[Speculation] Draft prospect Demidov may elect to remain in Russia

Snapshots: Pinto, Gomez, Demidov

June 18th, 2024 at 9:00pm CST • By Gabriel Foley

Top 2024 NHL Draft prospect Ivan Demidov was dismissive when asked when he expects to move to North America in an interview with Scott Powers of The Athletic, saying only, “We’ll see what happens.” 

Demidov has been entrenched in rumors early in his hockey career, with many speculating that he and defenseman Artyom Levshunov are the top options for second overall.

One of the few knocks against Demidov’s game has been his limited exposure to the KHL – instead playing nearly all of his hockey in the MHL, Russia’s U21 league. He similarly played off the question of whether he expects more KHL ice time next season, saying he wasn’t sure and likely wouldn’t know until after the draft.

While neither answer was an outright no, Demidov’s uncertainty certainly doesn’t elicit excitement. He’ll remain an incredibly skilled player, surrounded by a litany of questions, as June 28th’s First Round draws closer.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/06/snapshots-pinto-gomez-demidov.html#ref=home

36 minutes ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

Probably pulling a Mitchkov to try and get to a team he wants to go to 

Exactly what he’s doing. I think Jagr originally did this but Mitchov for sure was the latest. 

If it's a ploy to dodge a team, who is he trying to dodge at the top of the draft? Most everyone has him top 2/3. Only really leaves Chicago since I think Celebrini is pretty much 1st overall. But rumors are swirling Chicago are high on Levshenov anyway. Hell, according to Levshenov himself the only team who took him out to dinner was Chicago. I guess I can see Demidov not wanting to go to Columbus. Yuck. And Montreal? I can see him wanting to dodge the Frenchies. But Utah? I'll take the Frenchies. Ottawa, Seattle and Calgary aren't the best of places either. Maybe he really likes Kuzy. I dunno, problem for the teams actually drafting there.

I'd go to Montreal before I'd go Utah.

Montreal is very cosmopolitan. It's outside of Montreal the Quebecers look at you funny if you speak English.

I kinda don't blame them. All the arrogant Americans that go to Mount Tremblant to ski.

Edited by Ghostsof1915

9 hours ago, King Heffy said:

If the entitled twerp doesn't want to play for the team he's drafted, he can stay in Russia and see if he prefers the draft there.

The unfortunate reality in russia is that you are more likely to get drafted there (to the army) if you do decide to go the North America. If you are a top level hockey player who stays in KHL, you are protected from their army draft.