[Signing] Canucks Re-Sign Filip Hronek (8 years x $7.25 Million)

18 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Overpayment in my opinion. Gonna be really tough for him to live up to this one. 

That's the money you pay somebody that can at least carry their own pairing.

He wasn’t really given the chance to ever carry his own pairing… and the way our D is set up, Hughes-Hronek tilt the ice for 24 minutes a night and the bottom 2 pairs crack skulls.  

Over 8 years that has a lot of time to change, but right now the formula is simple but effective.

• ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, Conscience said:

A lot of money for that sloppy d play and zero offense in the playoffs 

Are you actually a Canucks fan? Hronek just came off a massive season. He’s a friggin’ steal for that AAV. July 2025 he get over 9 per on the open market. 

• Sad 1
  • Cheers 2

Just now, Alflives said:

Are you actually a Canucks fan? Hronek just came off a massive season. He’s a friggin’ steal for that AAV. July 2025 he get over 9 per on the open market. 

I dont care about regular season, playoffs success is all that matters. Sorry im not a blind cheerleader 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

Nice resigning - term was probably a bit longer than I thought at 8Y but it seems to be the standard now - wondering if this double H combo may even split up at times next year since they are both mobile defence man - just to add another wrinkle to the roster. Perhaps, pair them with some of the bigger D especially in the stretch drive or playoffs. With this commitment of salary, the team will likely lose 2-3 of their remaining free agents - possibly money just to sign 1-2

Personally I would like them to try to work on the defense first as they really need to be able have structure at the back - in the last 5 years, this was the first year with some solid structure and you can obviously see the results. Whether it is resigning Myers / Zadorov / both or others - as long as the asking price is reasonable Canucks should take a long look at it. With regard to Big Z, the main question is if the Canucks can elevate him to the second pairing to warrant the  5.5M+.

Never boring in Canuckville - even in June 🙂

Edited by hockeyfan-observer
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Conscience said:

I dont care about regular season, playoffs success is all that matters. Sorry im not a blind cheerleader 

Clearly your opinion is that of another clubs fan. Hronek is a fabulous player. It’s a moran opinion to not like this contract. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Clearly your opinion is that of another clubs fan. Hronek is a fabulous player. It’s a moran opinion to not like this contract. 

Sure coming from you means nothing lol, you post a moranic opinion a minute

The big Z up next.....$5.25M/yr x 6 years IMO.  I don't think he signs for anything less than 6 years.

The real magic of this season happens with Mik being traded.  I think we're going to lose an important piece here to do that but it won't be Willander, EP-D, Lekkerimaki, or Raty.....all guys that, along with Silovs, are a lock for the big club on cheap contracts.  So it would have to be roster player and future picks given that we can't retain salary....Hogs or Garland.  Would hate to lose either of these guys to be honest, but if it's not them, it's Raty.

29 minutes ago, stawns said:

Two other teams moved on from forsling after Van.  Not like he was showing anything to indicate he was going to be an NHL dman of this calibre.

Absolutely right. After being drafted in 2014 he spent two years in the SHL, then three years bouncing between Chicago and the AHL, then traded to Carolina where he spent the year in the AHL before he was a waiver claim by Florida. It wasn't until the 21-22 season that he emerged as a top defenceman. So does anybody really think that he would have had any kind of opportunity to develop in Vancouver? 

• Cheers 1

I'm guessing that you're one of those "fans" that predicted that we would be lucky to get a wild card spot and we would be one and done if we made it.

We exceeded expectations of most media clowns and trolls, but now it is a failure because we didn't win the Cup in our first season contending. Typical troll bullcrap.

• Confused 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

I'm guessing that you're one of those "fans" that predicted that we would be lucky to get a wild card spot and we would be one and done if we made it.

We exceeded expectations of most media clowns and trolls, but now it is a failure because we didn't win the Cup in our first season contending. Typical troll bullcrap.

Trolling to think a contract is overpayment? Otay guess differing opinions not allowed here.

tell me what about his playoffs performance justified 7.25 million. 

1 minute ago, Conscience said:

Trolling to think a contract is overpayment? Otay guess differing opinions not allowed here.

He wasn’t paid for his playoff performance. I don’t think anyone is really. If you watched Allvins interview. He mentioned he has another level and the contract is based on his 8 year trajectory 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, DSVII said:

An underrated aspect of this deal is that you can look at Darnell Nurse and laugh even harder.

So you're saying $2 million more gets us into the Final?

Just now, Devron said:

He wasn’t paid for his playoff performance. I don’t think anyone is really. If you watched Allvins interview. He mentioned he has another level and the contract is based on his 8 year trajectory 

Ya lets hope so, was his first time in the playoffs and can be a learning experience, just dont want to be leafs west, with regular season heroes and disappearing acts when it matters.

hronek playoffs stats

13GP   1G    1A    -3

not the dman i would have prioritized 

Trolls ignore salient points and respew their narratives. Did you expect us to do better or not? We exceeded expectations therefore our team was better than the idiots predicted.

Again, what were your expectations before the season? I expect you refuse to answer and then respew your narrative.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Absolutely right. After being drafted in 2014 he spent two years in the SHL, then three years bouncing between Chicago and the AHL, then traded to Carolina where he spent the year in the AHL before he was a waiver claim by Florida. It wasn't until the 21-22 season that he emerged as a top defenceman. So does anybody really think that he would have had any kind of opportunity to develop in Vancouver? 

That doesn't fit the narrative of many here though

Ya lets hope so, was his first time in the playoffs and can be a learning experience, just dont want to be leafs west, with regular season heroes and disappearing acts when it matters.

hronek playoffs stats

13GP   1G    1A    -3

not the dman i would have prioritized 

It’s fair to have that fear anytime a big contract is handed out. That said 7 million is gonna look like 5 million in the next couple years, he’s young enough that the risk factor isn’t super high 

2 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

Trolls ignore salient points and respew their narratives. Did you expect us to do better or not? We exceeded expectations therefore our team was better than the idiots predicted.

Again, what were your expectations before the season? I expect you refuse to answer and then respew your narrative.

Predicted Top 3 in the pacific with vegas and oilers.

knew seattle overachieved and we underachieved before the coaching change. 

No idea what that has to do with Hronek contract???

Again, do you think his playoffs performance deserves 7.25 per?? Do tell