[Signing] Canucks Re-Sign Filip Hronek (8 years x $7.25 Million)

Just now, flickyoursedin said:

Well we’ll see in a couple years what we gave up. It might be nothing like you say or it might leave us looking back and wishing we never gave away Gustav Forsling who would you say is a bustaroo?

One of the prospects is already a bustaroo. Snd the other guy can’t skate, is small, and refuses to play defensively even though he’s a D man. Like the Empties pointed out. Lindy came for free. 
And we dumperooed Cruise Missiles 5.5 for next season! That’s a huge win for us. Calgary got bent over. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

Something to do with that potentially being a "lockout year" if a new CBA isn't reached before then.

Signing bonuses are paid during lockouts. Salary is not. Therefore if there is a lockout and the entire season is missed Hronek makes nothing.

3 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Well we’ll see in a couple years what we gave up. It might be nothing like you say or it might leave us looking back and wishing we never gave away Gustav Forsling who would you say is a bustaroo?

Two other teams moved on from forsling after Van.  Not like he was showing anything to indicate he was going to be an NHL dman of this calibre.

• Cheers 3
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, Blue said:

Hronek is 4 years younger 

This is it! Says everything. Exactly why this needed to get done and why Hronek is so important to our blueline.

And just imagine if he had a more consistent second half, he would have been much higher in points. That will come. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

Something to do with that potentially being a "lockout year" if a new CBA isn't reached before then.

Just caught that myself Cheers!!

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

For defencemen is for clearing the puck out of the defensive zone. They are on their strong side to battle, keeping play to the outside allowing them to clear the puck up the boards instead of towards the middle (and not using a backhand).

I prefer dman to play their natural sides. D to D passes on the backhand not ideal.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That and (or) a Mik buyout. Trade Garlsnd and buyout Mik and that’s 8+ mil cleared. That’s pretty much the AAV (plus a bit) to get Geuntzel. 

A Mik buyout on top of OEL is too much. Better to retain a bit. I do think that money from Garland and Mik go to a top 6 winger and that DJ, Lindholm and Zads all walk. We sign Myers (3) and Dillon (3 years max) and promote a few bottom 6 from Abby. Can’t see them signing Zads for 5+ as much as I love what he brings.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

Two other teams moved on from forsling after Van.  Not like he was showing anything to indicate he was going to be an NHL dman of this calibre.

I remember Sat Shah was speaking highly of him before we moved on from him. Was impressed, but also I can't say anything on my end. Never had access to seeing him either.

Lol will Rocket Rick give up some of his coaching salary to help pay for big Z's contract as coaches money is not tied to cap hits... wonder if Canucks pay Rick 5 million per year and give Big Z the other 2 million.  Since Rick wanted big Z and Dakota back...

10 minutes ago, chris12345 said:

Signing bonuses are paid during lockouts. Salary is not. Therefore if there is a lockout and the entire season is missed Hronek makes nothing.

So likely the Canucks wanted that so they aren't possibly spending millions with no income that season.

8 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

A Mik buyout on top of OEL is too much. Better to retain a bit. I do think that money from Garland and Mik go to a top 6 winger and that DJ, Lindholm and Zads all walk. We sign Myers (3) and Dillon (3 years max) and promote a few bottom 6 from Abby. Can’t see them signing Zads for 5+ as much as I love what he brings.

Yup we will go for Geuntzel next. 

13 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Overpayment in my opinion. Gonna be really tough for him to live up to this one. 

That's the money you pay somebody that can at least carry their own pairing.

He played with Olli Maatta in Detroit, to a higher points per game average than the one he had with Hughes. 7.25mil for Hronek is fine. It was the 8mil range that was an overpayment. Even as Huggy's Robin the contract is fine. Like has been mentioned already, Makar's running mate makes 7.25mil and is comparable to Hronek. Albeit a fair bit older. Which makes this deal even better. He'll be roughly 35 when it expires, a little on the old side, but it'll also be movable as well should we need to dump him for cap. As someone who was fully ready to dump the guy, I like the contract.

Edited by JeremyCuddles
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2