[Signing] Canucks Re-Sign Filip Hronek (8 years x $7.25 Million)

Happy with this signing. I have commented before that I would be happy to go to 7.2 x 8, would grudgingly go to 7.5 x 8, but would not go higher. But I did not think Hronek would sign. So I was pleasantly surprised.

The combined cost of Hughes and Hronek will be 15.1 million. That will be a good number for one of the best pairings in the league.

Hronek fills a big hole, but the Canucks management  still have a lot of work this summer.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

That is a great signing deal for both sides!!! If you compare it to the Nurse deal this is a slam dunk deal!!! 

Now let's focus on signing BIG Z to a new 5-6yr contract!!! 

• Like 1

Cap space with LTIR = 19.3

JG 9

silovs 1

Bluegger 1.75x 4

Myers 2.75x 3

Dillon 2.5x 3

= 3.3 left over 

Option 1

Duhaime 1.25

Brett Murray 750 one way x 2 yrs 

Danton Heinen 1 million x 2 yrs 

Option 2

The Necas trade 

To VAN

Necas 6.85x 3 yrs

rights to JG sign to 8x 8

+14.85

to CAR 

Podkolzin

Milkeyev 

Raty 

2026 1st

CAP diff= 9.1

silovs 1

Myers 2.75

Dillonn2.5 

Bluegger 1.75 

Duhaime 1.25

Brett Murray .750 

JG Petey Necas

Hogz Miller Brock 

Duhaime Bluegger Garland 

Murray Aman Suter 

PDG

Hughes Hronek 

Soucy Myers 

Dillon Juulsen 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

Cap space with LTIR = 19.3

JG 9

silovs 1

Bluegger 1.75x 4

Myers 2.75x 3

Dillon 2.5x 3

= 3.3 left over 

Option 1

Duhaime 1.25

Brett Murray 750 one way x 2 yrs 

Danton Heinen 1 million x 2 yrs 

Option 2

The Necas trade 

To VAN

Necas 6.85x 3 yrs

rights to JG sign to 8x 8

+14.85

to CAR 

Podkolzin

Milkeyev 

Raty 

2026 1st

CAP diff= 9.1

silovs 1

Myers 2.75

Dillonn2.5 

Bluegger 1.75 

Duhaime 1.25

Brett Murray .750 

JG Petey Necas

Hogz Miller Brock 

Duhaime Bluegger Garland 

Murray Aman Suter 

PDG

Hughes Hronek 

Soucy Myers 

Dillon Juulsen 

That 4th line is terrible,burn with fire

So happy for getting this deal done, was expecting he will get traded because of our limited cap space.

Love Hronek so much as I think he has lots of potential to become one of the better D in the league.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Stumbled across some initial reaction from us acquiring Fil. And oh boy

Screenshot_20230301_152726.thumb.jpg.48149f7925c1d83e80aeeeac1277630f.jpg

Screenshot_20230301_153145.thumb.jpg.c1ed0ca5ecf9b892574f8ab2c1a6121a.jpg

Screenshot_20230301_153224.thumb.jpg.6194ed46a5d9e271f76d5c250a377f83.jpg

Wow, that aged well.  And there's an emotional edge to it that cries out for explanation.  Don't see her joining Cammy and Emilie on the management side any time soon.

• Cheers 3

I think the move that makes the most sense now is to create cap space by moving Mik even if we need to retain a Mil. 

He was pretty useless this year and we were fine whether he was in the line up or not. 

I think PA's most crucial job will be to convince the other GMs that this was a rehab year for Mik and that he will bounce back next year and highlight his improved skating near the end of the playoffs. 

I would rather lose Mik and sign Z and have a guy like Podz fill Miks role than to lose Z. 

Also I don't know why we think we're not signing DJ... We had the best 3rd line in the league last year. It was a set and forget it line where we never hesitated to put them out there and they would gain momentum back or score a clutch goal. You don't walk away from that over a 1 mil difference. 

Cap space = 19.3 (including Poolman LTIR) 

Mik gone = - 3.75m (if we retain 1m)

Cap space= 23.05

Sign

Zads 5.3

Myers 2.75

Run with Juulsen at 6D

Re-sign DJ at 3.8m

Cap remaining 12.8m

Miller    Boeser 

Petey    Hogz 

Garland     Suter   Joshua 

Podz         Aman    PDG 

Hughes Hronek 

Zadorov Myers 

Soucy Juulsen 

Demko

Silovs

Do we go for Guentzel to play with Petey and sign another forward for the Miller line 

Or

Do we sign Guentzel to play with Petey and bring someone like Bleuger back and promote Suter back to first line? 

I think Lindholm is as good as gone. 

