[Signing] Canucks Re-Sign Filip Hronek (8 years x $7.25 Million)

6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Sounds like Milstein is actively working with the team to make something happen that works for both sides. 

Mikheyev should think hard about agreeing to go to a bottom feeder like Chicago, where he can have a better chance of playing important minutes to increase his value in time for his final career contract. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

So back to Hronek.  As with most contracts of this nature (long-term / high value), they'll tend to suck at the end of the contract.  Here's to hoping we have more than enough 'good years' to compensate for that.🍻

He's 26, and a defenseman. He's not even in his prime yet.

If he was 28-29 now, I would agree with you. But at 34 or 35 at the end of this contract, I don't think there's much worry of regretting the later years here.  He won't be in his prime any more, but he won't likely be a handicap either.

If he plays his worth of the contract for the 1st 5 years, the last three can easily be solid.

• Cheers 4

25 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Mikheyev should think hard about agreeing to go to a bottom feeder like Chicago, where he can have a better chance of playing important minutes to increase his value in time for his final career contract. 

You hear that, Ilya? Chicago is where it's at! Playing with Bedard! 

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

If Hronek was a UFA this July there isn’t a club that goes higher than 7.25 cap allocation? 

Maybe.  But he's not.   The better question is why should we?   There are a lot of other players more proven, that got 9-10% plus allocated to the cap as free agent's over the years.   So let's just be happy we traded Horvat for Hronek and call it a day. 

(referring to the 1.5 added hypothetical).   It's like Friedman said, a win win.   For the player and the team. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

• -AJ- unpinned and unfeatured this topic
Just now, Dr. Crossbar said:

Hronek bump!

Our top duo is set. 

Happy Hronek!

So fantastic Hronek took a hometown discount. 7.25 AAV is such a good number for the club. He’s likely 9 x 7 as a UFA 2025. 

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, Alflives said:

So fantastic Hronek took a hometown discount. 7.25 AAV is such a good number for the club. He’s likely 9 x 7 as a UFA 2025. 

It's interesting how from the very start when he was traded people and media went to the extreme concern of $8+ and sat in that extreme alarmism daily for over an entire season as if that extreme was an absolute reality.

The alarmism around the Petey contract was similar for months on end and look how that turned out. 

Things usually happen in the middle and not the extremes.

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

As long as Hronek stays with Hughes, his salary is going to look just fine if not flat out great. 

I also think he’s going to have at least one season where he pops off for 15 plus goals and 70-ish points and we can all laugh and laugh about what an amazing contract it is. 

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

It's interesting how from the very start when he was traded people and media went to the extreme concern of $8+ and sat in that extreme alarmism daily for over an entire season as if that extreme was an absolute reality.

The alarmism around the Petey contract was similar for months on end and look how that turned out. 

Things usually happen in the middle and not the extremes.

That's pretty much the case every single time.  It'll happen with Boeser too.  People are already saying he's gonna be making $8M to $9M... he hasn't even played his final contract season yet lol.

And personally, I think Lindholm will get less than $8M and Guentzel less than $9M.  Not by a lot less, but just a touch under.  Some people are saying Lindholm will get $8.5M and Guentzel $9.5M.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, HKSR said:

That's pretty much the case every single time.  It'll happen with Boeser too.  People are already saying he's gonna be making $8M to $9M... he hasn't even played his final contract season yet lol.

And personally, I think Lindholm will get less than $8M and Guentzel less than $9M.  Not by a lot less, but just a touch under.  Some people are saying Lindholm will get $8.5M and Guentzel $9.5M.

It is pretty much every single time yet no one ever breaks the pattern. It all just gets repeated and the same things get said for months on end.

It will be interesting to see what Lindholm winds up with after turning down $7 here on a rising team. I wouldn't go any higher than what you have. That was a really good deal for him, imo.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Sounds like Walsh thought he could get more. I don't think he's wrong. He's still an asshole though

This podcast sounds like a big rant about how he could have screwed us. And wishes he got the chance.

Jesus , I'm not even finished it but it's a must listen 

He figures Hughs 3rd contract will be 13 to 14 million. And Hroneks 3rd contract that he just signed is almost half that. He's right about this too.

Edited by Blue

On 6/19/2024 at 11:22 AM, canuck73_3 said:

I don’t get where he can’t carry a pairing comes from you actually think Maatta was carrying him in Detroit? 🤣

Do you think that was a good defensive unit? Lol

You could say Aaron Rome carried his own pairing too. Doesn't make it good.

Edit: for clarification, he was over -100 on Detroit. Doesn't spell carrying a defensive pairing to me.

Edited by MikeyD

On 6/20/2024 at 6:10 AM, Blue said:

That's bullsh**. Hronek hasn't peaked yet. 7.2 million isn't what you think it is either. Its not 2005

7.2 is what you pay for a solid #2 defenseman. 

He's not good enough defensively to be a solid #2. 

I sure hope he hasn't peaked yet. So far he's trended the same exact way for years now. Starts off good, then dies off as the season progresses. 

He was over -100 for his career before Hughes saved him. He can produce at times, he can be invisible at times but he's yet to show for long stretches of time that he's a good defender. 

Here's to hoping that our defensive coaches can whip him into shape because we saw a quarter of a season of good defense and then that fell off, then his offense fell off and now he cashed in on a contract banking on his age allowing him to increase his potential as a hockey player. 

Maybe I'm old school, but I preferred the days where players earned their contracts before they were given the money they got. 

