McDavid's Race to Single Post Season 47+ Points

Even though I don't like Oilers, have to admit that it's unbelievable what McDavid is accomplishing. Currently he's at 42 points in this series. I would like Panthers to close out this series and take it 4-2. But if this series goes beyond, there is a chance McDavid might reach or even cross 47 points mark set by Gretzky. 

If we put aside how we feel about him as Canucks fans and acknowledge what he has achieved, is remarkable. I am sure when Gretzky played for EDM & LAK during his time, people/fans of other teams felt the same way about him as well. 

Sorry if this has already been posted or discussed. 

McDavid.png

Edited by Scott72

42 points in a playoff year. Some good players get playoff 42 points in their whole career lol. And some people were commenting McDavid is only flashy in the regular season. McDavid is marked every shift. We had all 5 players watching him on ice during our series.

He is still a douchebag for those high sticks with the intent to injure though. Don't mind if he whines to be honest. 

19 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

Kinda helps that you can't breathe around him or you'll end up in the box.

League has always tried to protect superstars, this is nothing new.

People can dislike McDavid all they want, but they can’t deny that he is one of the top players in the NHL.

13 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

People can dislike McDavid all they want, but they can’t deny that he is one of the top players in the history of the NHL.

Ftfy

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

It's pretty nuts, like him or not that's an impressive feat. 

Exactly!! if we just put aside him playing for Oilers and appreciate him as a player for a change. I don't know if he will break all the records set by Gretzky, but even just coming close and being in the conversation of record might get broken or matched is just unbelievable. That too in this playing era. In 20 years down the road people might talk about him like we mention Gretzky when it comes to NHL records. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Scott72 said:

Exactly!! if we just put aside him playing for Oilers and appreciate him as a player for a change. I don't know if he will break all the records set by Gretzky, but even just coming close and being in the conversation of record might get broken or matched is just unbelievable. That too in this playing era. In 20 years down the road people might talk about him like we mention Gretzky when it comes to NHL records. 

If he starts conducting himself like a true professional like Gretzky did and stopped whining and crying to the refs whenever someone breathes on him and stops going down like he got shot after the lightest contact then yeah it would be a no brainer but until then, absolutely not. 

36 minutes ago, Pears said:

If he starts conducting himself like a true professional like Gretzky did and stopped whining and crying to the refs whenever someone breathes on him and stops going down like he got shot after the lightest contact then yeah it would be a no brainer but until then, absolutely not. 

The Wayner did his share of whining too...just sayin'

But ya, McBaby is an entitled dweeb, and 99 was the consummate pro for sure

• Like 1

Like him or not, when you factor in era and quality of teammates, McDavid might be having the single most dominant playoffs of any single player of all time.

Even if he doesn't get the record, it might still be true. For the same reason people can already say Ovechkin is the greatest goalscorer, whether or not he catches Gretzky. Eras matter.

And I almost don't count those Gretzky Oiler team records. They were so ridiculously stacked. But the fact that McDavid has passed what Wayne did with the Kings, and nipping at the heels of Lemieux... With today's coaching, quality of competition, and goaltending... It's simply amazing.

5 hours ago, Scott72 said:

Hats off to McDavid. If he brings the Oilers back to win the Cup then he is more than special. The dif between McDavid and Gretzky is how fast McDavid is. They both see the ice incredibly well but I put Gretzky's passing at a higher level. 

Vancouver did a pretty good job of shutting him down, but he still got his points.

He has been flying from game 4 and on, and it looks like Florida has to adjust to stop him from being able to move at will.

16 hours ago, Honkin Hronek said:

When he signs for a hockey team worth cheering for then I'll be happy to cheer for him. Although, it would be hilarious to see Edmonton come back to force game 7, get McDavid his record, and lose

If he ever drops the Olympic diving routine and plays like a man, MAYBE... Just maybe... I might consider not booing him every time he touches the puck. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Hats off to McDavid. If he brings the Oilers back to win the Cup then he is more than special. The dif between McDavid and Gretzky is how fast McDavid is. They both see the ice incredibly well but I put Gretzky's passing at a higher level. 

I have not seen Gretzky play but that dangle he pulled off yesterday and passed it to Perry was just thing of a beauty. 

6 hours ago, c00kies said:

Vancouver did a pretty good job of shutting him down, but he still got his points.

He has been flying from game 4 and on, and it looks like Florida has to adjust to stop him from being able to move at will.

I've said this before. Watching other teams play against McDavid led EDM team, makes one appreciate how Canucks team performed this offseason. Our boys have been the best to shut down EDM and score on PP against them. 

1 hour ago, Fantomex said:

If he ever drops the Olympic diving routine and plays like a man, MAYBE... Just maybe... I might consider not booing him every time he touches the puck. 

If he was playing for / living in Vancouver I would understand. Maybe 12.5 M is not sufficient to get things going. But 12.5 M in EDM gives no reason to try out for Olympics diving team for some extra cash.

Sometimes I wonder what other teams think of Pettersson. He doesn't dive but the way he falls down.