Trade: Calgary Flames trade Jacob Markstrom to New Jersey

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Could be a quick turnaround if they sign a couple good UFAs (ie. Stephenson and DeMelo)

Top 9:

Huberdeau-Kadri-Kuzmenko

Pospisil-Stephenson-Zary

Mangiapane-Backlund-Sharangovich

Top 4:

Weegar-Anderson

Kylington-DeMelo

I dunno, that Huberdeau contract is so awful aand all the other issues....with no conditions left the Flames could be giving a top 10 pick or better to Montreal next year with no goaltender or depth to speak of.  I'd say it's a 3-4 year turnaround but giving up a potential Misa, McQueen, Moore or Hensler is always going to hurt.  This is without even mentioning the possibility that the pick the Flames gave up could be a lottery winner and Hagens is available 

Whatever the case, they're stockpiling some decent futures and that is never ever a bad thing

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Devils did good. Bahl looks to be nothing and they certainly expect to be better next year. The Flames’ GM is Benning bad. 

He didn’t sign Kadri or Huberdeau. He has got a tonne of draft choices with the broken team he inherited and still has pieces to move. 
‘Pretty good for a guy saddled with the Kadri and Huberdeau contracts. 
‘If he can get something for the flash in the pan Mangiapanne I would say he is doing a really good stealth rebuild, especially if they draft Tij. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

I’ll always remember Iginla bringing the whole Flames team back onto the ice to shake Trevor Linden’s hand in his last game.

The Iginla led Flames were very respectable.  I wholeheartedly cheered for them when they went to the finals.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

That stands out, for sure. 

The only two Canadian teams I reallllllly don't like are Edmonton and Toronto. 

I grew up watching games with my Dad and he always felt the same way about Edmonton and Toronto. The more years that I’ve watched the more that I agree.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

I dunno, that Huberdeau contract is so awful aand all the other issues....with no conditions left the Flames could be giving a top 10 pick or better to Montreal next year with no goaltender or depth to speak of.  I'd say it's a 3-4 year turnaround but giving up a potential Misa, McQueen, Moore or Hensler is always going to hurt.  This is without even mentioning the possibility that the pick the Flames gave up could be a lottery winner and Hagens is available 

Whatever the case, they're stockpiling some decent futures and that is never ever a bad thing

I think Huberdeau is gonna bounce back.  Gotta wonder if the Flames might flip some of those futures assets for guys like Necas?

They now absolutely have the cap space and assets to basically go after any player they want.  Whether it's help for the current roster (ie. Necas) or help for the near future (ie. David Jiricek)... they have the assets to do it.

1 minute ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

I grew up watching games with my Dad and he always felt the same way about Edmonton and Toronto. The more years that I’ve watched the more that I agree.

Part of it with both teams if their fanbases and their media bits. As far as actual players on Toronto, I don't care for the most part. Edmonton? The McDavid bit is like having Crosby and Ovechkin shoved in my face all the time back in the day, but that's the NHL doing it's marketing thing and I get it. Helluva talent though. 

But yeah, I won't root for either of them. 

Toronto fans are almost as obnoxious as their media most of the time, same goes for Oil fans. And I say that while recognizing that a lot of folks also find the Canucks fanbase rabid and obnoxious. 

13 minutes ago, Devron said:

Explain 

Easy..
Markstrom is a workhorse 60+ games. New Jersey have struggled obtaining anything close to that Since Brodeur/Schneider days. You gotta make a team pay for that!
Kevin Bahl is a giant piece of shit! He's 6'6 yet plays like hes 5'6. He's basically a B level player in my books.. & that 2025 1st Rounder? Top 10 protected? Literal Trash! Couldn't even get this years 10th pick out of Jersey? 😂😂
Craig Conroy stinks at making trades! I personally couldn't care less, it's Calgary.. but I'd be pissed if I we're a Flames fan.. 

Edited by Don Brodka Jr
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

Devils Acquire Jacob Markström

June 19th, 2024 at 11:03am CST • By Josh Erickson

The Devils have their goalie. New Jersey announced the acquisition of Jacob Markström from the Flames for defenseman Kevin Bahl and their 2025 first-round pick, which is top-10 protected. Calgary is retaining 31.25% of Markström’s $6MM cap hit in the trade, bringing it down to $4.125MM for the Devils.

Speculation about New Jersey picking up a high-end starter had run rampant as far back as midseason. The Devils looked like a team on a meteoric rise after last season’s 112-point showing, but below-average performances from all three goalies they started the season with (Nico Daws, Akira Schmid, Vítek Vaněček) were one of the many factors that brought them back below the .500 mark this year.

After shipping out Vaněček to the Sharks at the trade deadline and getting some stopgap solutions in Jake Allen and Kaapo Kähkönen, they now have their bonafide starter. It took the 2008 second-rounder quite a while to break out, but he took over the crease for the Canucks in the 2017-18 season and hasn’t looked back. The 6’6″ netminder has finished top 10 in Vezina balloting in three of the past six seasons, including a second-place finish in 2022. That was a statement year for him and the rest of the Flames, as he tossed up a .922 SV% and a league-leading nine shutouts in 63 starts as Calgary won the Pacific Division title, just its second since 2006.

