[Signing] Canucks Re-Sign Filip Hronek (8 years x $7.25 Million)

Just now, Crabcakes said:

Hughes may like Hronek as his partner but if they get him someone like Tanev, who he really likes, things may be different.  I have no idea whether Tanev would come back or whether he would want too much money btw.

It's a bit of a waste if you have your 2 best offensive D on one line.

you're preaching to the tanev choir, but I don't think it's necessarily a waste -- hard to argue with the results this season. 

in my mind, the greatest benefit to adding tanev (aside from mending the hole in my heart) is how seamlessly he could swap between pairing with hughes and zadorov situationally. but that was back when I thought it was possible to have all three on the same team, which in my mind was predicated on moving hronek. 

1 hour ago, BabychStache said:

Took a bit of time to digest this signing. 

After some thought, I am happy with it. Solidifies the Top Pairing and Hronek can still grow as a player. Quinn is the straw that stirs the drink, but Hronek compliments him and can fill in if there is ever an injury. 

NOW we need to add some beef and anger to the bottom 2 pairings and the bottom 6. Our skilled guys can hang with any other teams skill (even Edmonton.)

we are very much missing 2x skilled forwards

we couldn't crack it with lindholm

we need a lindholm + more

so Guentzel and a duclair type 25 goal scorer should do it

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

Not sure if it’s been posted yet, but it appears Mr. Buble took the opportunity to publicly call out Seravalli on the Canucks post 😆

IMG_3037.thumb.png.0a8cba80b8ad9b80c829de7c13aca417.png

Well played Buble. Captain Morgan clap for you. 

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Well played Buble. Captain Morgan clap for you. 

I think you may be conflating two different liquor ads. 

Edited by tas

3 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Actually, Allvin wants to try Hronek anchoring his own line.  

Something like this:

Hughes Tanev?

Zadorov? Hronek

Soucy Myers

But the point is, as you say, the signing really shores up the back end

If Hronek can anchor his own pairing that would be huge moving forward.

Especially with Willander in the wings.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Canuckpuckluck1 said:

Shayna Goldman , thanks for playing the all new Wheel of Stupidity, you are todays winner.....well played champ!  🤪

Yeah, that didn't age well. lol. 

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

If Hronek can anchor his own pairing that would be huge moving forward.

Especially with Willander in the wings.

Willander once he breaks onto the team is going to have Hughes and Hronek be able to mentor him. 

And then if we can land Guentzel, what's a better player than to learn from for Lekkerimäki once he breaks onto the team? 

Canucks can't keep giving away 1st round picks. Gotta keep 2025 regardless of where they fall in the standings. 

52 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Though, having Bo at the bumper spot on the team would be golden. 

Imagine a world w/o Mikheyev's contract and without OEL's buyout. Canucks could probably have signed Horvat to 8 million or at least high 7's 

On 6/18/2024 at 7:21 PM, MikeyD said:

Overpayment in my opinion. Gonna be really tough for him to live up to this one. 

That's the money you pay somebody that can at least carry their own pairing.

That's bullsh**. Hronek hasn't peaked yet. 7.2 million isn't what you think it is either. Its not 2005

Edited by Blue
  • ThereItIs 1

4 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Imagine a world w/o Mikheyev's contract and without OEL's buyout. Canucks could probably have signed Horvat to 8 million or at least high 7's 

And we would still have Horfat Wallet cheating the game and leading us to lots of losing and Benning (the moran) still.

• Vintage 1

5 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Though, having Bo at the bumper spot on the team would be golden. 

The removal of Bo had more to do with changing culture than salary/positional needs

Hard to change a culture of losing with a captain who fully accepts losing, and isn't willing to do what it takes to win. Evidenced by his me-me-me play in his contract year. Granted, I don't blame the guy for taking the biggest opportunity of his life and turning it into a retirement contract, just glad it wasn't on the Canucks.

Agreed he would be very useful on that bumper spot though

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah, that didn't age well. lol. 

most hot takes don't, since for the most part they are by nature hyperbolic and over the top for the sake of getting attention. 

11 hours ago, tas said:

are you basing that on his availability yesterday? I could be wrong, but all I heard him say was "... whether that's playing with quinn or on his own pairing" in regards to hronek having room to improve offensively. 

Some more background in Hronek and what could be in store. 

