[Buyout] Jeff Skinner

Just now, HKSR said:

Could be the perfect stop gap until Lekkerimaki is ready to go.

Could be. I think the Canucks may be hard pressed to find their perfect fit when it comes to filling multiple roster holes, gonna be a lot of competition amongst teams for the guys who do hit the UFA market and we aren't guaranteed anyone. I think Skinner would probably do fine so long as his deployment is managed accordingly. You know he'll be motivated to play for a team that should be a playoff team too. 

• Like 1

Interesting at half retained.  Not sure if that better for them. Skinner at 4.5 for 3 for Mr. F. Considertions. 
‘For 9M a year he has given them one truly good year. Don’t need to praise him too much for that.  Doesn’t seem like great ROI. 
‘Personally would prefer a better player than him but if we need a plane D or so. 

4 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

If Buf will retain some on Skinner we can trade Mik to them.  They can then buy out Mik. They improve their buyout math and we get Skinner at a little more than we want to pay but he is a decent top 6 scorer and we would be completely off Mik.

Mik is a far more useful player to us than Skinner, who stinks on every level. 

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

If Buf will retain some on Skinner we can trade Mik to them.  They can then buy out Mik. They improve their buyout math and we get Skinner at a little more than we want to pay but he is a decent top 6 scorer and we would be completely off Mik.

I think Mik is holding everything up for PA/JR right now.  Until they sort him out, there won't be a lot of movement.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Not a bad idea, their cap would be a wash for the most part if Buffalo retained 50% on Skinner. It doesn't free up Mikheyev's cap but it does save us a buyout. The buyout would look better for Buffalo too, no question. 

Depends on whether they'd be willing to pay Skinner 4.5M in the first place though.

Edited by Coconuts

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

I think Mik is holding everything up for PA/JR right now.  Until they sort him out, there won't be a lot of movement.

a buyout seems like just like OEL when they wanted more cap room to make moves last off season. Dubas should take Mik for Smith as the main part of a deal

18 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Hard pass on Skinner. Lots of talk about how he's a ghost defensively and on the forecheck. Not exactly a Tocchet player. Same issue we had with Kuzy.

He is but we need scoring wingers for the top 6 or we wont go any farther next year...we saw it happen this recent playoffs. 

The Lindholm trade was not necessary, we hugely overpaid and lost a lot or organizational depth. Only way that trade is acceptable to me is Lindholm signing with Vancouver but TOcchet used him poorly and I wouldn't likely want to sign either being made the 3C and playing with meh players when Pastrnak is a guy you could play with as I think thats where he goes

32 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Hard pass on Skinner. Lots of talk about how he's a ghost defensively and on the forecheck. Not exactly a Tocchet player. Same issue we had with Kuzy.

Not Sure if any of the following attributes is what Tocchet is looking for in his players.

- Inconsistent playmaker

-Not much of a puck carrier

- Agile but not fast skater

- Uninvolved defensively and on the forecheck with little physicality

Edited by Blitz-Pix
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

On a short term deal, I think the Canucks need to take a hard look. A guy coming off a buyout may be willing to take less than your typical UFA and the Canucks are going to need to be very deliberate with their cap space if they want to flesh out multiple areas of the roster.

Jim likes his skill players. There could be something to this. Plus he'll pitch Van as a playoff contender. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Viking said:

He is but we need scoring wingers for the top 6 or we wont go any farther next year...we saw it happen this recent playoffs. 

The Lindholm trade was not necessary, we hugely overpaid and lost a lot or organizational depth. Only way that trade is acceptable to me is Lindholm signing with Vancouver but TOcchet used him poorly and I wouldn't likely want to sign either being made the 3C and playing with meh players when Pastrnak is a guy you could play with as I think thats where he goes

Not re-signing Lindholm is borderline worse than not re-signing Toffoli all those years ago. That doesn't change the fact Skinner won't be a fit here. Being bad defensively is one thing, but not even being a forechecking threat just makes him a complete liability. Watching the Panthers play, everyone is hard on the puck. From the superstars to the bottom 6ers. We don't want or need Skinner.

40 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Vancouver hasn't had this much flexabiliy and cap space in a long time. Let's enjoy it and not pretend we are still in cap hell. 

1 minute ago, Blue said:

Vancouver hasn't had this much flexabiliy and cap space in a long time. Let's enjoy it and not pretend we are still in cap hell. 

We're definitely not in cap hell, but I'm sure PA/JR have a vision of what the ideal off season looks like, and given that Mikheyev's agent has been permitted to seek a trade, we know Mik is not part of that plan.  So unless Mikheyev is moved soon, the rest of the plan is gonna be stagnant until they are forced to deal with it.  If today goes by, and Mik isn't bought out, I have a feeling we're hanging onto him and hoping for a bounce back season.

15 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

Not Sure if any of the following attributes is what Tocchet is looking for in his players...if so, we probably would have kept Kuzmenko.

- Inconsistent playmaker

-Not much of a puck carrier

- Agile but not fast skater

- Uninvolved defensively and on the forecheck with little physicality

Yeah but we lacked offense on the wings. Tocc should be able to manage one 1 way player in the top 6. Part of the reason Mikeyev and the PP fell off was bc Kuz left 

12 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Skinner is worse defensively than Kuzmenko.  Hard pass...

We need goals. Not everyone has to be a Selke wizard 

But i agree that something was too flawed about Kuz

Edited by Blue

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

It's good to remember we are a tier 2 destination for a lot of guys like this. 

Most fanbases want to believe they're a top destination, and as far as Canada goes we're definitely up there

But I reckon most guys would rather play for upper tier American teams, and realistically we still have quite a bit to prove, yeah we bounced back and had an impressive playoff run but it was still one season 

Put together a few playoff seasons in a row and I think more players will be convinced

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Kuzmenko provided goals...

At one point you said that Panarin or Kiprasov was as bad as Kuz defensively too. 

We have to bend the rules for a one way scoring player 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Blue said:

Yeah but we lacked offense on the wings. Tocc should be able to manage one 1 way player in the top 6. Part of the reason Mikeyev and the PP fell off was bc Kuz left 

I get the offensive production perspective...personally I just I don't think Skinner is the right fit is all.

IMO - to small, not fast enough and doesn't forecheck. He seems to go through bouts of inconsistency in his play. 

When he's motivated he can fill the net and put up points, when he's not motivated he seems like a liability. 

I'm not sure if Toffoli is the right fit either but at least he's a little quicker, plays more physical and forechecks. Also capable of filling the net.

Toff gives you his all and is a great team player, not sure if the same can be said about Skinner.  

Edited by Blitz-Pix