[Buyout] Jeff Skinner

I'm always worried that Brock Boeser might have the same career trajectory as Jeff Skinner. 

Gifted and talented player that had a heck of a rookie season but has been mostly inconsistent for most of his career and had some history with injuries 

Skinner's contact is the cautionary tale of Canucks want to pay Boeser big money and term 

Edited by iinatcc
  • Confused 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Why does the buyouts work that way? You'd think it would be a similar cap hit all the way through? Is it an issue with bonuses are lumped together or something?

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

You'd be better off asking @HKSR because I hate numbers and he plays with them as a job 

It has to do with formulas that incorporate actual salaries and bonuses.  That's why it fluctuates depending on how the contract was structured to begin with:

https://puckpedia.com/salary-cap/buyouts

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

will be a good bounce back deal for whoever he signs with imo just not a player worth a 9mill cap hit anymore 

Absolutely.  If he signs for $4M to $5M, he will likely outplay that cap hit.  I'd want the Canucks to sign him for sure if he shakes loose as a buyout.

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Agreed.

He'd be interesting with either Miller or Pettersson. 

Games played the past three seasons have been 80, 79, and 74. 

Funny, you get an impression of a guy and then they drop off the face of the Earth by going to Buffalo (relative to Carolina🤣🤣)

For that contract Buffalo gave him, he has been terrible. One truly good year and one defensively terrible but 33g season. 
They signed him to a terrible contract and he has been the leader of a terrible team that has sometimes provided offence and has mostly provided terrible defence. 
They probably need him off the team enough to buy him out.  They need more Alex Tuch’s and less Jeff Skinners. 
He would be a hell of a reclamation project for Tocch to take on. 

i was going to say i wouldn't mind picking up skinner on a super cheap contract if he's looking for a place to compete and reclaim his value.

but than i looked at his skating metrics and no thanks

we need to improve our speed

39 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Funny, you get an impression of a guy and then they drop off the face of the Earth by going to Buffalo (relative to Carolina🤣🤣)

For that contract Buffalo gave him, he has been terrible. One truly good year and one defensively terrible but 33g season. 
They signed him to a terrible contract and he has been the leader of a terrible team that has sometimes provided offence and has mostly provided terrible defence. 
They probably need him off the team enough to buy him out.  They need more Alex Tuch’s and less Jeff Skinners. 
He would be a hell of a reclamation project for Tocch to take on. 

He's not worth 9M, certainly, but he still put up 2nd line production this season

He'd be worth it for many a team if he's bought out and hits UFA, on a short-term, lower money sort of deal

4.5-5.5M would probably be a fair range, and he could potentially outproduce his cap hit 

On 6/18/2024 at 5:56 PM, Coconuts said:

He's not worth 9M, certainly, but he still put up 2nd line production this season

He'd be worth it for many a team if he's bought out and hits UFA, on a short-term, lower money sort of deal

4.5-5.5M would probably be a fair range, and he could potentially outproduce his cap hit 

Someone said it earlier. Smacks of OEL except Buffalo wasn’t stupid enough to trade assets for that contract when it was clear it was bad. 
He isn’t a useless player and in a support role with the right teammates and some really amazing coaching maybe he can be a second liner on a good team. 
I imagine he will take whatever he can from a team near the bottom that wants to start improving, just like when he signed in Buffalo.  A Utah or Chicago, he may even put ina good season here or there. 

Edited by DrJockitch

On 6/18/2024 at 12:48 PM, HarbularyBattery said:

Probably a good lesson in the risks of signing guys to 8m+ deals well into their mid 30s

obviously not all will decline as heavily, but these contracts really are lending themselves to 5 year long + rebuild periods

He didn’t decline he been inconsistent his whole careeer 

On 6/18/2024 at 11:43 AM, c00kies said:

1 Year $3 Million contract.

He gets his stats padded and playoffs, then goes on to sign his last decent contract.

I'd try to get him to sign a 2year contract if possible; would be a tailormade bridge to Lekkermaki.

On 6/18/2024 at 2:05 PM, Coconuts said:

24 goals and 22 assists this season, respectable but not quite what you want from a 9M player. 

35 goals and 47 assists the season before, 33 and 30 the season before that.

