Hronek! 

I'd probably do it, we'd just have to find a couple RD via UFA

Iginla will probs be a stud, or someone else

Lot of good prospects at 6

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Yeah yeah, some GM in the top 10 is always willing to trade the pick but never does.

Unless it's Benning about to fuck up the franchise again...

you’d be surprised, check out this list (from 2017). not as much activity recently but we’ve done it twice with Schneider and of course, the Sedins.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/goes-brown-10-trades-involving-top-10-nhl-draft-picks/?sn-amp

2013: Cory Schneider

The trade: On the draft floor, the Devils and Canucks stunned the hockey worldwith a deal that sent Schneider to New Jersey in exchange for the No. 9 pick. The trade was a jaw-dropper, because we’d all spent the last few years trying to figure out how the Canucks would trade Roberto Luongo. Instead, Vancouver GM Mike Gillis moved Schneider for a high pick.

Oh, and the draft was in New Jersey, leading to one of the greatest Gary Bettman draft-floor announcements of all time as a crowd goes from booing the commissioner for existing to exploding when he drops the trade on them.

The result: Schneider has been very good with the Devils, although he’s coming off a shaky year. Meanwhile, the Canucks used the ninth pick on Bo Horvat, who seems to be blossoming into the kind of solid two-way center you build a team around but isn’t quite there yet.

And the winner is…: At this point, it’s New Jersey, who have four years of reliable .920 goaltending to show for the deal. But Horvat is close to nudging this back towards undecided territory.

1999: Daniel Sedin

The trade: In what probably stands as Brian Burke’s finest moment as an NHL GM, he made three separate deals in the hours leading up to the draft to position himself to get both Sedin twins. The first – and the one that qualifies for this list – saw him send Bryan McCabe and a future first to the Blackhawks for their fourth-overall pick.

From there, Burke traded the fourth and additional picks to the Lightning for the first-overall choice, then flipped that pick to the Thrashers to move down a spot to second. He already had the third pick, and with the Thrashers set on taking Patrik Stefan, Burke was able to bring both Sedins to Vancouver.

The result: The future first ended up being the 11th pick in 2000; the Blackhawks used it on Pavel Vorobiev, who was a bust. McCabe was a good defenceman for another decade, but the Sedins will probably end up in the Hall of Fame.

And the winner is…: The Canucks, by a mile. Say what you want about Burke’s various GM jobs, but the guy knew how to work a trade.

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, snowman955 said:

Thow in Mik.

In a way, I kind of hope they miss out on their main, expensive targets because it will force them to get creative and think outside the box.

2 hours ago, stawns said:

He is under full control of the team he plays for.  It's not like you've got two weeks to sign him before he's free to go where he wants.  

You'd be trading for the player, not the right to negotiate before anyone else does.  Huge difference 

There's still a massive risk with him not being under contract.  He could elect arbitration and walk to ufa status in a year.  Thst affects his trade value, not to mention the recent injury history 

Just now, qwijjibo said:

There's still a massive risk with him not being under contract.  He could elect arbitration and walk to ufa status in a year.  Thst affects his trade value, not to mention the recent injury history 

I'd imagine any seriously interested team would do due diligence before actually making the deal.

I'm sure LouLam knew, ahead of time, that an extension for Bo was very likely

3 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Hronek and a 3rd to Utah for the 6OA, extension worked out beforehand

Draft Iginla and piss off Calgary 

Profit 

That isn’t a terrible idea.  Probably appealing to Utah, who knows what other options they might have for that pick.  A top pairing RD for a team that has zero defence signed for next season is pretty compelling.

As much as Iginla is a Calgary icon… he lives in the Okanagan during his retirement and his son plays in the Okanagan.  Having a team draft his kid that won’t have him playing on the far side of the continent would probably make them pretty happy.

Probably a more compelling idea for Utah than us.  I could see us swinging the first part of that deal but then using that pick as currency for help now.  Though keeping that pick makes next year’s 1st rounder much more expendable.  Keep the 6th pick and trade away what will hopefully be a 20th-32nd pick.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 2

Just now, stawns said:

I'd imagine any seriously interested team would do due diligence before actually making the deal.

I'm sure LouLam knew, ahead of time, that an extension for Bo was very likely

But the point is his contract status affects his trade value.  If he wants to he can essentially use it as trade protection.  PLD dictated where he was willing to go just last season 

5 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

But the point is his contract status affects his trade value.  If he wants to he can essentially use it as trade protection.  PLD dictated where he was willing to go just last season 

And the jets made out like bandits

Just now, stawns said:

And the jets made out like bandits

Because Blake is terrible at hid job lol. They aren't all Bennings and Blake's out there. The fact remains the player has a lot of say in his destination because of his contract status 

3 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

Because Blake is terrible at hid job lol. They aren't all Bennings and Blake's out there. The fact remains the player has a lot of say in his destination because of his contract status 

I think a 26 year rhd who just put up some great numbers holds an awful lot of value for a lot of GM's.  He's not going to get a top 10 pick or anything, but if they decide to move him, they'll get a great return

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I think a 26 year rhd who just put up some great numbers holds an awful lot of value for a lot of GM's.  He's not going to get a top 10 pick or anything, but if they decide to move him, they'll get a great return

I think they'll get a good return. But his contract status and recent injury history may temper it a bit.  If he were as valuable as some people suggest (I'm not saying you). The Canucks would move heaven and earth to get him signed long term.  He'll garner a very good return, but if his contract demands are unreasonable and he's only willing to extend with certain clubs, the return will be impacted 

2 hours ago, Hammertime said:

Hronek + Hoglander

Crouse + 6th?

Hronek has more value that Crouse we don’t have to add, they do. 

Relatively young, big skating RD who can put up close to 50 pts has alot of value in the league 

17 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

I think they'll get a good return. But his contract status and recent injury history may temper it a bit.  If he were as valuable as some people suggest (I'm not saying you). The Canucks would move heaven and earth to get him signed long term.  He'll garner a very good return, but if his contract demands are unreasonable and he's only willing to extend with certain clubs, the return will be impacted 

That’s why you focus on a team with no Dmen signed, lots of cap room, in a new city. 

he is a premium asset to Utah

3 minutes ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

That’s why you focus on a team with no Dmen signed, lots of cap room, in a new city. 

he is a premium asset to Utah

Maybe, but what if he isn't willing to extend there? Plus there are a number of quality D slated to hit free agency.  Vancouver won't be able to hold them hostage on the return. 

8 minutes ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

Hronek has more value that Crouse we don’t have to add, they do. 

Relatively young, big skating RD who can put up close to 50 pts has alot of value in the league 

Did you gloss over the 6th overall?