[Buyout] Jeff Skinner

4 minutes ago, WiDeN said:

Garland and Skinner would make a hell of a 3rd line. 

It will only cost us almost 9mil for those two alone. We really should stop overpaying 3rd pair D and bottom 6 forwards. And actually get Hughes/Hronek and Pettersson some help. I get he's making 11.6mil, but every 10+mil player is playing with at least one other really highly paid player. Matthews has Marner/Nylander, MacKinnon has Rantanen, McDavid has Draisaitl (on occasion, but McDavid is a bit of an outlier as he's the single greatest scoring talent he league's ever seen. He could score goals with me on his line), Kucherov has Point and Stamkos. Petey has Hoglander? Lol. Not quite on the level of other players.

2 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Stop trying to stick garland in the top 6. His play style fit neither miller or ep. Those lines literally did nothing when garland was playing there. Garland plays and holds on to the puck so he can play along the board and that takes away the puck from miller ep and Hughes that’s why it never worked and it never will. He works great on the 3rd line coz there’s no one to fight him for the puck

I'm not, I said between adding Skinner and promoting Garland. I'd rather promote Garland. I really can't have 3 different discussions. Lol. Especially if people are just gonna put words in my mouth.

Skinner and Toffoli to round up our top 6 for 9M ? 
we need some speed somewhere, and our only speedster can't buy a goal and is stuck on the 2nd gear. 

Edited by DexM94

1 minute ago, DexM94 said:

Skinner and Toffoli to round up our top 6 for 9M ? 
we need some speed somewhere, and our only speedster can't buy a goal and is stuck on the 2nd gear. 

Skinner and Toffoli aren’t your guys if you wanna add speed.

I would be surprised if we added Toffoli. Not what we need and I don’t think he’d come back.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2
  • ThereItIs 1

11 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

I'm not, I said between adding Skinner and promoting Garland. I'd rather promote Garland. I really can't have 3 different discussions. Lol. Especially if people are just gonna put words in my mouth.

Promoting garland = putting him in the top 6 no? So aka take the puck away from ep miller Hughes etc like he did? Notice when ep played with garland early in the season garland barely got any points even though ep was lighting it up while garland struggled? He barely used garland because he knows once he gives him the puck he ain’t getting it back 

17 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Skinner and Toffoli aren’t your guys if you wanna add speed.

I would be surprised if we added Toffoli. Not what we need and I don’t think he’d come back.

Not sure Toffoli the right fit for us..... but on a team friendly 1 year contract, I'd bring him back under $4 million

I think he gets more $$$ and term than that on July 1st though. Maybe he wants a shot at a Cup?

Taking a discount on a contender might appeal to him...then again, maybe not. LOL

He scored 34 goals and 73 point 2 seasons ago.

He scored 33 goals 55 points last season.

He's not the perfect linemate for Petey but it doesn't break the bank either. Nice stop gap till next TDL or Lekkermaki is ready.

He feels like he can play up and down the lineup as well. 

I just worry about his speed is all. Not many perfect top 6 players out there for under $5 million though.

Edited by Blitz-Pix

14 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Promoting garland = putting him in the top 6 no? So aka take the puck away from ep miller Hughes etc like he did? Notice when ep played with garland early in the season garland barely got any points even though ep was lighting it up while garland struggled? He barely used garland because he knows once he gives him the puck he ain’t getting it back 

Yes, but I used him as an example to show how dumb it is to add Skinner. Garland is better than Skinner in every regard for this team. He can play Tocchets system. Skinner can't.

3 minutes ago, Bobby James said:

yeah I'd go for skinner as a top 6 winger add. 1 year deal for like 4/5 million should be fair and enticing. 

See if he and Petey can gel or he'll play wing with Miller and Boes. 

I think he'll be much cheaper than 4 or 5 mill

He'll get 2/3 of his $9 mill salary in buyout. 

I think he'll want to play with a guy like EP40 so that might be enticing to get him here. 

$2.5 to $3  mill 1 year show me deal might get it done.. 

8 minutes ago, Bobby James said:

yeah I'd go for skinner as a top 6 winger add. 1 year deal for like 4/5 million should be fair and enticing. 

See if he and Petey can gel or he'll play wing with Miller and Boes. 

That’s the thing, if we’re not gonna find a long term solution to the top 6 this offseason make a couple short term 1 year bets.

Worst thing we could do is overpay and give guys like Debrusk or Zucker 3-4 years. That doesn’t move the needle enough and we’re likely to get stuck with more bad money.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Skinner is a bit of a gamble even post buy out at a discount.

I believe the report on Skinner is he plays in away that isn't easy for everyone.

Eichel had enough of it after they had some success early. But he plays in a way that doesn't mesh with everyone is my understanding and his line mates have to adjust to him

If it was a super short term or cheap deal I wouldn't be against it though and EX sabres seem to be good luck cup charms

19 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

That’s the thing, if we’re not gonna find a long term solution to the top 6 this offseason make a couple short term 1 year bets.

