[Signing] Canucks Re-Sign Filip Hronek (8 years x $7.25 Million)

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

Great signing. Hughes - Hronek is the best pairing in the league. Now trade Garland (for cap space) sign Big Z and get Geuntzel. 

If we can get Zadarov well then i'd trade a lot of our current players. 

1 hour ago, tas said:

can you peek into that crystal ball and fetch me the lotto max numbers while you're at it?

Can you find the Spelling Bee that has the correct spelling for Geuntzal. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Can you find the Spelling Bee that has the correct spelling for Geuntzal. 

guentzel

just copy that to your clipboard and paste it evermore. 

Tidy bit of work done here. Once Willander arrives and adjusts to the NHL  I anticipate that Hronek will soon be our 3rd best D-man, and thinking about Quinn, Young Tom, and Hronek as our top 3 d-men is pretty damned exciting. 

Not enough talk about how well Tom Willander did in his first year at Boston U. 

Edited by Locke Lamora

9 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

Tidy bit of work done here. Once Willander arrives and adjusts to the NHL  I anticipate that Hronek will soon be our 3rd best D-man, and thinking about Quinn, Young Tom, and Hronek as our top 3 d-men is pretty damned exciting. 

Not enough talk about how well Tom Willander did in his first year at Boston U. 

I don't think the season warranted a ton of talk really. He was good, but wasn't outstanding or anything. Took him a lot of the season just to get a handle of the NA game. 

6 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

I don't think the season warranted a ton of talk really. He was good, but wasn't outstanding or anything. Took him a lot of the season just to get a handle of the NA game. 

Well, he's not really an offensive defenceman, and yet he got 25pts in 38gms and was +28. I'd say that's a really good season. But if outstanding is the bar, then I see your point.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Jester13 said:

Well, he's not really an offensive defenceman, and yet he got 25pts in 38gms and was +28. I'd say that's a really good season. But if outstanding is the bar, then I see your point.

If Willander is a solid top 4 RHD for Vancouver, we did well in drafting him.  I don't think we'll ever see him as an offensive defenceman.  He's more Brent Seabrook at the moment, which would be perfect for Quinn Hughes.  Will be interesting how he does this coming year as a 19yo.  If he ups his offensive game, I see Charlie Mcavoy in him.  Wouldn't that be something?

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, RJCF96 said:

I would actually prefer Hronek to keep shooting the puck even if other teams are attempting to block them. Especially in the playoffs, each block could mean one of their key defensive players is going to get bruised and eventually it will wear them down.

I would love our entire team to just shoot the puck.. bad shot goes in too. Statistically 1 out of 12 shot will end up in the net 

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

If Willander is a solid top 4 RHD for Vancouver, we did well in drafting him.  I don't think we'll ever see him as an offensive defenceman.  He's more Brent Seabrook at the moment, which would be perfect for Quinn Hughes.  Will be interesting how he does this coming year as a 19yo.  If he ups his offensive game, I see Charlie Mcavoy in him.  Wouldn't that be something?

Seabrook had more edge/ physicality to his game IMO...but I get what you mean.

I still think there's more offensive upside to Willander's game than what we've seen so far.

He'll get every opportunity to showcase it this season IMO   

10 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I definitely think there's much more offence in him, for two reasons: 1) He used to be a forward and then switched to defence, and 2) His mental game is off the charts compared to his peers - he has a drive to improve and win like Petey and Miller, but I'd say already with more maturity than both. I think he's a future assistant captain and top pairing RHDman. He'll be better than Hronek. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RWMc1 said:

At some point the players should all respond with the stock 110% one shift at a time type answers to the clowns who push negative narratives.

Or have them learn to speak in Tikkanese and only answer in Tikkanese to those clowns. :hurhur:

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I definitely think there's much more offence in him, for two reasons: 1) He used to be a forward and then switched to defence, and 2) His mental game is off the charts compared to his peers - he has a drive to improve and win like Petey and Miller, but I'd say already with more maturity than both. I think he's a future assistant captain and top pairing RHDman. He'll be better than Hronek. 

Yeah I saw his stats stacked up along side some high end nhl talent for comparable, he was very comparable to Charlie macavoys d +1 and makars d+1 …… not sure what ppl were expecting out of a 2 way defender but his draft +1 has me more than excited! 

• Cheers 2

34 minutes ago, HKSR said:

If TW develops into a Brent Seabrook, I'll be ecstatic... :classic_smile:

9 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

If TW develops into a Brent Seabrook, I'll be ecstatic... :classic_smile:

I'd be terrified, personally. where'd he get this shape-shifting technology?

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

The poster was saying it hasn't been talked about enough. But that's just not how I've seen it. He wasn't a world beater or anything. He was just good, and talked about as being a good first season.

“I’m really happy about it,” he said. “I’m happy I’m signed and I know where I’m going to be. I mean, I think we played really good, and we have a good core. The players are good, and it was a lot of fun. It was a fun year for me and I really enjoyed it. There was not much to think about to stay.”

Hronek said in a zoom call

Edited by Déjà Vu
  • MillerTime 1

49 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

Yeah I saw his stats stacked up along side some high end nhl talent for comparable, he was very comparable to Charlie macavoys d +1 and makars d+1 …… not sure what ppl were expecting out of a 2 way defender but his draft +1 has me more than excited! 

Makar had 21 points in 34 games and a +9 in his D+1 year. McAvoy had 26 points in 38 games and also a +9. Willander had 25 points in 38 games and a +28. 

So, Willander is pretty much at the same pace as both those guys. We will see what he does next season. If he breaks out to a PPG then he most likely signs with the Canucks in March/April and even plays some games for us. 

I don’t think we can determine yet his ceiling. He might be a 30 point two way guy in the NHL. Or he could be a 60 point guy. His elite skating will allow him the opportunity to be an elite point producer IMO. He used to be a forward so that might help him

to score more points. He could also double shift as Petey’s right winger too. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Makar had 21 points in 34 games and a +9 in his D+1 year. McAvoy had 26 points in 38 games and also a +9. Willander had 25 points in 38 games and a +28. 

So, Willander is pretty much at the same pace as both those guys. We will see what he does next season. If he breaks out to a PPG then he most likely signs with the Canucks in March/April and even plays some games for us. 

I don’t think we can determine yet his ceiling. He might be a 30 point two way guy in the NHL. Or he could be a 60 point guy. His elite skating will allow him the opportunity to be an elite point producer IMO. He used to be a forward so that might help him

to score more points. He could also double shift as Petey’s right winger too. 

Yeah I don't think we know his ceiling yet.  His floor is a 2nd pair RHD IMO. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yeah I don't think we know his ceiling yet.  His floor is a 2nd pair RHD IMO. 

With Hronek signed for 8 years, we will have Hughes, Hronek and Willander as our puck movers for our Stanley Cup run. Add Zadorov and D-Petey to that and we are pretty much set. Just have to sign Big Z to that 6 year extension. Maybe Soucy sticks around as a 6/7 guy as well after his contract is up. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson