[Signing] Canucks Re-Sign Filip Hronek (8 years x $7.25 Million)

6 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

This was such a smart move to lock up our top pair. Especially after they proved what they're capable of together to be one of the league's top duos. Both are about to hit their prime together. 

What they did together as a pair will only get even better for us. Day one of the Hronek trade ushered in a new era of talent. An era we were all wanting and waiting for after years of patience. 

He's being used differently here than in Detroit. He has different dimensions to his game that we haven't seen. Tocchet made mention of how he wants to focus on shot quality and precision this coming season. Hronek's shot is a huge weapon at their disposal. Especially from the half-wall. He was deadly in Detroit in that area.

We are fortunate to have this management team. They're shining a huge spotlight on the bad decision-making that has plagued this organization for decades. 

Hronek will learn from this past season. Adversity is what makes champions. He wasn't satisfied with himself at all during the season ending presser and it showed. I'm glad he was pissed and frustrated. 

We finally have the young RHD that everyone wanted. He's here now. 

I agree whole heartedly,.

add to this how they are building up from the foundation at the same time.

Bringing the Farm Club closer to the big club geographically allows for sharing training / systems/ and Coaching ,.  Boys coming up now are well versed on the Big Clubs ways.

Smoother transitions like this accelerate development and potential.

Malhotra now with the Sedins,

and an hours drive away Tocchet with Foote and Gonchar .

We’ve jumped from a D grade to A grade in 2 years .

Rutherford and Alvin see this game and business like  Hockey Players ,

because they are too.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

What a great feeling it is to have trust in both coaching staff and management group. Now we need either a Top winger (JG) or 2 good ones (Tervainen+Debrusk), a left D, a 3LC (Blueger). I'm already counting Myers as a done deal. That left D should be a 3mil max.

Edited by Bonkers

3 hours ago, oregon.duck said:

Ngl, I love EP. But Tkachuk plus a few assets for Petey would give us better edge and size without losing a ton more scoring. 

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

JR knows the key players needed to win the Cup. He locked up Petey for that reason. Love to get BT but we wouldn’t trade Petey to do that. 

JR also acquired Lindholm knowing he'd be a key cog in the playoffs. 

My suggestion is merely to take a bit of a downgrade at centre so we can get 2 very good players instead of just Petey. 

Petey was injured so it's not fair to say it, but facts are, Lindholm completely outperformed Petey this playoffs. 

Here's a different way of looking at it. Which line would win the matchup during playoffs

Tkachuk Lindholm Guentzel 

Vs

Guentzel Petey Hogz 

With the amount Petey makes, we can only afford 1 star linemate whereas signing Lindholm for almost 4m less allows us to go after 2 stars. 

I think the Lindholm line would eat up Petey's line if they were matched up during playoffs

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

22 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I agree whole heartedly,.

add to this how they are building up from the foundation at the same time.

Bringing the Farm Club closer to the big club geographically allows for sharing training / systems/ and Coaching ,.  Boys coming up now are well versed on the Big Clubs ways.

Smoother transitions like this accelerate development and potential.

Malhotra now with the Sedins,

and an hours drive away Tocchet with Foote and Gonchar .

We’ve jumped from a D grade to A grade in 2 years .

Rutherford and Alvin see this game and business like  Hockey Players ,

because they are too.

It really is amazing to see. We all know that Rome wasn't built in a day but the first phases of this turnaround have been remarkably quick and so impressive. 

They're addressing all of the things people complained about in here for years - from forward depth, goaltending, defense, RHD, prospects, coaching, culture, training, preparation, fitness, mindset. They're giving people less and less to complain about. It's funny to see people searching for things to complain and be negative about. The Hronek deal upended a lot of that from the beginning and made us a lot better much quicker.

Also namely, like you say, the alignment with the farm, development, systems, coaching, etc. Their execution has been precise, efficient, and competent in all areas. And there's still work to be done.

And like you mention about our D getting better, with Hronek locked up long term, we can now look ahead to Willander on the blueline along with Hronek and Hughes. This is only going to get better. 

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

16 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Overpayment in my opinion. Gonna be really tough for him to live up to this one. 

That's the money you pay somebody that can at least carry their own pairing.

I don’t get where he can’t carry a pairing comes from you actually think Maatta was carrying him in Detroit? 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

It really is amazing to see. We all know that Aaron Rome wasn't built in a day but the first phases of this turnaround have been remarkably quick and so impressive. 

They're addressing all of the things people complained about in here for years - from forward depth, goaltending, defense, RHD, prospects, coaching, culture, training, preparation, fitness, mindset. They're giving people less and less to complain about. It's funny to see people searching for things to complain and be negative about. The Hronek deal upended a lot of that from the beginning and made us a lot better much quicker.

Also namely, like you say, the alignment with the farm, development, systems, coaching, etc. Their execution has been precise, efficient, and competent in all areas. And there's still work to be done.

And like you mention about our D getting better, with Hronek locked up long term, we can now look ahead to Willander on the blueline along with Hronek and Hughes. This is only going to get better. 

ftfy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I don’t get where he can’t carry a pairing comes from you actually think Maatta was carrying him in Detroit? 🤣

The "carry his own pairing" thing for some is a diversion to avoid admitting Hronek is good and makes us better. 

The real value is in Hughes and Hronek. Just like Makar and Toews.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

He wanted out last summer but there were no takers. IMHAO Allvin told Garland if he wants out that he needs to play better. Garland played a lot better. Hopefully that translates into us being g able to trade him for cap. 

