[Speculation] Utah Willing To Move Sixth Overall Pick

23 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

Maybe, but what if he isn't willing to extend there? Plus there are a number of quality D slated to hit free agency.  Vancouver won't be able to hold them hostage on the return. 

Again, everyone would do due diligence.

Just now, stawns said:

Again, everyone would do due diligence.

Ok. But explain to me why anyone would  pay substantially more than Vancouver paid for him?

He had an amazing half a season playing with a likely Norris winner but went downhill in the secind half. He said he wasnt fighting an injury. He's older, closer to ufa, awful with the media, and is either injury prone or simply can't play a full season. Canucks brass clearly have questions regarding his ability to anchor his own pairing and don't appear to be willing to pay his asking price. So those things factor in too. 

Don't get me wrong. He's worth a high return, but 6th OA is likely out of the question 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

Ok. But explain to me why anyone would  pay substantially more than Vancouver paid for him?

He had an amazing half a season playing with a likely Norris winner but went downhill in the secind half. He said he wasnt fighting an injury. He's older, closer to ufa, awful with the media, and is either injury prone or simply can't play a full season. Canucks brass clearly have questions regarding his ability to anchor his own pairing and don't appear to be willing to pay his asking price. So those things factor in too. 

Don't get me wrong. He's worth a high return, but 6th OA is likely out of the question 

You don't think he's increased his value over his time in van?  Anyone that trades for him and signs him is going to get a guy for their top pair for the entirety of his prime years.  He will have that value to many teams who dont have a quinn Hughes on their backend.

He's an excellent defenseman, he's just not as valuable to Vancouver as he would be to other teams

• Like 2

I don't think Hronek is enough to get it done. We'd probably have to add someone like Lekkerimaki tbh.

Hronek+Lekkerimaki for a chance to take Demidov/Dickinson????.... maybe if they include something else, or its a bigger deal where someone like Crouse comes back.

I don't see it from our perspective.

Edit: If anything I wonder if they'd trade Hronek for a pick in the teens+.

If Carter Yakemchuk falls that would be a primo target, he's a top 10 talent for me. But even if he doesn't you could still be looking at guys like Adam Jiricek, Beckett Sennecke, Konsta Helenius, Michael Brandsegg-Nygard, Cole Eiserman. Some decent top 6F/top 4D prospects for sure. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian

12 hours ago, tas said:

unless he holds out for a different team or more money or signs in europe.

yes, you obviously have more control than a ufa's rights, but you still have to get him under contract, and the trade is still for the rights. 

Screenshot_20240617-183546.thumb.png.d13967221f0d3bdb9dc394184edb5af9.png

His incessant need to be right over anything, even in the face of being completely wrong, is quite laughable

If an RFA player is unsigned, a team trading for that player is trading for the RIGHT to sign them, aka their 'rights'

Looks like that WHL experience in 1954 isn't paying off like it use to

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 2

33 minutes ago, Whorvat said:

His incessant need to be right over anything, even in the face of being completely wrong, is quite laughable

If an RFA player is unsigned, a team trading for that player is trading for the RIGHT to sign them, aka their 'rights'

and it's not like I even care, it's just that he felt the need to "correct" someone who was already correct when he himself was wrong. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Whorvat said:

But they have full control, that player will be playing for you one way or the other.  He can't just decide to sign somewhere else........unless he decides not to play at all, which isn't going to happen.  

He can go to arbitration, but he'll then be awarded a contract and he'll be in your lineup for a year and you ca

However, any team that would make that deal would do their due diligence and would understand the probability of getting a contract done once the trade is done (if not before).  No team is just going to blindly trade for him not knowing that.  They're not in kindergarten.

The point was that being an rfa doesn't  diminish your value much, if at all.  Both cases brought up, show that the team trading the rfa made out very well

Just now, stawns said:

But they have full control, that player will be playing for you one way or the other.  He can't just decide to sign somewhere else........unless he decides not to play at all, which isn't going to happen.  

He can go to arbitration, but he'll then be awarded a contract and he'll be in your lineup for a year and you ca

However, any team that would make that deal would do their due diligence and would understand the probability of getting a contract done once the trade is done (if not before).  No team is just going to blindly trade for him not knowing that.  They're not in kindergarten.

The point was that being an rfa doesn't  diminish your value much, if at all.  Both cases brought up, show that the team trading the rfa made out very well

Love that you're still trying to be correct after being so incorrect. Admire the dedication.

