[Speculation] Utah Willing To Move Sixth Overall Pick

4 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

I believe he's talking about signing an offer sheet.  (Assumkng one is offered) 

Yes please, the assets they'd get from that would be much bigger than they would from a trade

Alas, no one is sacrificing the future of the franchise for Hronek.

9 minutes ago, Olli Juolevi said:

Yes. He's free to negotiate with any team he chooses. And being one year from UFA, he's got more leverage than a standard RFA. We've seen this recently with a situation like Tkachuk.

He does have leverage, no doubt, but only so much........the team is in control much more than the player is.

The compensation for a hronek offer sheet is a 1st, a 2nd and a third pick........only 13 teams are able to do that and some of them won't be able to cover the cap space for his deal.

Imo, an offer sheet for Hronek is not something that's going to happen

3 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

I believe he's talking about signing an offer sheet.  (Assumkng one is offered) 

Yup, and these 2 teams are ones that could potentially offer sheet and the return to Vancouver would kinda suck considering we gave up 17OA and 43OA.

Carolina - 27OA, 60OA, 92OA

Nashville - 22OA, 55OA, 87OA

38 minutes ago, stawns said:

No he's not, he's an rfa.  The team controls his destiny in the league for one more year unless he extends.

Once again you're 100% incorrect.

Hronek can sign with ANY team that offers him a contract as of June 26, 2024.

This is a fact, regardless of what way you try to spin it.

Love that you've devolved into telling people they're butt hurt just because you've been continuously proven wrong. Must be tough as a know-it-all.

Edited by Whorvat
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Whorvat said:

Love that you've devolved into telling people they're butt hurt just because you've been continuously proven wrong. Must be tough as a know-it-all.

Moving goal posts... it's what he does best to just try and be 'right'. 

An RFA can sign with ANY team they want.  What the team that owns his rights does AFTER the fact doesn't change the reality that a free agent is free to sign anywhere for any team in any league on this planet.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, Whorvat said:

DpQ9YJl.png

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Whorvat said:

Not true. He can only be signed by teams that have the proper compensation for the draft. At his price point, few teams have the perfect Match of picks and cap space to make it work. 

it’s a 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Out of the 13 teams that can do it (only talking about draft capital here), around half have top 10 picks this year, so count them out. 

See how the market is thinning? 

Edited by HorvatToBaertschi

10 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yup, and these 2 teams are ones that could potentially offer sheet and the return to Vancouver would kinda suck considering we gave up 17OA and 43OA.

Carolina - 27OA, 60OA, 92OA

Nashville - 22OA, 55OA, 87OA

Keep in mind that the compensation would be next years picks. Not this year's. 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Whorvat said:

So what's the difference between rfa and ufa?

1 minute ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Not true. He can only be signed by teams that have the proper compensation for the draft. At his price point, few teams have the perfect Match of picks and cap space to make it work. 

it’s a 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Out of the 13 teams that can do it, around half have top 10 picks this year, so count them out. 

See how the market is thinning? 

Yep that's true as well.  I pointed out 2 teams that could do it, and would make sense for them to do so...

Carolina

Nashville

Just now, qwijjibo said:

Yeah, without knowing how the teams will finish NEXT year, I'm using THIS year as a gauge.

Just now, stawns said:

So what's the difference between rfa and ufa?

Team receives compensation for RFA, not for UFA. Does not change the fact that the RFA can sign with any team that offers a contract.

Pretty simple. Keep trying, you're getting it.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

I’m sure capfriendly is aware of this and is posting the proper information. 

ah turns out you’re incorrect, it’s with the nearest draft. This is probably why Vancouver has set the draft as the max signing date for Hronek.

Edited by HorvatToBaertschi

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

its been this way for a while, but its more of a vocal but small component. 

For me, I like Hronek but not at any price. If he won't come down to earth a bit we should move him to improve elsewhere, not just for the picks. 

I haven't seen anyone say Hronek should be signed for "any price". That's not even remotely on the table in any of this. Never has been. A lot of people just jump to that conclusion thinking that's what others believe. 

I've been saying for a while now that the fact that he came down to earth in the second half was a good thing. If we lock him up at $7.25, that could be great value long term since he and Hughes are just entering their prime.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yep that's true as well.  I pointed out 2 teams that could do it, and would make sense for them to do so...

Carolina

Nashville

Those are both cap-weary teams that don’t tend to overpay. If they sign Hronek, it’s probably at a price point we’d be willing to match easily. 

2 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Canucks fans are funny, the team just gets to where it's ready to contend and fans are like, "Let's trade everyone for draft picks so we can contend in 6 or 7 years..."