He has confirmed he never asked or wanted out 

14 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

JR also acquired Lindholm knowing he'd be a key cog in the playoffs. 

My suggestion is merely to take a bit of a downgrade at centre so we can get 2 very good players instead of just Petey. 

Petey was injured so it's not fair to say it, but facts are, Lindholm completely outperformed Petey this playoffs. 

Here's a different way of looking at it. Which line would win the matchup during playoffs

Tkachuk Lindholm Guentzel 

Vs

Guentzel Petey Hogz 

With the amount Petey makes, we can only afford 1 star linemate whereas signing Lindholm for almost 4m less allows us to go after 2 stars. 

I think the Lindholm line would eat up Petey's line if they were matched up during playoffs

honestly, a lot of my own internal cap gymnastics I've been doing this offseason have revolved around moving petey and signing lindholm. 

the problem is it's only a $3m or so cap savings, which I'm not sure is enough to make the difference necessary in adding assets elsewhere. 

37 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

He was great. The guy isn't an asshole. He's just not a big talker and a man of few words. There may be some language issues as well as to why he keeps things short and to the point.

Appreciated his honesty. I also liked how he thanked each reporter. Little things like that are revealing. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

With Hronek signed, I hope they continue to build from the net out.  Silovs and to a lesser extent Myers seem like a given. Which would put Z next on the must sign list.

Do they run with Juulsen as the 3rd RHD? He showed massive improvements this season and could continue into a full time player as he didn't look too far off.  Woo and McWard have potential for the 7th spot but are they ready for the show?

I'd like to see us sign a true 3C shut down center which would free up Miller and Petey's lines to concentrate on offense.  We all witnessed the boost Malhotra gave the Sedins/Kesler when he arrived and we have a few wingers on the farm looking to break into the league.

It would give us a ton of flexibility, though I do agree if we move Mik to make room for JG we will be much more dangerous.

This feels just like the end of the 08-09 season when we saw that we weren't too far off, and with the right signings, can be right back to the Stanley Cup Finals and potentially, our first ever championship.

• Vintage 1

Watching Hronek's interview, I get his demeanor a lot more now. Not everyone enjoys having to field a host of banal, leading questions. He seems like a very introverted person and has a right to keep to himself.

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, tas said:

honestly, a lot of my own internal cap gymnastics I've been doing this offseason have revolved around moving petey and signing lindholm. 

the problem is it's only a $3m or so cap savings, which I'm not sure is enough to make the difference necessary in adding assets elsewhere. 

Yeah I think you need to offload Mik as well to actually do anything. 

I think Lindholm rejected the 7x7 offer because he didn't want to be a 3C in a checking role.

If you tell him signing at 7m means trading Petey and getting the 2C position to play with Tkachuk and Guentzel, I think he would sign. 

My cap math shows that trading Petey and Mik along with the Poolman LTIR actually leave us enough room to sign Z, Myers, DJ and sign/acquire 3 star players like Guentzel, Tkachuk and Lindholm 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Chickenspear said:

No need to rush a Silovs contract, we have a few UFA's of our own we need to work on before July 1st. Also, Silovs will be a UFA at the end of the 26-27 season. Would rather see a 2 year bridge deal to keep him under club control on expiry. Give him a 1-way deal @ $1m x 2. Seems fair for a young goaltender with not a lot of experience.

I get what your saying and that's definitely an option.

I guess my fear is signing Silvos to 1 or 2 year deal puts us in a horrible situation...Demko's contract expires in 26-27.

I don't want both our goaltenders expiring and becoming UFA's in the same year. Especially if they out perform there contracts. 

Demko's already out performing his ($5 million AAV) contract...and was a Vezina Finalist.

He'll be due a significant raise when his contract expires, he'll also be 30 Y/O and PROBABLY looking for 5-8 year deal.    

The Canucks went with Silvos over Desmith ($1.8 million AAV) in the playoffs... and Desmith has earned a raise. 

So why would we lowball Silvos at $1 million a season for 2 years and put ourselves in bad situation 2 years from now? 

I think Silvos should be on 3-4 year contract so there is some overlap in goaltender contracts and preferably somewhere around a $1.5 million AAV

I suspect Silvos will greatly outplay that contract once he's with the big club and working with Ian Clark daily. (I'm only speculating based on where is in his development). We need to think ahead and lock up our good young players at lower AAV's on medium length terms if we want to be competitive moving forward, IMO 

As I stated earlier, if we need to pivot and move on from Silvos at least he's young enough and on a team friendly contract that should be VERY easy to move.

Edited by Blitz-Pix

50 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

The "carry his own pairing" thing for some is a diversion to avoid admitting Hronek is good and makes us better. 

The real value is in Hughes and Hronek. Just like Makar and Toews.

Like Keith and Seabrook 

• Cheers 1

I think this is the first domino of what is going to be a wild 10 days.  I think Garland gets dealt, and those assets get used to dump Mikheyev.  That gives us 28 mill to play with.  While Garland was excellent last year, I think Allvin sees the value in size in our bottom 6, and wants to run a far better top 6.  close to 5 mill for a 3rd liner is too much in any case, unless the decide to slot him into the top 6.

28 mill gives us a lot of options, especially with Lekkerimaki, Bains, Kalsson, Raty either close or ready to make the jump.  I think we go hard after Guenzel, Tarasenko and Toffoli.