[Buyout] Jeff Skinner

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

With a buyout, Skinner will get close to $15 million of the $27 million owed to him.  So, he only needs $12 million to make up the difference and still collect $9 million per. 

If he can come in at $4-4.5 million for 3 years I would do that deal in a heartbeat.  Play him with Petey.  Would be ALOT cheaper and less riskier than Guentzel.  Then we'd have the money to pay Joshua.  If we trade Mikheyev then we have the money to sign Zadorov and Myers as well.  It's all a domino effect right now.

If he's bought out that's probably not far off, I'd put him in the 4.5-5.5M range on a 2-3 year deal. He still put up top six production last season, he's just not worth 9M. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

Ok get this guy!  He would be the perfect "buy low" candidate.  $5.5Mish should get it done, and then he has potential to put up 70+ points if he clicks with either Miller or Petey.

Jeff Skinner Getting Bought Out by the Buffalo Sabres

Shane Seney 

Wednesday, June 26, 2024 

The Buffalo Sabres are moving on. According to multiple reports, including initially from Jeff Marek and Elliotte Friedman of Sportsnet, the Sabres are buying out the last three seasons of Jeff Skinner's contract. With the Stanley Cup handed on Monday night, the NHL's buy out window opens on Wednesday. 

Skinner, 32, has three years left at a whopping $9 million annually, and last season recorded 24 goals and 46 points in 74 games. He's spent the past six seasons in Buffalo, and even though he may have just had a down season, he's scored 40, 35, and 33 goals as a Sabre.

There's going to be a tremendous amount of interest in Skinner and he's going to be hearing from the likes of the Carolina Hurricanes, Nashville Predators, LA Kings, Pittsburgh Penguins, Vancouver Canucks, among others.

The $27 million buy out works out to a $1.4 million cap hit next season, then goes up to $4.4, $6.4, and then $2.4-million for three more seasons. This financial flexibility is something the Sabres management group is craving. 

Skinner still has game, it's going to be entertaining to see where he lands.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

On 6/20/2024 at 12:29 PM, Coconuts said:

If he's bought out that's probably not far off, I'd put him in the 4.5-5.5M range on a 2-3 year deal. He still put up top six production last season, he's just not worth 9M. 

Nah he ain't worth more than 3.5

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Ok get this guy!  He would be the perfect "buy low" candidate.  $5.5Mish should get it done, and then he has potential to put up 70+ points if he clicks with either Miller or Petey.

He'd do well as a more sheltered offensive piece

Something Tochett may need to come around to is that every player isn't going to be a great two-way player

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

If he was still worth 5.5, a trade with retention would have happened. He will get 3.5 or so. And yes , we should try

2 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Jeff Skinner Getting Bought Out by the Buffalo Sabres

Shane Seney 

Wednesday, June 26, 2024 

The Buffalo Sabres are moving on. According to multiple reports, including initially from Jeff Marek and Elliotte Friedman of Sportsnet, the Sabres are buying out the last three seasons of Jeff Skinner's contract. With the Stanley Cup handed on Monday night, the NHL's buy out window opens on Wednesday. 

Skinner, 32, has three years left at a whopping $9 million annually, and last season recorded 24 goals and 46 points in 74 games. He's spent the past six seasons in Buffalo, and even though he may have just had a down season, he's scored 40, 35, and 33 goals as a Sabre.

There's going to be a tremendous amount of interest in Skinner and he's going to be hearing from the likes of the Carolina Hurricanes, Nashville Predators, LA Kings, Pittsburgh Penguins, Vancouver Canucks, among others.

The $27 million buy out works out to a $1.4 million cap hit next season, then goes up to $4.4, $6.4, and then $2.4-million for three more seasons. This financial flexibility is something the Sabres management group is craving. 

Skinner still has game, it's going to be entertaining to see where he lands.

Given the amount of interest, he will probably land a deal in the $6M range.  He had a bad year this past year, but the year before he had 82 points.  The year before, 63 points. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Blue said:

If he was still worth 5.5, a trade with retention would have happened. He will get 3.5 or so. And yes , we should try

You think BUF would retain $3M+ for 3 years on him?  He's being bought out because he's probably worth about $6M right now.  Still $3M below his current cap hit. 

