Trade: Calgary Flames trade Jacob Markstrom to New Jersey

14 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

How come all the people that get so mad about LTIR don’t get mad about salary retention?  Seems like an even more direct way to circumvent the cap. 

It's because there's still a cap-hit consequence for retaining salary, as well as real $$$ consequences in some cases as well.

40 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i thought no one could do trades till after the SC was over? is that not true?

Anyone can trade. You can even trade after the trade deadline.

Fun fact. Trevor Linden was traded during the Stanley Cup playoffs.

4 hours ago, brownky said:

Great deal for a guy signed in free agency. Actual free asset gain.

Yes. Green obviously had a hand in this trade. Let's see if Green can win with a decent goaltender. NJ fans said their downfall was their goaltending last year.

Edit: my bad. I forgot about Green going to Ottawa.

Edited by PureQuickness

29 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

I’ll always remember Iginla bringing the whole Flames team back onto the ice to shake Trevor Linden’s hand in his last game.

Iggy was probably one of the best players for the Flames (Outside of Lanny McDonald).

He was honourable even when he scrapped.

If Tij is half of what his Dad could do, the team that drafts him will be well served.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

Can trade, players are ineligible to play in post season if acquired after the deadline though. 

Edited by canuck73_3

51 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Makes sense.  CGY needs cap space to find guys via UFA and at the same time they are bolstering their future.  They're doing a retool the right way.

Since the Tkachuk trade, the Flames have moved out:

Toffoli

Lindholm

Zadorov

Tanev

Hanifin

Markstrom

In return, the Flames got:

1st Round Pick

1st Round Pick

1st Round Pick

2nd Round Pick

3rd Round Pick

3rd Round Pick

3rd Round Pick

3rd Round Pick

4th Round Pick

5th Round Pick

Kuzmenko

Sharangovich

Jurmo

Brzustewicz

Grushnikov

Miromanov

Bahl

All while maintaining a half decent roster to work with.

Let's say they go out and grab a top 6F and a top 4 RHD:  Stephenson?  DeMelo?

Top 9:

Huberdeau-Kadri-Kuzmenko

Pospisil-Stephenson-Zary

Mangiapane-Backlund-Sharangovich

Top 4:

Weegar-Anderson

Kylington-DeMelo

They're doing a heck of a job tbh

They're not making the playoffs next year but at least they're not icing an embarassing product, all the while accumulating an insane amount of draft capital

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Provost said:

No one is mad about LTIR... people are mad about LTIR being abused.  When teams coincidentally keeps have players get "hurt"
 so that they can use that space to trade for players and exceed the cap, and THEN those "hurt" players magically always get better right for the playoffs... that is abusing it.

The GMs and league have been talking about removing that loophole.

With retention, each team is allowed a set number of retention spots so the loopholes are closed for abusing it.

A few GMs may want to remove the loophole but it isn’t really different.  
It is a method for a team to go over the cap, accept now they can do it all season so it is worse. 

Each team is allowed to reactivate injured players in the playoffs too. 

45 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

That's a pretty solid return, I like Calgary's approach to retooling.

Bang on, there's no reason they couldn't be competitive next season. Probably not a playoff team, but competitive. It really depends on who they're able to reel in via UFA or trade. 

I don't see Calgary not being in the race next year.  Vancouver is going to be in tough........let's hope Vegas falls right off the cliff.

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

I think it's more a case of teams usually waiting, so as not to steal the thunder from the Cup final....

Of course with Edmonton playing, (and the team that fleeced them in the Tkachuk trade) the Flames would not be bothered about that....

• Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I don't mind Calgary tbh, even when they were good they weren't nearly as obnoxious as Edmonton and their fans. 

I can't stand the fLames!... But... Since Johnny hockey and MT moved, I hate them a bit less.  Their fans aren't any better than Edmontons, they're just not as good Asa team right now, so aren't as cocky... But it's coming, now that hey will be on the upswing. Reluctantly, I really respect how they are going about this retool.  God I wish Benning did half as well in his attempt. 

21 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

Yes. Green obviously had a hand in this trade. Let's see if Green can win with a decent goaltender. NJ fans said their downfall was their goaltending last year.

From Ottawa?  :hurhur:

https://www.nhl.com/senators/news/travis-green-named-senators-head-coach

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't see Calgary not being in the race next year.  Vancouver is going to be in tough........let's hope Vegas falls right off the cliff.

They lost their starting goalie, 3 of their 4 best defensemen and 2 of their top 6 on what fucking planet does that trend giving the defending division champs trouble? 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think they could be, but they'd have to beat out one of Vancouver, Edmonton, LA, and Vegas, all of which I could see making the playoffs 

I am expecting some regression for us though

9 minutes ago, Hogs and Podz said:

I can't stand the fLames!... But... Since Johnny hockey and MT moved, I hate them a bit less.  Their fans aren't any better than Edmontons, they're just not as good Asa team right now, so aren't as cocky... But it's coming, now that hey will be on the upswing. Reluctantly, I really respect how they are going about this retool.  God I wish Benning did half as well in his attempt. 

Mmm, could just be different expriences. I've always found Edmonton fans to be much more annoying, whereas I enjoyed our rivalry with Calgary more when both teams were sorta good. 

I think they'll retool just fine, but I think they're probably still a ways out from being more than maybe a playoff hopeful. I like their approach to retooling though, certainly. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

A few GMs may want to remove the loophole but it isn’t really different.  
It is a method for a team to go over the cap, accept now they can do it all season so it is worse. 

Each team is allowed to reactivate injured players in the playoffs too. 

Well you might not understand the difference, but effectively everyone else does including the NHL who are actively looking at it.

The intent of LTIR was to give cap relief for injured players.  It was not to stash cap hits away until the playoffs to gain a competitive advantage.

The NHL specifically has clauses that allow them to address cap circumvention, this is one of those instances.