It's a long contract, let's hope it doesn't become a Tyler Myers 2.0, but to me it looks like a bit of an upgraded version of that contract. 

I hope I'm wrong and he gives us early season Hronek. Would love to see that consistently but in the past several years he's started off hot and faded every single year. 

• Confused 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

Do you think that was a good defensive unit? Lol

You could say Aaron Rome carried his own pairing too. Doesn't make it good.

Edit: for clarification, he was over -100 on Detroit. Doesn't spell carrying a defensive pairing to me.

Yeah Detroit was rebuilding, not sure how you expect good defensive stats on a perennial dumpster…

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

I sure hope he hasn't peaked yet. So far he's trended the same exact way for years now. Starts off good, then dies off as the season progresses. 

He was over -100 for his career before Hughes saved him. He can produce at times, he can be invisible at times but he's yet to show for long stretches of time that he's a good defender. 

Here's to hoping that our defensive coaches can whip him into shape because we saw a quarter of a season of good defense and then that fell off, then his offense fell off and now he cashed in on a contract banking on his age allowing him to increase his potential as a hockey player. 

Maybe I'm old school, but I preferred the days where players earned their contracts before they were given the money they got. 

It's a long contract, let's hope it doesn't become a Tyler Myers 2.0, but to me it looks like a bit of an upgraded version of that contract. 

I hope I'm wrong and he gives us early season Hronek. Would love to see that consistently but in the past several years he's started off hot and faded every single year. 

Quinn Hughs had 3 goals and minus 25 when he was given 7.75 million. 

Hronek played like a #1 defensman for half a season. And when Hronek started to level down , Hughs did too. And they were both banged up and mediocre in the playoffs. 

How much team success and even personal stats success did Hughs really have before Hronek showed up ? So maybe you should ask who's really carrying who.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Cheers 1

2018-19 Vancouver Canucks NHL 5 0 3 3 2 0 -- -- -- -- --
2019-20 Vancouver Canucks NHL 68 8 45 53 22 -10 17 2 14 16 2
2020-21 Vancouver Canucks NHL 56 3 38 41 22 -24 -- -- -- -- --
2021-22 Vancouver Canucks NHL 76 8 60 68 28 10 -- -- -- -- --
2022-23 Vancouver Canucks NHL 78 7 69 76 34 15 -- -- -- --

28 minutes ago, Blue said:

How much team success and even personal stats success did Hughs really have before Hronek showed up

The above is Hughes- without Hronek

the below is Hronek without Hughes

2018-19 Detroit Red Wings NHL 46 5 18 23 30 -10 -- -- -- -- --
2018-19 Grand Rapids Griffins AHL 31 7 17 24 45 0 5 0 3 3 28
2019-20 Detroit Red Wings NHL 65 9 22 31 46 -38 -- -- -- -- --
2020-21 Hradec Kralove Czech 22 10 13 23 18 15 -- -- -- -- --
2020-21 Detroit Red Wings NHL 56 2 24 26 16 -18 -- -- -- -- --
2021-22 Detroit Red Wings NHL 78 5 33 38 36 -29 -- -- -- -- --
2022-23 Detroit Red Wings NHL 60 9 29 38 34 8

plus 4 games in Vancouver last year,  1 assist

23 hours ago, MikeyD said:

This was a great signing to a player starting his prime just put up a career year knowing he's gotta be the defensive responsible player with Hughes.  He always look to find Hughes in the O zone without his passing abilities Hughes wouldn't have put up the numbers he did this year.

You could have star players, but if u put them with mediocre players they will not shine as bright vs putting them with a good player they will shine brighter then a diamond.

Lindhom offensively needs 2 very good wingers to look like a star, he's not a play driver for his line.  Hronek on his own pairing will still be close to the points he had this season being 1st option in the O zone for his pairing, but that will decrease Hughes production by 10-15pts so having them together is the dominate option.

Hughes will be the first guy to tell you without Hronek he wouldn't have won the Norris that easily with that many 1st place votes and I don't think many fans would of thought Hughes would even win a Norris this soon.

Edited by Madskillz
  • Cheers 2

23 hours ago, Blue said:

Quinn Hughs had 3 goals and minus 25 when he was given 7.75 million. 

Hronek played like a #1 defensman for half a season. And when Hronek started to level down , Hughs did too. And they were both banged up and mediocre in the playoffs. 

How much team success and even personal stats success did Hughs really have before Hronek showed up ? So maybe you should ask who's really carrying who.

This takes the cake for awful takes. Hronek carried Hughes?

Wow.

I'll give you props though. You really went for it. You really did. 

Here I was thinking Hughes had a phenomenal season the year before but really nothing paled in comparison to elite #1 defenseman Filip Hronek. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Yeah Detroit was rebuilding, not sure how you expect good defensive stats on a perennial dumpster…

I didn't expect spectacular, I expected respectable. Detroit wasn't THAT bad. They weren't last years' Sharks. 

4 hours ago, MikeyD said:

I didn't expect spectacular, I expected respectable. Detroit wasn't THAT bad. They weren't last years' Sharks. 

They’ve been mostly nowhere near playoffs for over half a decade now pushing an entire decade. 

Him and Seider were there two best dmen by a lot. 

• Cheers 1

On 6/24/2024 at 9:14 AM, HKSR said:

While I mostly agree… it only takes one GM to jack things up… Johnny hockey for example lol