[Signing] Canucks Re-Sign Filip Hronek (8 years x $7.25 Million)

It seems like the majority of Canucks fans like this deal but it’s wild that so many hate it. I know Hronek had a rough stretch late in the season, but seriously, someone name me RD the Canucks have had in the past 20 years besides him that can play top pair, Pk, and PP QB role. This fan base drives me nuts sometimes. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

certainly better than his year end presser LOL

looking forward to seeing him grow. at least he somewhat acknowledged the question that he needs to be able to perform at his best well into the playoff run, insinuating that he knew he wasn't playing great near the end.

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

looking forward to seeing him grow. at least he somewhat acknowledged the question that he needs to be able to perform at his best well into the playoff run, insinuating that he knew he wasn't playing great near the end.

he strikes me as someone who was told during his exit meeting, or perhaps contract negotiations, that playing in a market like van comes with certain media responsibilities and he's not going to be able to get out of them. 

47 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

$58 million dollars has a way of changing people’s attitudes. 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

Took a bit of time to digest this signing. 

After some thought, I am happy with it. Solidifies the Top Pairing and Hronek can still grow as a player. Quinn is the straw that stirs the drink, but Hronek compliments him and can fill in if there is ever an injury. 

NOW we need to add some beef and anger to the bottom 2 pairings and the bottom 6. Our skilled guys can hang with any other teams skill (even Edmonton.)

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Makar had 21 points in 34 games and a +9 in his D+1 year. McAvoy had 26 points in 38 games and also a +9. Willander had 25 points in 38 games and a +28. 

So, Willander is pretty much at the same pace as both those guys. We will see what he does next season. If he breaks out to a PPG then he most likely signs with the Canucks in March/April and even plays some games for us. 

I don’t think we can determine yet his ceiling. He might be a 30 point two way guy in the NHL. Or he could be a 60 point guy. His elite skating will allow him the opportunity to be an elite point producer IMO. He used to be a forward so that might help him

to score more points. He could also double shift as Petey’s right winger too. 

For me it’s… did lane Hutson carry him or hold him back from being “the guy”?.. from the games I watched Hutson was kind of a one man show using his speed to burn around defenders (hughes like) where willander was calm and steady and made very safe plays (josi like), with Hutson out of the picture will we see an increase of production due to being the qb1 and more than likely more mins logged, also as you can see I’m super excited about TW, to bad Aiden is also right woulda been cool to see them paired together 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

For me it’s… did lane Hutson carry him or hold him back from being “the guy”?.. from the games I watched Hutson was kind of a one man show using his speed to burn around defenders (hughes like) where willander was calm and steady and made very safe plays (josi like), with Hutson out of the picture will we see an increase of production due to being the qb1 and more than likely more mins logged, also as you can see I’m super excited about TW, to bad Aiden is also right woulda been cool to see them paired together 

I think we would all be pretty happy if Tom Willander turns into Roman Josi!!! 😊

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, BabychStache said:

Took a bit of time to digest this signing. 

After some thought, I am happy with it. Solidifies the Top Pairing and Hronek can still grow as a player. Quinn is the straw that stirs the drink, but Hronek compliments him and can fill in if there is ever an injury. 

NOW we need to add some beef and anger to the bottom 2 pairings and the bottom 6. Our skilled guys can hang with any other teams skill (even Edmonton.)

Actually, Allvin wants to try Hronek anchoring his own line.  

Something like this:

Hughes Tanev?

Zadorov? Hronek

Soucy Myers

But the point is, as you say, the signing really shores up the back end

1 hour ago, CanucksFan26 said:

It seems like the majority of Canucks fans like this deal but it’s wild that so many hate it. I know Hronek had a rough stretch late in the season, but seriously, someone name me RD the Canucks have had in the past 20 years besides him that can play top pair, Pk, and PP QB role. This fan base drives me nuts sometimes. 

Only sometimes?

4 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Something like this:

Hughes Tanev?

Zadorov? Hronek

Soucy Myers

are you basing that on his availability yesterday? I could be wrong, but all I heard him say was "... whether that's playing with quinn or on his own pairing" in regards to hronek having room to improve offensively. 

