Stonehenge Vandalized By The Stop Oil Idiots

Sabrefan1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, PureQuickness said:

You just look foolish for bringing up Benning on a topic that had nothing to do with hockey. You know that right?

Benning is history now and you talked about ”one does NOT have an excuse to be this wrong about history”.

Edited by LillStrimma
  • Confused 1

On 6/19/2024 at 8:19 AM, DSVII said:

Sarcasm is dead nowadays isn't it.

A very late reply and I apologize for it. I must have missed it the first time. Can't really tell what's sarcasm nowadays. There's so much goddamn ignorance of the world. There's people who still believe in flat earth. Enough said.

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2024 at 10:24 AM, bolt said:

Should spend 10 years in jail for terrorism.

On 6/19/2024 at 10:22 PM, Sharpshooter said:

I hear ya. It’s the same for those that stop highways and bridges. 

I want to flog them all, and then I remember we’re not North Korea, and even then, specifically, I wish we were. 

Just venting. I digress. 

Bouds gets half of his wish, anyway.....and I suspect a few others will be happy about this, although I have to confess that considering the sentences other crimes get (especially "white collar" crime) I think it's harsh.....

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/high-sentences-for-uk-climate-activists-spark-widespread-criticism/ar-BB1qra4E?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=bab26f9a48704d77af7cc295022aa6e5&ei=15

In November 2022, 45 protesters from Just Stop Oil climbed gantries on the highway, forcing the police to stop traffic. The protesters wanted disruption of traffic in southern England to draw attention to the demands for a move away from fossil fuels, the use of which deepens the climate crisis. The youngest convicted activist, Cressida Gethin, is 22 years old. Roger Hallam, co-founder of Just Stop Oil and Extinction Rebellion, is 58 years old.

Prosecutors stated that 45 people blocked the highway for over 120 hours, impacting 700,000 drivers. Police actions cost £1.1 million (CA$1.9 million), and the economic losses incurred by people stuck in traffic were estimated at £765,000 (about CA$1.3 million). Representing herself in court, Lancaster emphasized that the effects of climate change mean we are at a "dangerous and critical point in human history." She added that "all other means of democratic persuasion have failed."

According to euronews.com, Judge Christopher Hehir ruled that climate issues were "irrelevant and inadmissible as evidence," dismissing them as "political opinions and beliefs." The jury was instructed to ignore any evidence regarding the climate crisis and prevented from considering whether it constituted a "justifiable excuse" under the law. This approach resembles the scenario of the 2021 film Don't Look Up. The movie is, in fact, a metaphor for the attitude of many people toward the impending climate disaster.

So, the judge essentially took away any defense they might have been able to make. I guess this is the example many were hoping for....

More in the link

• Like 1