He put up 24 goals and 46 points this past year, but is one year removed from a 35 goal 82 point season.  In no world would he be worth $3.5M especially with the amount of interest teams will have on him.  He will get a minimum of $5M IMO.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, HKSR said:

You think BUF would retain $3M+ for 3 years on him?  He's being bought out because he's probably worth about $6M right now.  Still $3M below his current cap hit. 

He put up 24 goals and 46 points this past year, but is one year removed from a 35 goal 82 point season.  In no world would he be worth $3.5M especially with the amount of interest teams will have on him.  He will get a minimum of $5M IMO.

I guess the question is what he's worth vs what he's willing to accept since money is less a concern now, especially given he's secured the bag with the buyout anyhow. 

Not a hard no as he does clearly have offensive ability, but his lack of two way play and mediocre skating aren't selling points. At a post-buyout bargain... maybe? But it's not a move I'm in love with.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, HKSR said:

His buyout cap hit is 4.3 and 6.4 after next year. That's pretty awful so yes. 3 million over 3 looks better to me 

• ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Not a hard no as he does clearly have offensive ability, but his lack of two way play and mediocre skating aren't selling points. At a post-buyout bargain... maybe? But it's not a move I'm in love with.

I think all teams will see it this way. So he's not going to get as much as ppl think. Say your price 

1 minute ago, Blue said:

His buyout cap hit is 4.3 and 6.4 after next year. That's pretty awful so yes. 3 million over 3 looks better to me 

Maybe nobody wants to give up assets for the 'risk'.  There's still a risk just signing him as a UFA to a $5M+ deal... let alone giving up assets to do so.

• Upvote 1

I taKe Skinner on a shorter deal for way less than what Guentzal will get, need to be smart with our money and improve our D. Maybe we can sign Zadorov and Roy or another RHD .

RUN away from Myers, he can go let Juulsen take bottom pair spot for league minimum and find someone else to replace Cole maybe Dillon especially if Zadorov leaves

If we pursue Skinner imho it should only be as an expected 50-60 point player and as such should only offer for that ceiling. Good player, some holes in his game, and would rather pursue better long term options

9 minutes ago, NHLer said:

I guess the question is what he's worth vs what he's willing to accept since money is less a concern now, especially given he's secured the bag with the buyout anyhow. 

There's at least 5 teams that are gonna bid on him.  Majority of them are legitimate playoff teams... all it takes is 2 teams that want him badly enough, and the bidding war will happen until he hits 'market' value for a recent 30+ goal forward.

3 hours ago, Blue said:

I think all teams will see it this way. So he's not going to get as much as ppl think. Say your price 

Something like 1-3 years at $3-$3.5 +/-

And even then, he's like my plan D if I can't actually nab a UFA/trade with better wheels and/or two way ability. Even at more cap. I'd rather have the "right" player, even if it costs more.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Matt Duchene signed for 3M last year after over 20g 50p in less than a full season. And he can play C. I'm not sure if Skinner will get 4-6M, he'll probably have to settle for a 1yr 'show me' deal like Duchene & OEL.

I don't hate the idea of bringing him here if he's very cheap. Clearly offensive skill & Rutherford knows him.

I wouldn't take him over Joshua if that was the choice but if it's cheap enough.. could do worse.

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

On a short term deal, I think the Canucks need to take a hard look. A guy coming off a buyout may be willing to take less than your typical UFA and the Canucks are going to need to be very deliberate with their cap space if they want to flesh out multiple areas of the roster.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 6/20/2024 at 11:29 AM, Coconuts said:

Could be the perfect stop gap until Lekkerimaki is ready to go.

• Like 1

If Buf will retain some on Skinner we can trade Mik to them.  They can then buy out Mik. They improve their buyout math and we get Skinner at a little more than we want to pay but he is a decent top 6 scorer and we would be completely off Mik.

• ThereItIs 1