An RFA can sign with any team, so long as they're willing to pay the compensation

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

he can sign in Europe. 

edit: and depending on the situation an offer sheet. 

Edited by tas
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, qwijjibo said:

I'm sure you would.  Utah wouldn't though 

No way would we make that trade. Sixth OA could be a crap player like Virtanen or Reinbacher. Hronek is a proven elite top pairing right shot D who is only 26. 

8 minutes ago, Bure10Kuzmenko96 said:

I'd do Hronek + Podz

Crouse + 6th

I don't think that gets it done. And realistically I think myself and the team are betting on Pods becoming a beast in his mid-late 20s. I'm a big Hoglander fan since forever but I can't seem to find a spot for him in the top 9 without a bit of wedging. 

8 minutes ago, Whorvat said:

Love that you're still trying to be correct after being so incorrect. Admire the dedication.

An RFA can sign with any team, so long as they're willing to pay the compensation

Are you not claiming to be right?  How does that apply to one person and not another.  That smells like hypocrisy.

Again, the traded player has two choices........play for the team that traded for you, or don't play at all.

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, tas said:

he can sign in Europe. 

edit: and depending on the situation an offer sheet. 

He can, absolutely.  There's almost zero chance a player does that and any team that wouldn't cover all their bases would deserve to suffer that fate.

I don't think Hronek can be offer sheeted and no one is giving up the package needed to get him, imo.  That'd be a better package than they'd get in a deal probably 

4 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I don't think Hronek is enough to get it done. We'd probably have to add someone like Lekkerimaki tbh.

Hronek+Lekkerimaki for a chance to take Demidov/Dickinson????.... maybe if they include something else, or its a bigger deal where someone like Crouse comes back.

I don't see it from our perspective.

Edit: If anything I wonder if they'd trade Hronek for a pick in the teens+.

If Carter Yakemchuk falls that would be a primo target, he's a top 10 talent for me. But even if he doesn't you could still be looking at guys like Adam Jiricek, Beckett Sennecke, Konsta Helenius, Michael Brandsegg-Nygard, Cole Eiserman. Some decent top 6F/top 4D prospects for sure. 

I wouldn't trade Hronek straight up for the 6th overall. Hronek proved this year that he is capable of playing and handling 1st pairing minutes as a RD. 

There is No One in this draft class, past the 1st OA who I would say is a sure shot at having an impactful career in the NHL. 6th OA? They need to add, RD are a premium in the NHL, they have substantial value

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

Are you not claiming to be right?  How does that apply to one person and not another.  That smells like hypocrisy.

Again, the traded player has two choices........play for the team that traded for you, or don't play at all.

Difference between you and I here, is that you're actually incorrect and now trying to turn it into something else.

You honestly would have a better conversation with yourself in a mirror, than anyone on this site, based on every single thread I see your name pop up in.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Whorvat said:

Difference between you and I here, is that you're actually incorrect and now trying to turn it into something else.

You honestly would have a better conversation with yourself in a mirror, than anyone on this site, based on every single thread I see your name pop up in.

Yet you keep replying telling me I'm wrong and you're right

Interested Thinking GIF by reactionseditor

• Wiener 2

17 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Canucks fans are funny, the team just gets to where it's ready to contend and fans are like, "Let's trade everyone for draft picks so we can contend in 6 or 7 years..."

squirrel GIF

its been this way for a while, but its more of a vocal but small component. 

For me, I like Hronek but not at any price. If he won't come down to earth a bit we should move him to improve elsewhere, not just for the picks. 

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Canucks fans are funny, the team just gets to where it's ready to contend and fans are like, "Let's trade everyone for draft picks so we can contend in 6 or 7 years..."

squirrel GIF

It's just around hronek and rightfully so.  If he's drawing a line in the sand at an inflated cost, they need to move him.  Further to that, a trade might be their best bet for filling a spot or two.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, stawns said:

He can, absolutely.  There's almost zero chance a player does that and any team that wouldn't cover all their bases would deserve to suffer that fate.

I don't think Hronek can be offer sheeted and no one is giving up the package needed to get him, imo.  That'd be a better package than they'd get in a deal probably 

none of this is even relevant. we're arguing needlessly because you decided to correct someone who wasn't wrong. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, stawns said:

the difference is that you were objectively wrong and the person you were "correcting" was objectively right. it's not a matter of opinion or perspective. it's fact. 

• Cheers 2