In another world though, what if you traded Petey, freed up another 11.6m (24.4m free) 

And then re-sign Lindholm to 7.25m, Guentzel to 9m and added another 8.15m player and bring Suter down to 3C where he showed chemistry with Garland and DJ the first half of last season. The assets coming back from a Petey trade could legitimately give us a shot at throwing it at a team like Ottawa for Brady T or even a straight across trade

Hogz Miller Boeser 

Tkachuk Lindholm Guentzel

Garland Suter Joshua 

Podz Aman PDG

Hughes Hronek 

Zadorov Juulsen 

Soucy Myers 

Demko

Silovs 

That's pretty sexy. 

Edited by CanucksJay
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Reveal hidden contents

Ngl, I partially understand the sentiment here. I love the trade on paper, even at that time I was wondering why Detroit made that deal. He was the perfect Robin to Seider. And now that the extension is done, 7.25 per is right around where I ideally wanted him. A 1st and a 2nd for 9 years of Hronek ain't too shabby. But again, I do understand the idea that we never at any point did a proper rebuild, cause we kept trading picks for older players or to remove overpaid players. So I can see people being upset there. But Hronek isn't 30+ years old or anything. He's a guy who has 6 years of prime hockey still, minimum barring injury. Including this past season where he helped us get into the playoffs. Now we just need to find a way to get Hronek on his own pair. I think he'll benefit not having to face the competition he does cause of Huggy.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

6 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

This is it! Says everything. Exactly why this needed to get done and why Hronek is so important to our blueline.

And just imagine if he had a more consistent second half, he would have been much higher in points. That will come. 

Maybe we should be 'kind of' satisfied it didn't come during the second half, as he have been far more expensive had that been the case. 
Maybe too expensive for us...?

6 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

Absolutely right. After being drafted in 2014 he spent two years in the SHL, then three years bouncing between Chicago and the AHL, then traded to Carolina where he spent the year in the AHL before he was a waiver claim by Florida. It wasn't until the 21-22 season that he emerged as a top defenceman. So does anybody really think that he would have had any kind of opportunity to develop in Vancouver? 

No GIF

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Hide contents

Shayna Goldman , thanks for playing the all new Wheel of Stupidity, you are todays winner.....well played champ!  🤪

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Ngl, I partially understand the sentiment here. I love the trade on paper, even at that time I was wondering why Detroit made that deal. He was the perfect Robin to Seider. And now that the extension is done, 7.25 per is right around where I ideally wanted him. A 1st and a 2nd for 9 years of Hronek ain't too shabby. But again, I do understand the idea that we never at any point did a proper rebuild, cause we kept trading picks for older players or to remove overpaid players. So I can see people being upset there. But Hronek isn't 30+ years old or anything. He's a guy who has 6 years of prime hockey still, minimum barring injury. Including this past season where he helped us get into the playoffs. Now we just need to find a way to get Hronek on his own pair. I think he'll benefit not having to face the competition he does cause of Huggy.

Its interesting - much to your point here - I saw a Drance tweet today calling the trade "counter-intuitive". And I don't agree.

I think the reason Drance called it that, and the reason Shayna (who I do like fwiw) was so harsh on the deal, is that people were stuck in the Benning era. Their minds were warped by it & couldn't get out of it. As that season transpired, and the Horvat trade was made, everyone was saying it was time to rebuild. Tear it down. But what I never understood was these people would say that, while also praising how great Hughes/Pettersson/Demko were & how they were the only worthwhile players to build around. As if these 2 positions could be reconciled. Its like they believed these players would be frozen in time for 5 years or something. 

Pettersson was a 100 point player, Hughes had a fantastic season establishing himself as a top 10 D, Demko was coming off a Vezina caliber play the year prior. These are the type of assets you tank for a decade to have the opportunity to draft, so did it make sense to just flush that in the hopes we could have another version of them 5-7 years from now? Or try to build around them like Ruthervin ultimately did successfully. Adding a 25 year old D that was right in their age range made sense if the plan was the latter, the only issue I ever had was if Hronek was really that good - I just hadn't watched him enough to know. From a team building perspective it made sense if he actually was good, and it turned out that way.

Not putting those opinions on you btw, sorry if it comes across that way. Just venting why I never thought that view made total sense. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Devron said:

Well thought out take. I’m going with my gut and we’ll resign Zadorov.

Like I predicted from the beginning

Hronek and Z signed

Lindholm and Joshua walk as teams will overpay for them 

Yup, agree with both of you on Z and also saw the defenders as priority. 

For the forward group they've got a better chance and possibly a need to create roster spots to promote from within. Karlsson, Podz, Raty, and Bains are knocking on the door. Aman I consider NHL regular at this point. 

I also think they are working hard on trading either Mikheyev or Garland. 

Edit: I know PA mentioned Cole McWard in his Hronek media call as a depth option for next season and I'm not convinced he genuinely believes that. To me that sounds more like a GM that's just had the lack of depth on d in the organization pointed out to them by a certain Mr. Goldstein. It's likely I'm reading way too far into it. 

