[Signing] Canucks Re-Sign Filip Hronek (8 years x $7.25 Million)

3 minutes ago, bh90 said:

i'd rather invest in high-end talent and dumpster dive for cheap effective 3rd and 4th lines throughout the season than have an average line up from top to bottom.

thats not the choice though

Zadorov has been a 3rd pair defenseman for most of his career, and people here want to pay him like a #3 defenseman, and give him a big overpayment for a great playoff run. I think thats silly. 

You can put in a guy like Dillon whose unlikely to cost more than 3m/year, who also has been reliably playing top-4 minutes and is mean and nasty like Zadorov. 

That leaves you with money to put someone really good in the 3C spot, so we have our depth sorted. The top heavy teams (2 good lines, cheapo bottom 2 lines) dont make it very far, and get beat to shit by teams like Florida that have great players all through their top 9

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Yeah, I think that is the structure PA/JR are building.  A top pair, and 2 pairs that play around the same minutes.

Im curious if when everything is said and done if juulsen will be 6 or 7 on the depth chart

• Like 1

Just now, R3aL said:

Im curious if when everything is said and done if juulsen will be 6 or 7 on the depth chart

I think ideally 7th.  Means we have depth.  I trust Gonchar and Foote on who they think is ready for more minutes though. 

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, HarbularyBattery said:

thats not the choice though

Zadorov has been a 3rd pair defenseman for most of his career, and people here want to pay him like a #3 defenseman, and give him a big overpayment for a great playoff run. I think thats silly. 

You can put in a guy like Dillon whose unlikely to cost more than 3m/year, who also has been reliably playing top-4 minutes and is mean and nasty like Zadorov. 

That leaves you with money to put someone really good in the 3C spot, so we have our depth sorted. The top heavy teams (2 good lines, cheapo bottom 2 lines) dont make it very far, and get beat to shit by teams like Florida that have great players all through their top 9

i think the arguement posters are making here though is that they envision big Z being able to sustain his playoff play regularly and become a #3 or #3B defenseman.

i don't think anyone is arguing that he's been a #3 historically but, that he can continue to elevate his game especially with this coaching group.

i think that's a fair arguement and if PA/JR feel Zadorov can be a staple on the back-end than i'll support it. But i feel confident PA/JR won't give him 5M+ if they see him as a #4-5 D

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bh90 said:

if PA is doing a press conference today than chances are there won't be any more imminent news

The cup will be presented tonight. He's not going to try to up stage that. 

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, Wing said:

I know someone pointed this out already, but I just have to say again Frank Seravalli  GUARANTEED the AVV starts with a 8. What a moron. 

This is a long contract, but being able to keep it just a bit above 7M AVV for a player this age. I hope they can also resign Zadorov to a reasonable contract. That would be a big win.

He was partially right. 8 years 🙂

JPat again asking PA about Hronek injury. 

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

I think ideally 7th.  Means we have depth.  I trust Gonchar and Foote on who they think is ready for more minutes though. 

I say they’ll prioritize a top six winger. (JG seems like the target) Then as the dust settles we will sign some depth D for internal competition.  That would put Juulsen  in a position to earn the 6th spot or remain in 7th if he’s still not ready for it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bh90 said:

i think the arguement posters are making here though is that they envision big Z being able to sustain his playoff play regularly and become a #3 or #3B defenseman.

i don't think anyone is arguing that he's been a #3 historically but, that he can continue to elevate his game especially with this coaching group.

i think that's a fair arguement and if PA/JR feel Zadorov can be a staple on the back-end than i'll support it. But i feel confident PA/JR won't give him 5M+ if they see him as a #4-5 D

i dont think its a fair argument at all, we do this literally every time a player goes on a unique run that theyve never been on before. Its extremely rare that it gets sustained. Especially on the offensive side - look at the goals Zadorov scored, most of them were terrible angle shots that the goalie should have had. 

More often than not, players regress to the average of what they've been over a number of years, rarely do they sustain what they did for 2 months. We made this gamble on Mikheyev as just the latest example. 

I loved watching big Z in the playoffs, but personally, id rather give the 2m in savings to get a Lindholm-Lite 3C who can give us that strength down the middle. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Snoop Hogg said:

8 more years of stellar first halves of seasons and declining production and play down the stretch.

If it means we keep getting a chance at the cup I'm all for it.

Good AAV and length considering his age. I hate NMCs being given to a non-core player and the NTC period is way too many teams. The contract is effectively buyout proof which gives me Louie Eriksson PTSD. 

7 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

i dont think its a fair argument at all, we do this literally every time a player goes on a unique run that theyve never been on before. Its extremely rare that it gets sustained. Especially on the offensive side - look at the goals Zadorov scored, most of them were terrible angle shots that the goalie should have had. 

More often than not, players regress to the average of what they've been over a number of years, rarely do they sustain what they did for 2 months. We made this gamble on Mikheyev as just the latest example. 

I loved watching big Z in the playoffs, but personally, id rather give the 2m in savings to get a Lindholm-Lite 3C who can give us that strength down the middle. 

and that's a fair arguement

guess only time will tell who was right or wrong

i'm of the camp that 5M'ish for Zadorov is a good deal. Cap is going up and i think he brings a lot to the dressing room

• Like 3