raise and a Campbell buyout, they’ll only have $14M of space, with 10 roster spots to fill. Ceci is the only other big expiring contract, so there isn’t room to give Drai + Bouchard $25M the following year, even if they wanted to.

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

15 mil x 8 years. Hahaha! Losers. 

as much as I'd love to see them do that, I think this is just a prelude to trading him. They'll need the excuse of him being prohibitively expensive to move him maybe as soon as this off season.  

53 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Brown is a UFA. He was only a 1-year deal.

And Campbell will most likely get bought out at the end of the month. There are no signing bonuses, which makes it less onerous. Cap hits will be: 1.1, 2.3, 2.6, and 3 x 1.5.

All that said, it’s a tough situation. Core guys like Ekholm, Hyman, RNH and Kane are into their 30’s, and won’t be getting better. And even with a cap raise and a Campbell buyout, they’ll only have $14M of space, with 10 roster spots to fill. Ceci is the only other big expiring contract, so there isn’t room to give Drai + Bouchard $25M the following year, even if they wanted to.

Brown has performance bonuses owed to him from this season that the Oilers will have to carry into next year. They're going to carry $3.225M in dead cap next year for the pleasure of having 5 goals and 17 points in 87 regular season and playoff games from Connor Brown this year.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, Olli Juolevi said:

Brown has performance bonuses owed to him from this season that the Oilers will have to carry into next year. They're going to carry $3.225M in dead cap next year for the pleasure of having 5 goals and 17 points in 87 regular season and playoff games from Connor Brown this year.

That deal aged like milk 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

That deal aged like milk 

along with Campbell who they will probably buy out.  

Man that team would be good if they had competent management.

Three cheers to their incompetence.  Hip hip hooray....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

That deal aged like milk 

Seemed like a weird deal for me considering the bonus was always a near certainty. Why not tie the bonus to goals and/or points? Did they really think Brown was gonna turn down the chance to revive his career riding shotgun to his Jr buddy McDavid? 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Olli Juolevi said:

Jimmy Fallon Television GIF