[Speculation] Utah Willing To Move Sixth Overall Pick

1 minute ago, tas said:

none of this is even relevant. we're arguing needlessly because you decided to correct someone who wasn't wrong. 

You're really butthurt over this hey? 

• Wiener 1

21 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

its been this way for a while, but its more of a vocal but small component. 

For me, I like Hronek but not at any price. If he won't come down to earth a bit we should move him to improve elsewhere, not just for the picks. 

Agree completely, the equivalent value for him was set earlier in the season, around 7.25 million per.

• ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

You're really butthurt over this hey? 

I've already said I couldn't care less, I just find it obnoxious when know-nothings act like know-it-alls. 

• Cheers 3

14 minutes ago, stawns said:

It's just around hronek and rightfully so.  If he's drawing a line in the sand at an inflated cost, they need to move him.  Further to that, a trade might be their best bet for filling a spot or two.

Agreed, look at the duscounts players in Colorado took to build a contender and keep it together. I get that they have short careers, but are they here to win the cup or to extract every last dollar they can out of a contract.

Totally agree that we should move him if he's just looking for the maximum. Miller took less to stay here, we need guys to be like Miller!

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Are you not claiming to be right?  How does that apply to one person and not another.  That smells like hypocrisy.

Again, the traded player has two choices........play for the team that traded for you, or don't play at all.

This isn't correct. Hronek is free to sign with any team.

• Cheers 4

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

when does the offer sheet window open up this year?

1 minute ago, Olli Juolevi said:

I'm not 100% certain but I believe it's still July 1 like the UFA's.

When can a club negotiate an offer sheet with a player?

Negotiations of a potential offer sheet between a player and a club can begin on the later of:
  1. 5:00pm ET on June 26th
  2. 5:00pm ET on Tuesday following the NHL Entry Draft

When can a player sign an offer sheet?

A player can sign an Offer Sheet as of July 1

https://www.capfriendly.com/offer-sheet-faq

Edited by HKSR
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 2

12 hours ago, Provost said:

That isn’t a terrible idea.  Probably appealing to Utah, who knows what other options they might have for that pick.  A top pairing RD for a team that has zero defence signed for next season is pretty compelling.

As much as Iginla is a Calgary icon… he lives in the Okanagan during his retirement and his son plays in the Okanagan.  Having a team draft his kid that won’t have him playing on the far side of the continent would probably make them pretty happy.

Probably a more compelling idea for Utah than us.  I could see us swinging the first part of that deal but then using that pick as currency for help now.  Though keeping that pick makes next year’s 1st rounder much more expendable.  Keep the 6th pick and trade away what will hopefully be a 20th-32nd pick.

I imagine they'll be retaining Durzi but a 1-2 punch of Hronek and him on the right side could set them up for years. Sure, they could go hunting via UFA but that's not a sure thing and Hronek's younger. 

Probably, it might even be better, that's a tough legacy to try and live up to in Calgary. 

If we did make the deal I'd hope that we'd use the pick, hard to see us drafting that high again sooner than later otherwise. Iginla would arguably be our top prospect, and it'd be a big infusion of talent into the prospect pool. If we're going to move a pick I'd much rather move one that isn't likely to be a top 10 pick. 

Just now, HKSR said:

When can a club negotiate an offer sheet with a player?

Negotiations of a potential offer sheet between a player and a club can begin on the later of:
  1. 5:00pm ET on June 26th
  2. 5:00pm ET on Tuesday following the NHL Entry Draft

https://www.capfriendly.com/offer-sheet-faq

Does the team with a players rights need to be made aware of the negotiations? 

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Probably not.  The player is a 'free agent', just restricted.  I think the time the team is made fully aware is when the Offer Sheet is presented.  By then, the player is probably already ready to sign on the dotted line of the offer sheet.

I think most of the time, the team that is trying to poach the player will have made the team aware to try and force a trade instead. 

Edited by HKSR

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Wasn't it Edmonton signing Dustin Penner to an offer sheet that prompted Brian Burke to challenge Edmonton's GM to a fight? I think it was Lowe.

Just now, Olli Juolevi said:

Wasn't it Edmonton signing Dustin Penner to an offer sheet that prompted Brian Burke to challenge Edmonton's GM to a fight? I think it was Lowe.

a barn fight, specifically. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Probably not.  The player is a 'free agent', just restricted.  I think the time the team is made fully aware is when the Offer Sheet is presented.  By then, the player is probably already ready to sign on the dotted line of the offer sheet.

this would be an interesting wrinkle. I would hope management would somehow catch wind of it beforehand, it could be quite the hammer an agent could use in negotiations. 

Just now, Bob Long said:

this would be an interesting wrinkle. I would hope management would somehow catch wind of it beforehand, it could be quite the hammer an agent could use in negotiations. 

I think JR is connected enough in this industry that he'd find out before the offer sheet shows up.

image.gif.c28dac89432e76f782bb1da573054435.gif

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

is there this much parity in the draft this year? is it a weak one? haven't been paying attention to it. 

I know right!?  so nice to not paying attention to the draft for once.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

48 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Agreed, look at the duscounts players in Colorado took to build a contender and keep it together. I get that they have short careers, but are they here to win the cup or to extract every last dollar they can out of a contract.

Totally agree that we should move him if he's just looking for the maximum. Miller took less to stay here, we need guys to be like Miller!

The combination of hronek as an asset and significant cap space puts van into a position they really haven't been in before and opens the door to sons real opportunity, imo

• Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, Olli Juolevi said:

This isn't correct. Hronek is free to sign with any team.

No he's not, he's an rfa.  The team controls his destiny in the league for one more year unless he extends.

• Wiener 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

No he's not, he's an rfa.  The team controls his destiny in the league for one more year unless he extends.

I believe he's talking about signing an offer sheet.  (Assumkng one is offered) 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

So picks 6, 7 10 and 11 are in play?

I mean....

There's similar reports every draft.  Gm's testing the water to see who will overpay.  At the end of the day top 10 picks seldom get moved 

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

4 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

I believe he's talking about signing an offer sheet.  (Assumkng one is offered) 

Yes. He's free to negotiate with any team he chooses. And being one year from UFA, he's got more leverage than a standard RFA. We've seen this recently with a situation like Tkachuk.

• Like 1