Worst thing we could do is overpay and give guys like Debrusk or Zucker 3-4 years. That doesn’t move the needle enough and we’re likely to get stuck with more bad money.

100% that would be my nightmare overpaying the middle tier of UFA top 6 options

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Blitz-Pix said:

Not sure Toffoli the right fit for us..... but on a team friendly 1 year contract, I'd bring him back under $4 million

I think he gets more $$$ and term than that on July 1st though. Maybe he wants a shot at a Cup?

Taking a discount on a contender might appeal to him...then again, maybe not. LOL

He scored 34 goals and 73 point 2 seasons ago.

He scored 33 goals 55 points last season.

He's not the perfect linemate for Petey but it doesn't break the bank either. Nice stop gap till next TDL or Lekkermaki is ready.

He feels like he can play up and down the lineup as well. 

I just worry about his speed is all. Not many perfect top 6 players out there for under $5 million though.

Well he has been and is a great lineman for Petey.

They just have to have a burner on the other wing. Someone like Mikheyev lol as funny as that sounds. But seriously they do need a strong forechecker that has speed on their wing 

I dont know if Hoglander-Petey-Toffoli works though

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Well he has been and is a great lineman for Petey.

They just have to have a burner on the other wing. Someone like Mikheyev lol as funny as that sounds. But seriously they do need a strong forechecker that has speed on their wing 

I dont know if Hoglander-Petey-Toffoli works though

Agreed...IMO someone with a little more size as well, to retrieve pucks, is physical and works well in the corners and along the wall.

Funny as it may sound....someone like Dakota Joshua. 

Edited by Blitz-Pix

4 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

Agreed...IMO someone with a little more size as well, to retrieve pucks, is physical and works well in the corners and along the wall.

Funny as it may sound....someone like Dakota Joshua. 

I was disappointed  we never got a real look at Dak in the top 6 or on PP1 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, R3aL said:

My dream line mate for Petey would be Alex Tuch... Big, Fast, Physical and puts up points. 

He also plays for Buffalo which means you could pretty much pencil us in for the Stanley Cup. LOL 

2 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Yes, but I used him as an example to show how dumb it is to add Skinner. Garland is better than Skinner in every regard for this team. He can play Tocchets system. Skinner can't.

Sure but the thing is tocchet needs to adapt. It can’t always be if you can’t play my style you gtfo I don’t want you on the team. If he has a drysaddle on the team would he ship him out for 2 garlands because he doesn’t play defence? He wants to play his style of hockey that’s fine you can have 3 lines doing that and then have a line given a little more freedom and creativity. As long as they outscore their opponent.. let them play their game.. he’s overly obsess with the tocchet style and would happily have a team with 12 grinder for forwards and keep the game 0-0 

Listening to Marek show and BUF reporter labelled Skinner as “soft skill”.

Very appropriate label, imho. 
I’m not sure we need another player like that. Very Kuzmenko like, but a downgrade even. Hard to coach. Also labelled as “a bit of a freelancer”. Even for the right price for goals, I’m not sure he’s a proper addition in a RT coached environment

2 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Listening to Marek show and BUF reporter labelled Skinner as “soft skill”.

Very appropriate label, imho. 
I’m not sure we need another player like that. Very Kuzmenko like, but a downgrade even. Hard to coach. Also labelled as “a bit of a freelancer”. Even for the right price for goals, I’m not sure he’s a proper addition in a RT coached environment

Agreed, it would have to be a deal that doesn't pay for that risk...one year, $1.75M show me deal or something. He'll get more elsewhere so very unlikely he is on the Canucks next season

• Cheers 1

It's funny how Buffalo needs help in the top 6 and are contemplating buying out Skinner, or at the very least want to trade him. We need help in the top 6 and are like "Skinner is our answer." I dunno. I said all I need to about how I feel about this. We'll see what happens. After stone for hands Mikheyev, I think we are just desperate to add anyone who can score. Even if the entire rest of what they bring is non existent, terrible, and/or clashes entirely with what the coaching staff is trying to build. I am sure Miller will love watching Skinner float around defensively and chase down zero 50/50 pucks on the forecheck.

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

It's funny how Buffalo needs help in the top 6 and are contemplating buying out Skinner, or at the very least want to trade him. We need help in the top 6 and are like "Skinner is our answer." I dunno. I said all I need to about how I feel about this. We'll see what happens. After stone for hands Mikheyev, I think we are just desperate to add anyone who can score. Even if the entire rest of what they bring is non existent, terrible, and/or clashes entirely with what the coaching staff is trying to build. I am sure Miller will love watching Skinner float around defensively and chase down zero 50/50 pucks on the forecheck.

in summary:

image.gif.d271ce95b0b8e37441f5b2eb76b9c07c.gif

• ThereItIs 1

On 6/26/2024 at 2:20 PM, R3aL said:

Maybe Dak is the linemate Petey needs, but he would still need a talented finisher on his other wing. That was the whole Mik issue with Petey, the dude couldn't finish a chance even when served up on a silver platter. 

• Cheers 1