[Waivers] Barclay Goodrow

Just now, HarbularyBattery said:

Jim benning would offer him the 3x3 "good locker room guy special"

Honestly, at a lower cap hit he'd still probably be a good get for someone, he's just not worth 3.6M to a Rangers team that needs to find some cap space. 

Odds are he goes unclaimed and they either buy him out or pay to flip him. 

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Honestly, at a lower cap hit he'd still probably be a good get for someone, he's just not worth 3.6M to a Rangers team that needs to find some cap space. 

Odds are he goes unclaimed and they either buy him out or pay to flip him. 

1.5m is the max for a high end 4th liner imo. Hes a very good penalty killer

• Like 1

A fine 4th line player at $1-2 million x 1 year contract.

Heck, if they give us Trouba at 50% retained I would consider taking Goodrows’s entire cap hit.

Bringing in a top four D in trade sure puts some pressure on the Hronek/Zadorov negotiations.  If they want to sign here but are holding out for better deals then this is a message we are prepared to move on.

Leverage and pressure points were something Benning never seemed to get.  It was an always an extra million, and extra year, and extra draft pick thrown in on a trade because he had backed himself into corners without other options. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Provost said:

Heck, if they give us Trouba at 50% retained I would consider taking Goodrows’s entire cap hit.

Bringing in a top four D in trade sure puts some pressure on the Hronek/Zadorov negotiations.  If they want to sign here but are holding out for better deals then this is a message we are prepared to move on.

Leverage and pressure points were something Benning never seemed to get.  It was an always an extra million, and extra year, and extra draft pick thrown in on a trade because he had backed himself into corners without other options. 

at least he brought in an elite top-6 forward talent like loui eriksson!

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Provost said:

While I doubt 50% would happen, those are definitely the kinds of deals they should be looking for imo.  Of course they'd have to be adding sweeteners to that

21 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

1.5m is the max for a high end 4th liner imo. Hes a very good penalty killer

He'd be a good fourth liner at that price. Good size, lot of playoff experience, couple of cup rings with Tampa, hits a decent amount. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, stawns said:

While I doubt 50% would happen, those are definitely the kinds of deals they should be looking for imo.  Of course they'd have to be adding sweeteners to that

Probably not… though that is a long cap liability to take on the full freight of Goodrow for a shorter term retention on Trouba.  It is pretty even in terms of cap efficiencies.  We would be getting Trouba at about $2 million a year under market rate and overpaying Goodrow by a million, but for a year longer.

If we threw in Hoglander that gives the Rangers a whole lot of cap relief and and efficient contract in their top nine.  That lets them make some moves to fill

some holes.

Gooodrow probably slots into our 3rd line with Suter and Garland 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Provost said:

Probably not… though that is a long cap liability to take on the full freight of Goodrow for a shorter term retention on Trouba.  It is pretty even in terms of cap efficiencies.  We would be getting Trouba at about $2 million a year under market rate and overpaying Goodrow by a million, but for a year longer.

If we threw in Hoglander that gives the Rangers a whole lot of cap relief and and efficient contract in their top nine.  That lets them make some moves to fill

some holes.

Gooodrow probably slots into our 3rd line with Suter and Garland 

My NYR proposal was

Trouba, Kakko, othmann/sykora and a pick

For

Hronek and Mikhaev.

If you used Goodrow in there and retention on trouba maybe

Trouba (retained), Goodrow, othmann, sykora and their 1st.

Hronek and mik 

I know +/- isn't vogue anymore, but being a -13 on a 55 win team is kinda nutty. Lol. Bonino and Goodrow really were quite bad for the Rags. 3 more years making 3.6mil. Yikes. Even at 50% I'd stay away. We gotta start pinching pennies, best way to do that is not overspend on the bottom 6. Could see Chicago maybe biting. With small retention, and they get a draft pick. For a quality vet with term who can give them, hopefully, quality PK time.

• Cheers 1

Based on his past play before the Rangers, if they’d retain I’d absolutely be open to him on our 4th line. They would need to retain half or it shouldn’t even be considered. If they go the buyout route I’d love a 1 or 2 year reclamation project deal for him. 

I like Barclay Goodrow...but not at that price for another 3 seasons.

He would definitely help our PK, is a strong faceoff guy, and good character dude. If NYR was willing to retain or NYR could find a third party to retain some of the money, I'd be interested in taking on Goodrow but not the full freight of it.

This is why you don't overpay for bottom six guys or bottom pairing dman. Which is why we have to walk away from Dakota Joshua and Nikita Zadorov. Spend the money on difference makers.

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Rangers thanking their lucky stars

That is entirely senseless!

It isn’t the flat cap era, but there are a ton of teams still wanting to move players with cap hits that they don’t love.

San Jose could have waited 3 hours and then gotten the player and at least a mid round pick as a sweetener.

I wonder if we see Mikheyev and a bunch of veterans on waivers now with GMs hoping for the same charity.

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Rangers thanking their lucky stars

Wow.  Let's waive Mikheyev for shits and giggles... maybe he can end up back to the place he started his NHL career too!  lol

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Provost said:

That is entirely senseless!

It isn’t the flat cap era, but there are a ton of teams still wanting to move players with cap hits that they don’t love.

San Jose could have waited 3 hours and then gotten the player and at least a mid round pick as a sweetener.

I wonder if we see Mikheyev and a bunch of veterans on waivers now with GMs hoping for the same charity.

Maybe not, Goodrow has a 15-team NTC and the Sharks were probably on it. I'm assuming this is an end result Goodrow probably didn't want, but the Rags needed the space so they made it happen with San Jose.

Sharks get a serviceable player they're familiar with for free, given their whack of cap space they probably don't care about him being overpaid as much. 

Bringing back a former fan favourite is one way to garner favour from a fanbase that just watched a season of miserable hockey. 

Edited by Coconuts