[Signing] Canucks Re-Sign Filip Hronek (8 years x $7.25 Million)

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:
2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Darnell Nurse would also have gotten what he made from the Oilers on the open market too.

I don’t know man I don’t think there are that many stupid GMs in the league. But ya maybe someone would of 

Just now, HarbularyBattery said:

even crazier, they've locked him up to a contract thats going to be paying him until hes Darnell Nursing Home

Brilliant joke.  However, they also have Bouchard on a great contract right now.  What he'll be getting after next season though will be interesting.  I'm not sure he can keep up the pace he's been setting if he went to a different team.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HarbularyBattery said:

even crazier, they've locked him up to a contract thats going to be paying him until hes Darnell Nursing Home

Sadly, he could very well be a Stanley Cup Champion 

• Sad 1

Just now, Foamys Ghost said:

Brilliant joke.  However, they also have Bouchard on a great contract right now.  What he'll be getting after next season though will be interesting.  I'm not sure he can keep up the pace he's been setting if he went to a different team.

They're gonna be fucked after next season though, Bouchard is going to get 10m++

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We knew it would be pricey to keep him, but I really think this was the right move. Hronek is now the Canucks #2 D-man. They have their core for the foreseeable future. 

It would have been great to have Hronek for less, but let's be honest, the market options would have been cheaper but worse. I remember watching Tanev rock the 2011 Cup final, but he's not the guy for this team at the price he'll command.

You get what you pay for......hopefully Hronek delivers now that he's got his payday.

3 hours ago, SilentSam said:

L or R hand really only matters on Face Offs,

D men, like Forwards , now “Roam” the game positionally ,.

I put more weight into hockeys systems where the game continues, and puck possession is a premium.

You wouldn’t rather have Dillon than Myers?

Yes possibly. We know Myers works in this system. Dillon we don't know.

Dillon is leap and bounds better and if he really is were not getting him for 3M

Also sure on the strong hand side but again Tocchet has gone on record he wants his D on their strong side 

• Like 1

This is almost exactly how i expected the contract to look. The full NMC for the first 4 years brings the cap hit down by a little. By the end of those 4 years, we should know what we have in Willander and we can move Hronek to fill other holes in the lineup if need be. With a NMC for 4 years, I felt the cap hit should have been about 7-7.25m which, for a top pair RHD, is great value.  Especially as the salary cap continues to rise...

• Cheers 2

48 minutes ago, DisgruntledNucksFan said:

This is gross … Hughes next contract going to be 15 mill per year at the rate we’re throwing money at everyone … we basically paid hronek the same as Hughes …..

I mean… No… this is way too ignorant of a post to give a realistic comment on. I won’t even try to get you to understand. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, stawns said:

After thinking deeper about this deal, I'm of two minds.

In a vacuum, I think this is a fair deal for both sides.  Hronek will be overpaid by around a million for the next season or two, but will likely be underpaid for a significant portion of it as his game progresses and the cap goes up.  In that context, I support this move.

If they make this move and have to sacrifice going for a big fish in fwd, like Guentzal, but sign Zadorov and Myers, I still support this deal as it pretty much restores the dcorp that was so effective this year.  It shows me they are being patient and not making desperate moves.

However, if they make this move, go for a big fish on fwd and aren't able to sign Zadorov, I think this was a poor move.  I think Zad is more valuable to the lineup than Hronek is and I think bringing back the d, as it was (minus Cole) is more important than making a desperate move up front.

Well thought out take. I’m going with my gut and we’ll resign Zadorov.

Like I predicted from the beginning

Hronek and Z signed

Lindholm and Joshua walk as teams will overpay for them 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, Conscience said:

Can i have your crystal ball? He was on a steady decline since the allstar break, thats a fact, anything else is speculation. 

Can I have your crystal ball that says he will not improve? Are you seriously making long term decisions based on less than half a season in which large part of the team struggled for whatever reason. Also, you made your opinion known. What is the point of staying and trying to force your opinion on everyone? Is that your guilty conscience speaking?

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, RomanPer said:

Can I have your crystal ball that says he will not improve? Are you seriously making long term decisions based on less than half a season in which large part of the team struggled for whatever reason. Also, you made your opinion known. What is the point of staying and trying to force your opinion on everyone? Is that your guilty conscience speaking?

Jake Gyllenhaal Reaction GIF

• Cheers 1

Slightly more than I wanted but if the cap goes up another 10M over the next 3 years and/or he is able to improve and have a better 2nd half of the season and playoffs then it doesn’t look bad at all. 

First big domino that needed to fall. Now we might begin to see things progress. 

1 hour ago, stawns said:

After thinking deeper about this deal, I'm of two minds.

In a vacuum, I think this is a fair deal for both sides.  Hronek will be overpaid by around a million for the next season or two, but will likely be underpaid for a significant portion of it as his game progresses and the cap goes up.  In that context, I support this move.

If they make this move and have to sacrifice going for a big fish in fwd, like Guentzal, but sign Zadorov and Myers, I still support this deal as it pretty much restores the dcorp that was so effective this year.  It shows me they are being patient and not making desperate moves.

However, if they make this move, go for a big fish on fwd and aren't able to sign Zadorov, I think this was a poor move.  I think Zad is more valuable to the lineup than Hronek is and I think bringing back the d, as it was (minus Cole) is more important than making a desperate move up front.

Yes exactly.....I'm not too worried about Zadorov as I think he wants to be here and the front office know the fans and the team want him here.  He's a great fit.  I think he's next in line and I'm expecting $5.25M/yr x 6-7 years.  Possibly $5.5M/yr.  Unless Myers signs for $2M/yr (underpaid), I suspect they will wait for the Zadorov contract and some certainty around Mikheyev before signing him.  

7 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

That 15 team NTC is perfect. Especially at that lesser per year. 

Exactly and by then, if Bettman gets his expansion wishes, that'll leave about 30 teams off the list. 🙃

• Haha 3