Edited by DeltaSwede
  • Cheers 2

4 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Hide contents

it's important to remember that hockey analysts are, on the whole, idiots, and their opinions worthless.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

One down.   Came in right around where he should have on a full term deal (and a little less then analytics predicted, which seemed high 7.4).    This was a risk that the team had to take.    A bird in hand.   Worst case he's QHs long term partner,  best case he's going to anchor our second pairing, and can produce 30-35 EV points while doing so. 

Next Zadarov.    Pretty please!  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

4 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

There's not much difference between this trade, the Gudbranson trade, and even the JT Miller trade (with the exception Miller came with a brand new contract).   Some work out, some don't. 

6 hours ago, JamesB said:

Happy with this signing. I have commented before that I would be happy to go to 7.2 x 8, would grudgingly go to 7.5 x 8, but would not go higher. But I did not think Hronek would sign. So I was pleasantly surprised.

The combined cost of Hughes and Hronek will be 15.1 million. That will be a good number for one of the best pairings in the league.

Hronek fills a big hole, but the Canucks management  still have a lot of work this summer.

Was pretty vocal that 8 x 8 was nuts.   And that a fair price was in the 7.2 range.   That was a fair deal, good for Hronek and good for the team.     One down, a lot more to go.   Zadarov next.    QHs, Soucy, Zadarov is a solid left side, and we need to keep that size to balance things out.

Also good call, wasn't sure he wanted to be here either.    Goes to show what you see from media isn't at all what you get.   Miller looked a bit peeved at the media too, then signed his 7 year deal.     And was all over the rumour mills during that time.   Hronek instead of Horvat, is really how to look at this.   He's cheaper, younger,  and has shown flashes as a top pairing RHD, that's harder to find (we certainly didn't draft one). 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, spook007 said:

Gotta get to the play off first as well...

Yes.   Team took that first step this season.    They know what it's going to take.   They also were awfully close to the conference final, without their star goalie.    Demko playing 50 games looks like his stable workload.    That means, making the playoffs, got a little bit harder.     Guys like QHs, Hronek and EP,  all did their parts last regular season.    Team needs a bit more help from Allvin,  he said as much,  expect to see something big this summer.   Either a blockbuster trade or signing (and trades to make that work).  

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

I think the move that makes the most sense now is to create cap space by moving Mik even if we need to retain a Mil. 

He was pretty useless this year and we were fine whether he was in the line up or not. 

I think PA's most crucial job will be to convince the other GMs that this was a rehab year for Mik and that he will bounce back next year and highlight his improved skating near the end of the playoffs. 

I would rather lose Mik and sign Z and have a guy like Podz fill Miks role than to lose Z. 

Also I don't know why we think we're not signing DJ... We had the best 3rd line in the league last year. It was a set and forget it line where we never hesitated to put them out there and they would gain momentum back or score a clutch goal. You don't walk away from that over a 1 mil difference. 

Cap space = 19.3 (including Poolman LTIR) 

Mik gone = - 3.75m (if we retain 1m)

Cap space= 23.05

Sign

Zads 5.3

Myers 2.75

Run with Juulsen at 6D

Re-sign DJ at 3.8m

Cap remaining 12.8m

Miller    Boeser 

Petey    Hogz 

Garland     Suter   Joshua 

Podz         Aman    PDG 

Hughes Hronek 

Zadorov Myers 

Soucy Juulsen 

Demko

Silovs

Do we go for Guentzel to play with Petey and sign another forward for the Miller line 

Or

Do we sign Guentzel to play with Petey and bring someone like Bleuger back and promote Suter back to first line? 

I think Lindholm is as good as gone. 

In another world though, what if you traded Petey, freed up another 11.6m (24.4m free) 

And then re-sign Lindholm to 7.25m, Guentzel to 9m and added another 8.15m player and bring Suter down to 3C where he showed chemistry with Garland and DJ the first half of last season. The assets coming back from a Petey trade could legitimately give us a shot at throwing it at a team like Ottawa for Brady T or even a straight across trade

Hogz Miller Boeser 

Tkachuk Lindholm Guentzel

Garland Suter Joshua 

Podz Aman PDG

Hughes Hronek 

Zadorov Juulsen 

Soucy Myers 

Demko

Silovs 

That's pretty sexy. 

As much as I still have high hopes for EP,   have to agree that's a pretty sexy lineup.  QHs is the stick that stirs the drink.    Brady T, it would take EP to pry him out of OTT.   Not sure they'd do that deal, it would be a tough decision for both sides.    He's a rare player in today's game, 350-400 hits and about the same in shots.    A fantasy hockey dream, because he also gets his points.     That would be a seriously tough forward group to deal with.    I'd go for it if it was that simple.