Things turned south as he regressed to a .892 SV% in 2022-23, but he put together a nice rebound campaign this season despite battling through a handful of injuries. His 23-23-2 record isn’t impressive at first glance, but he returned to being a top-10 goalie in the league in terms of goals saved above expected with 13.7, per MoneyPuck. He had a .905 SV%, 2.78 GAA and two shutouts behind a Flames team that had its worst season defensively in quite some time under first-year head coach Ryan Huska.

Even still, Markström’s results last year were brought down by a poor stretch of post-trade deadline play – an understandable slump given the trade rumors connecting him to New Jersey at the time and the fact he was playing with a lower-body injury. From March 4 onward, he went 2-8-0 with a .869 SV% without putting up an SV% over .900 in any single game. To put it succinctly, Markström had a better year than a quick look at his results would indicate.

Since signing his six-year, $36MM deal with the Flames in free agency in 2020, Markström has a .907 SV% over 212 starts and one relief appearance. That’s good for seven goals saved above average, indicative of the peaks and valleys he’s shown during his time in Alberta. He’s one of four goalies to start more than 200 games over that timeframe, joining perennial Vezina challengers Connor Hellebuyck, Juuse Saros and Andrei Vasilevskiy.

Landing Markström at $4.125MM against the cap for the next two seasons is a considerable discount for Devils GM Tom Fitzgerald, as it’s much less than he would cost on the open market. He’ll form a formidable veteran one-two punch in net with Allen, who remains under contract with New Jersey next season at a reduced $1.925MM cap hit thanks to the Canadiens retaining salary when trading him at the deadline. The Devils, after dealing with younger, more inconsistent unknowns in Schmid and Vaněček for most of last season, now have an above-average backup and starter for a total of $6.05MM against the cap.

Calling Markström truly elite would likely earn you some pushback, given his year-to-year dips with Calgary, and that pushback would be fair. But he has the most established track record of any goalie the Devils have iced since Cory Schneider‘s run of elite play in the mid-2010s. The deal has them much better positioned to make the playoffs next season and embark on a deeper run than in 2022 when they escaped the first round but were dispatched by the Hurricanes in five games in Round 2. The 23-year-old Daws and 24-year-old Schmid are also afforded some additional development time in the AHL after an inconsistent 2023-24 campaign for both.

Markström, 34, has two years left on his deal. He’ll become a UFA in 2026, and ideally, by that point, one of Daws or Schmid will have developed into dependable NHL options. While on the older side, he fits well with their immediate timeline. They’re now left with $16.05MM in projected cap space with eight open roster spots, per CapFriendly. Versatile forward Dawson Mercer is their only notable RFA in need of a new deal.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/06/devils-expected-to-acquire-jacob-markstrom.html#ref=home

1 minute ago, Don Brodka Jr said:

Easy..
Markstrom is a workhorse 60+ games. New Jersey have struggled obtaining anything close to that Since Brodeur/Schneider days. You gotta make a team pay for that!
Kevin Bahl is a giant piece of shit! He's 6'6 yet blames like hes 5'6. He's basically a B level player in my books.. & that 2025 1st Rounder? Top 10 protected? Literal Trash! Couldn't even get this years 10th pick out of Jersey? 😂😂
Craig Conroy stinks at making trades! I personally couldn't care less, it's Calgary.. but I'd be pissed if I we're a Flames fan.. 

love the hate haha 

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i thought no one could do trades till after the SC was over? is that not true?

Exception allowed this year because fuck Edmonton.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

33 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

My understanding is that teams can make trades after the trade deadline, including in the playoffs, but the players acquired won’t be eligible to play until the following season.

• Upvote 1

Yes all teams can trade after the trade deadline including during the playoffs

but players traded are ineligible to play the rest of the season or playoffs 

so it makes sense why nothing happens after the deadline and during the playoffs, only with teams who are out of it. 

Trades are allowed, but the players involved cannot play in this year's play offs-even if their new teams were still in the post season tourney.

The unwritten rule/guideline' of not releasing big news till after the Cup final, seems to have vanished

11 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

How come all the people that get so mad about LTIR don’t get mad about salary retention?  Seems like an even more direct way to circumvent the cap. 

No one is mad about LTIR... people are mad about LTIR being abused.  When teams coincidentally keeps have players get "hurt"
 so that they can use that space to trade for players and exceed the cap, and THEN those "hurt" players magically always get better right for the playoffs... that is abusing it.

The GMs and league have been talking about removing that loophole.

With retention, each team is allowed a set number of retention spots so the loopholes are closed for abusing it.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Gurn said:

Trades are allowed, but the players involved cannot play in this year's play offs-even if their new teams were still in the post season tourney.

The unwritten rule/guideline' of not releasing big news till after the Cup final, seems to have vanished

The time between end of playoffs and the draft/free agency has just gotten so short that GMs need to do their business.  We are still playing hockey and it is near the end of June.

• ThereItIs 1