Pascal Vincent let go as head of Blue Jackets

28 minutes ago, gwarrior said:

Why now? Why not at the end of the season?

Because they were likely waiting to hire a new GM and then let that GM decide if they want to keep the existing coach or not. I would have been more surprised if Waddell kept Vincent as coach instead of bringing in whoever he wants/trusts.

• Cheers 4

57 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

If they were looking at replacing him, why would they not have tried to beat New Jersey and get Sheldon Keefe?

Kinda odd?

Likely because NJ hired Keefe (may 23) before CBJ hired Waddell (May 28). I can't think of any teams that have ever hired a coach before a GM/President. 

32 minutes ago, Highstickin said:

Likely because NJ hired Keefe (may 23) before CBJ hired Waddell (May 28). I can't think of any teams that have ever hired a coach before a GM/President. 

Well Waddell has his work cut out for him.

Edited by Ghostsof1915

32 minutes ago, Highstickin said:

Except for our owner who hired Bruce “there it is” before JR and PA.

• Haha 2
  • ThereItIs 2

1 hour ago, Highstickin said:

Ummmm..... how about the Vancouver Canucks

• ThereItIs 2

Of course Waddell wants his own guy as coach.  The thing is, the coaching staff and management to a lesser extent go a long way to attracting free agents and helping with trades.  Maybe he has somebody in mind already.

Because they were likely waiting to hire a new GM and then let that GM decide if they want to keep the existing coach or not. I would have been more surprised if Waddell kept Vincent as coach instead of bringing in whoever he wants/trusts.

I forgot they have a new GM. Kind of makes sense now. But still, if letting both go, why not at the same time? Like we did with Benning and Green.

Didn’t we do that exactly that with Boudreau and JR/PA coming in or am misremembering? Or my sarcasm detector is off… 

• ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

Didn’t we do that exactly that with Boudreau and JR/PA coming in or am misremembering? Or my sarcasm detector is off… 

Yup. Our owner promoted Smyle to GM and got him to hire Boudreau. Then JR came in and put the owner in his place, the owner’s box. And told him to keep his fat little nose out of hockey ops. Do far so good. But we all know that Aquaman is just itchin’ to get his nose back into the club’s hockey direction. 

I imagine Waddell will look at guys with recent NHL head coaching experience currently without a job (as far as I know):

Don Granato, Todd McLelland, D.J. Smith, Dave Hakstol, David Quinn, Dean Evason, Jay Woodcroft, Gerard Gallant. Babcock and Quenneville aren't in the mix.

• Cheers 2

14 hours ago, Alflives said:

Except for our owner who hired Bruce “there it is” before JR and PA.

13 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Ummmm..... how about the Vancouver Canucks

13 hours ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

Haha, I guess I must have repressed that memory. You are all right that Van did it recently but I would say it is rare that it happens.  

• Cheers 2

13 hours ago, gwarrior said:

I forgot they have a new GM. Kind of makes sense now. But still, if letting both go, why not at the same time? Like we did with Benning and Green.

Being a smaller market team that hasn't had much success lately maybe ownership was hoping the new GM would keep Vincent so they didn't have to pay two coaches?