10 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Something like this:

Hughes Tanev?

Zadorov? Hronek

Soucy Myers

IMHAO Big Z would benefit greatly from Tanev as a baby sitter. 
H, H

Z, T

S, M

J

1 hour ago, CanucksFan26 said:

I think it's because most Canucks fans didn't know who he was before we got him. If he was well-known, I think more fans would easily accept this signing. 

11 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Something like this:

Hughes Tanev?

Zadorov? Hronek

Soucy Myers

That'd be the best dcore in the league, hands down.

1 minute ago, tas said:

are you basing that on his availability yesterday? I could be wrong, but all I heard him say was "... whether that's playing with quinn or on his own pairing" in regards to hronek having room to improve offensively. 

I heard it yesterday and I've heard it before in the media so I assume that he has said it more than once.  It makes sense to me.  This regime prefers to balance lines if they can rather than load up one line.  They don't play the lotto line together often and last year they played Miller, Petey and Lindholm all on different lines mostly. 

Hronek has some offensive skill and is QB-ing the 2nd PP.  Why wouldn't they give it a try?

1 minute ago, Crabcakes said:

I heard it yesterday and I've heard it before in the media so I assume that he has said it more than once.  It makes sense to me.  This regime prefers to balance lines if they can rather than load up one line.  They don't play the lotto line together often and last year they played Miller, Petey and Lindholm all on different lines mostly. 

Hronek has some offensive skill and is QB-ing the 2nd PP.  Why wouldn't they give it a try?

I mean, I don't think they won't give it a try. they HAVE given it a try. and I suspect both will happen on an ongoing basis. 

I just haven't heard allvin or anyone else specifically suggest that's their preference, and quinn is vocal about hronek being his preferred partner. 

15 minutes ago, tas said:

That’s a deadly D Core. 

the other poster hahaha @Crabcakes

with a nice d core.

Edited by The Aquaman

4 minutes ago, tas said:

I mean, I don't think they won't give it a try. they HAVE given it a try. and I suspect both will happen on an ongoing basis. 

I just haven't heard allvin or anyone else specifically suggest that's their preference, and quinn is vocal about hronek being his preferred partner. 

Hughes may like Hronek as his partner but if they get him someone like Tanev, who he really likes, things may be different.  I have no idea whether Tanev would come back or whether he would want too much money btw.

It's a bit of a waste if you have your 2 best offensive D on one line.

If Hronek is to be the man in the 2nd pair, who is his left hand man??1???!?!? Looking at the guys in the farm, McWard, Woo, Wolanin, Breezer are spoken of as in line for the 7th/8th D. Wolanin, Breeze and D-Petey are the lefties of note. 

I know we've Soucy still and Juulsen be the only other signed dman. We can't assume Chaos or Zadz will be returning. I certainly hope so, but it surely doesn't look like anyone on the farm can do the same jobs affectively as Myers and Zadarov. Most obvious is none of those guys are big, with  perhaps the exception of D-Petey, but he's not gonna be on the big club roster anytime soon.

However, when ya' think about it; with Hronek with us long term, and obviously Huggy in the fold for sure long term, we're gonna be in pretty good shape defensemen wise. Willander could be playing as early as '25/'26; D-Petey too.

Regarding the other 4 aforementioned farm guys, Wolanin, Woo, McWard and Breezer; are they even going to be a factor in any way, shape or form when the 2 young Swede dmen get into the fold? Would D-Petey be included as one of those four?!?!?!?!?

I know Willander is expected to do great thing with our Canucks, and because he's still young, D-Petey could be thought of as such too. D-Petey's game be just what is needed on a RT coached team. And he's a big boy ta' boot!

I dunno. I'm just spitballin'. Hronek as a driver for the 2nd pairing is intriguing. It's a matter of who he's paired up with though. With RT liking his D to play their strong side, who plays with Huggy? Juulsen?!?!!?? Is Soucy the guy with Hronek?!?!?!??? Obviously if we manage to resign both Myers and Zadz, the 3rd pairing is a lock. But if we only manage to sign one of them, or god forbid, neither! Then it looks like we're going after a free agent or gonna make a trade. probably the latter.