[Signing] Canucks Re-Sign Filip Hronek (8 years x $7.25 Million)

I'm so glad, I honestly thought it was going to be a case of either the Canucks desperately pay him 8+ million per year or just let him walk in free agency and have a huge whole in the defense that they need to fill all over again. 

So glad that they got him for close to 7 mill after all the chatter. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

1.25 more than Myers last contract , younger, longer term, better player.

just goes to show how bad Benning was! 

5 years vs 8 years

rebuilding team vs contending team

gives you a lot more leverage.

also the cap froze immediately after signing Myers. The cap was supposed to be 84-88mil in 2020-21

Hughes, Petey, Boeser, Demko, incredible value on those deals.

• Like 2

Now we will hear 8 years of he can’t carry his own pair. Hughes is the reason he has any points etc etc. ok joke aside decent deal I was expecting 7.5-8 I guess the 8th year brought the aav down

Just now, AnthonyG said:

5 years vs 8 years

rebuilding team vs contending team

gives you a lot more leverage.

also the cap froze immediately after signing Myers. The cap was supposed to be 84-88mil in 2020-21

Hughes, Petey, Boeser, Demko, incredible value on those deals.

You missed Miller. One of the best values 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

If he puts together a few season that look like first half Hronek, it is a decent deal.

Young enough that the last few years should not be a huge hit, performance wise.

If he plays like second half Hronek, the team is in trouble.

• Like 1

I'm not thrilled about the $7.25M AAV as I'm skeptical about Hronek's impact, but here we are.

I think this management group has had a reasonable feel about what this roster needs to compete as well as what the cost would be to improve this team. This signing indicates to me an assessment that Hronek's impact cannot be adequately replaced by a UFA (which I think is fair) or by trade (which is probably also fair), and that this cost does not affect their other plans to improve on last year's roster.

I'm a bit skeptical about how the team will allocate the remaining cap $, especially if they truly sign Guentzel. Would love Guentzel to join the team, but even if his AAV comes in slightly below projections, it would eat up a huge chunk of the remaining cap such that I would have significant questions about how management will fill the roster with enough effective depth. Are they going for a model where the team will rely heavily on two high performing lines (Miller's and EP's) supported by a bottom 6 of Garland, Mikheyev, Suter, prospects who need to take the next step and cheap veteran players? What about the defense?

Unless management is able to move out cap space (e.g. Mikheyev or, reluctantly, Garland), I'm guessing we really might see several prospects have a significant opportunity to make the roster next season.

• ThereItIs 1

14 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Just wanted to point out... remember the conversation about how negotiations start high for the player and low for the team?  Yeah... this is what the result is.  Can't believe people don't understand how a negotiation works.

Exactly! It was always going to come in at this!

• Like 3

I think most of us will agree, this is a fair deal for both sides.

$7+ million for a 34 year old (at the end of the deal) seems a bit steep today, (even if he's still playing reasonably well at that age) but the reality is, we don't know what the Cap, or comparables will be by that time.

I just hope this doesn't mean we can't afford Zadorov now....

• Like 3