This is what we could be looking at for a Brock contract or a Guentzel one.  After a couple good/fair years.  Repsectable,  but not enough.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

On 6/18/2024 at 6:53 PM, Sika21 said:

I might get flamed for saying this but I’d rather have Skinner and Trouba after a buyout (4M + 4M) than Joshua and Zadorov 9.5-10M AAV.

IF he signed on a short term 3-4m contract, I cant see why you couldn't sign him, Zad, and Lindholm (assuming he is <7m LT). That would really fill out the major needs....even leave some room for Blueger IF you unloaded Mik:

Zad 5.25m

Lind 7m

Skinner 4m

Myers 3m

Blueger 2m

Mik -4.75m

Total: +16.5m

Skinner-Lind-Peterson

Garland-Miller-Beoser

Podz-Blueger-Hogs

FA/Suter-Aman/Suter-FA/Bains/Karlsson/etc

Could def see him like a Duchy buy-low top-6 winger for us. Imagine getting him to play with Millsy and BB6 while Gunner plays with Petey. We could even use any space from a Miky trade for someone to play on the other wing with Petey unless Hogs is ready to stay there consistently along with re-upping Z or Dak since his cap hit would likely be low for the value. 

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

This is what we could be looking at for a Brock contract or a Guentzel one.  After a couple good/fair years.  Repsectable,  but not enough.   

That's definitely a risk, no doubt. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, BC_Hawk said:

IF he signed on a short term 3-4m contract, I cant see why you couldn't sign him, Zad, and Lindholm (assuming he is <7m LT). That would really fill out the major needs....even leave some room for Blueger IF you unloaded Mik:

Zad 5.25m

Lind 7m

Skinner 4m

Myers 3m

Blueger 2m

Mik -4.75m

Total: +16.5m

Skinner-Lind-Peterson

Garland-Miller-Beoser

Podz-Blueger-Hogs

FA/Suter-Aman/Suter-FA/Bains/Karlsson/etc

As much as I love Lindy, I think he wants to go somewhere that he can be a guaranteed 1/2C and still get his bag. To me that is definitely Boston who wanted him at the TDL. 

On 6/18/2024 at 2:38 PM, DrJockitch said:

It was a crazy stupid deal when they signed it. $9M for a small, soft often injured winger. 

Wouldn't be so mean as to say soft,  but yep, the writing was on the wall for this deal before the ink dried (Duchene too).  A perfect example of a blue chip player with a pedigree (oft injured yes), who in a contract year "broke out".   Calder winner.   Has the same career arc as Brock's although it's in the details.    It was a stupid deal.  GM's have clued into giving max deals when they can to RFA's.    He's not over the hill (yet).   But for sure his best hockey is behind him, and now an anchor.    Sure glad we've got Tochett handing out the minutes and coaching this team. 

On 6/18/2024 at 3:03 PM, Canuck You said:

Poor guy, I remember his award speech..Dude was so nervous.

A  umm  a ummm a umm.   Well these athletes, are human.   Not easy to stand infront a crowd and do what he did.   Also well, we've had some bad acceptant speeches with our alumni too.      Skinner isn't much different than Bo Horvat really.   And don't expect things to be much different with Brock either.  When he's up capwise as in a similar AVV, cap percentage yes, less for sure. 

• Like 1

With a buyout, Skinner will get close to $15 million of the $27 million owed to him.  So, he only needs $12 million to make up the difference and still collect $9 million per. 

If he can come in at $4-4.5 million for 3 years I would do that deal in a heartbeat.  Play him with Petey.  Would be ALOT cheaper and less riskier than Guentzel.  Then we'd have the money to pay Joshua.  If we trade Mikheyev then we have the money to sign Zadorov and Myers as well.  It's all a domino effect right now.

Edited by Elias Pettersson

Pretty good scouting report from CapFriendly...

Jeff Skinner Scouting Report - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Deserves credit for re-establishing himself as a high end point producer / goal scorer in (22/23).
His overall commitment, and results, improved exponentially and it wasn't just offense. His defensive detail, on and off the puck, went to another level (+15).
Compact frame but sturdy in traffic. Very quick catch and release. Snaps pucks on net from all angles. Elite shot.
Solid skater, but not a burner / speed threat off the rush in transition.
Reads the ice very well in the offensive zone. Speaks to his hockey sense how he finds quiet ice / gets open between the dots.