And while we're trading everyone ... bring back players we moved on from that we couldn't win with, were also injury prone, and we all thought sucked when we were losing.

Great strategy. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Those are both cap-weary teams that don’t tend to overpay. If they sign Hronek, it’s probably at a price point we’d be willing to match easily. 

I look at their RHD depth and it makes a lot of sense for them.  Cap weary doesn't mean they don't spend big cap dollars.  They just spend on players that will be under contract for a long time. 

3 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I haven't seen anyone say Hronek should be signed for "any price". That's not even remotely on the table in any of this. Never has been. A lot of people just jump to that conclusion thinking that's what others believe. 

I've been saying for a while now that the fact that he came down to earth in the second half was a good thing. If we lock him up at $7.25, that could be great value long term since he and Hughes are just entering their prime.

not trying to set up a straw man, but I do believe I've seen some comments OK with the 8+ price, given the scarcity of top 4 RHD. Maybe they are right, dunno. 

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Carolina

Nashville

And that would be a great way to pick up some draft capital to go with cap space and make some deals.  

Again, the Canucks are in the catbird seat and if he signs a deal, they get major compensation.  He doesn't just walk away

19 minutes ago, Whorvat said:

Team receives compensation for RFA, not for UFA. Does not change the fact that the RFA can sign with any team that offers a contract.

Pretty simple. Keep trying, you're getting it.

So the team still holds all the value of a player, which is what the original discussion was about.

You came in part through a convo that had nothing to do with you, that you obviously didn't follow, just to toss out personal insults.

The value of hronek is only slightly diminished as an rfa and the Canucks still hold most of the cards.  If they deal him, the team that trades for him will then hold most of the cards.

• Wiener 1

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

So the team still holds all the value of a player, which is what the original discussion was about.

You came in part through a convo that had nothing to do with you, that you obviously didn't follow, just to toss out personal insults.

The value of hronek is only slightly diminished as an rfa and the Canucks still hold most of the cards.  If they deal him, the team that trades for him will then hold most of the cards.

I still think you're underplaying how much power the player has here. Look at Tkachuk in Calgary and PLD. They both dictated where they wanted to go. Worked out fine for Winnipeg,  I don't think anyone would say tge same about Calgary.  Hell look back at the Kesler trade.  When a player has significant influence on where they'll go by saying they'll extend there or not the teams that he will sign with hold the hammer 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, qwijjibo said:

I still think you're underplaying how much power the player has here. Look at Tkachuk in Calgary and PLD. They both dictated where they wanted to go. Worked out fine for Winnipeg,  I don't think anyone would say tge same about Calgary.  Hell look back at the Kesler trade.  When a player has significant influence on where they'll go by saying they'll extend there or not the teams that he will sign with hold the hammer 

No kidding.  All it takes is for Hronek to say, "I"m not signing in Vancouver.  I'll sign for Carolina, NYR, or Florida", and all of a sudden the Canucks have ZERO leverage.  Hronek holds the hammer here.

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I imagine they'll be retaining Durzi but a 1-2 punch of Hronek and him on the right side could set them up for years. Sure, they could go hunting via UFA but that's not a sure thing and Hronek's younger. 

Probably, it might even be better, that's a tough legacy to try and live up to in Calgary. 

If we did make the deal I'd hope that we'd use the pick, hard to see us drafting that high again sooner than later otherwise. Iginla would arguably be our top prospect, and it'd be a big infusion of talent into the prospect pool. If we're going to move a pick I'd much rather move one that isn't likely to be a top 10 pick. 

Durzi was a top pairing guy because of no other options and it was a bad team.  On a team hoping to be maybe in a playoff wildcard spot Moser should really be a 3rd pairing guy and Kesselring/Valimaaki really shouldn’t be relied on a lot.

To split up youth and veterans I could see a lineup like:

Zadorov-Durzi

Moser-Hronek

Cole-Valimakki

Kesselring

Obviously it doesn’t have to be all ex Canucks as the veterans, but that shows how much they need just to have an average defence.  Hronek would be a godsend to them.  Having a vet like Cole means they can give Kesselring minutes and rest Cole… and swap them whenever Kesselring is a little more ready.

They know they aren’t a contending team, but they do want to have some success in front of a new crowd and fans.  Building out a D is the way to get to that fringe playoff level.

• Cheers 1

Even though I'd love to keep big Z, Hronek is more important. We should do everything we can to get his deal done first. He'll be on the ice half of the time for the coming 7-8 years. I wouldn't take a 6OA for anything unless it's to be used as a bargaining chip.

• Cheers 1