26 minute mark of the post season presser, with Allvin and Tochett, in response to how much Hronek helped QHs breakout year, paraphrased:

Preamble:

"Think they played really well together"

"Two great puck moving guys"

"They like playing with each other"

Then he says what he wants to say;

"There are a lot of things I liked about that pair, but also think they are both capable of handling their own pair"

"Think that we could get more out of Hronek offensively"

"Think that there were times where he played more cautiously, backing Quin, and giving him the puck"

Then diplomatically, finishes it off where he started "they really like playing with each other" etc.   

Allvin and Tochett are a breathe of fresh air.   They don't give up too much but enough to get a good sound bite, and say it like it is.     Agree with Allvin,  they did make a great pair,  they could also split it up and share the wealth if that's what's needed.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Blue said:

That's bullsh**. Hronek hasn't peaked yet. 7.2 million isn't what you think it is either. Its not 2005

Hronek signed before the cap officially has gone up, so forever his starting  percentage will be locked in at 8.24%.   Provrov (just picking a name out of a hat and comparing) legacy deal was 8.28%, six years though.    Parayoko, got 8 years, his cap hit 7.98%.

IF he signed after cap went up to reported 88.5...,  his actual starting cap percentage (first year of new deal),  is 8.135%.     A tier above,  Alex P in Vegas, his starting cap was 10.8%  (no state tax to boot).   That's 25% more dough, and he signed at 30-31. 

You're correct by not looking at the $$, its cap percentage when comparing older deals.     Edler got a six year, 5 million dollar deal at 7.78% .   So one can make a case it was a bit too much.   Thing is, he's only going to be 33-34 when it's done.     Much better than a lot of boat anchor legacy deals that start when guys are 29-30.    Like Guentzel likely gets.   Out team can afford one big UFA deal that's an overpayment.    If Hronek was a LHD instead, yes he'd probably got the same deal Edler got.    Hronek isn't an overpayment, it's a tad less than analytics predicted (7.4 x 8).   Personally feel it was a fair deal in any market, in ours it was excellent.    

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

12 hours ago, HarbularyBattery said:

we are very much missing 2x skilled forwards

we couldn't crack it with lindholm

we need a lindholm + more

so Guentzel and a duclair type 25 goal scorer should do it

What if Pete just stood up. We don't need all that we need Pete to play like he can and to replace Mik with someone actually playing at the level Mik is payed to play. 

Having Guentzel and Brock luxury not need. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

What if Pete just stood up. We don't need all that we need Pete to play like he can and to replace Mik with someone actually playing at the level Mik is payed to play. 

Having Guentzel and Brock luxury not need. 

Allvin thinks Mikheyev is not a top six forward, and it's his fault for not finding a player to play with EP (yet).   Thinks he's a good PKer, with speed as his intangible, and was put in a bad position as a result.   No training camp, and still recovering from his surgery,  and lost his confidence.     Price of a good UFA middle six player.   Garland.   

It's not a luxury, it's a must have (we won't win shit with 3 top six players).  

Even in the peak Sedin era, all we could manage was 4 top six guys, and Burrows was arguably a middle six forward off the Sedin line.    The team can afford 4 top six guys locked in.   The other guys, hopefully to push us over the top, will come within. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Hronek clearly too about 1.5 less per to stay. He would have been a UFA July 2025. Cap likely at 92 mil for the 2025/26 season. 27, top pairing, right shot D coming off two fantastic seasons. He’s looking at 8.5 per and more. Maybe even into the 9’s from some clubs. 

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, iinatcc said:

OEL was a bad signing. And we'd probably not have Cole last year at least if the team kept him. Possibly that's no Soucy as well.

And there was no guarantee he'd improve. Moving on from OEL was fixing a bad situation.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hronek clearly too about 1.5 less per to stay. He would have been a UFA July 2025. Cap likely at 92 mil for the 2025/26 season. 27, top pairing, right shot D coming off two fantastic seasons. He’s looking at 8.5 per and more. Maybe even into the 9’s from some clubs. 

He didn't take a discount for today though.    Allvin is banking on him to be a regular 30-35 point guy off the top pairing, as the low bar.    He should be able to manage that.    EV strength.    It could be that high though (cap), still his cap percentage wouldn't be 10 plus, that's getting into another tier entirely.    Guys who get Norris votes.    His valuation was very close to what he got.   

Edited by IBatch