Trade: Calgary Flames trade Jacob Markstrom to New Jersey

10 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I think they could be, but they'd have to beat out one of Vancouver, Edmonton, LA, and Vegas, all of which I could see making the playoffs 

I am expecting some regression for us though

I think the Oilers will have another strong year and end up on top and Vancouver and LA fighting for #2-3 and Calgary and Vegas fighting for a #4-5.

That said, I think it's going to be so close, spots 2-5 could be easily interchangeable 

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

I don't mind Calgary tbh, even when they were good they weren't nearly as obnoxious as Edmonton and their fans. 

Agree. Hated rivals, but I can have respect for them, as we all hate on the Coil.

• Cheers 3

13 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I think they could be, but they'd have to beat out one of Vancouver, Edmonton, LA, and Vegas, all of which I could see making the playoffs 

I am expecting some regression for us though

They're in the stage we've been in for the last 3 years before this season, everything has to line up perfect for them to be a wild card team 

5 minutes ago, Provost said:

Well you might not understand the difference, but effectively everyone else does including the NHL who are actively looking at it.

The intent of LTIR was to give cap relief for injured players.  It was not to stash cap hits away until the playoffs to gain a competitive advantage.

The NHL specifically has clauses that allow them to address cap circumvention, this is one of those instances.

well maybe you don’t understand the similarities. 

Stashing cap hits for a competitive advantage is exactly what salary retention is.  
It is just done out in the open and is more pervasive as it can be through the season and playoffs. 

Edited by DrJockitch

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think the Oilers will have another strong year and end up on top and Vancouver and LA fighting for #2-3 and Calgary and Vegas fighting for a #4-5.

That said, I think it's going to be so close, spots 2-5 could be easily interchangeable 

Wouldn't surprise me, but any divisional spot is nothing to sniff at imo 

Go back a couple years and folks around here would have been thrilled with a wildcard spot 

7 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

They're in the stage we've been in for the last 3 years before this season, everything has to line up perfect for them to be a wild card team 

Probably, which is why I'm not really expecting it, they'll probably need one of the teams ahead of them to start declining as they begin to rise 

It'll probably end up being Vegas 

Though they'll likely have to compete with Anaheim for that opening, I do believe they'll be a wagon at some point 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Could be a quick turnaround if they sign a couple good UFAs (ie. Stephenson and DeMelo)

Top 9:

Huberdeau-Kadri-Kuzmenko

Pospisil-Stephenson-Zary

Mangiapane-Backlund-Sharangovich

Top 4:

Weegar-Anderson

Kylington-DeMelo

Could very well be. They're poised to stay competitive with things looking good draft wise. Interesting to think about given where were are now and our window. 

1 hour ago, arsenalian said:

Agree. Hated rivals, but I can have respect for them, as we all hate on the Coil.

I like the Flames a lot more than the Oil, nicer fans in my experience too. went to 2 flames games in Calgary and 2 Oilers games in the last season and a half and one of the Flames games was vs Vancouver and joked around with fans with little digs but overall everyone had a great time. Edmonton was one group of fans to our right that were good mix of Wings and Oil fans, the second game was surrounded by standoffish/stuck up people. Exiting the building that game my buddy and I had to shield a pair of 50/60 year old dudes to keep a drunken Oiler loser from trying to pick a fight because they were blocking the exit doors and the old guys pointed it out. 

Exiting in Calgary I had a Flames fan ask if my Höglander jersey was a game worn one because of the fight strap and he'd never seen his number 36 before and said it was a cool jersey. I recipricated with his Iginla jersey because who doesn't love Iggy? 

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

I think Huberdeau is gonna bounce back.  Gotta wonder if the Flames might flip some of those futures assets for guys like Necas?

They now absolutely have the cap space and assets to basically go after any player they want.  Whether it's help for the current roster (ie. Necas) or help for the near future (ie. David Jiricek)... they have the assets to do it.

I think he could become a 80 point player again but his 100+ point seasons days are done.

He is also 31 now and his contract will take him to 38 at its expiry. Even if he can regain his form father time is going to drag him down.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Could very well be. They're poised to stay competitive with things looking good draft wise. Interesting to think about given where were are now and our window. 

34 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

Should be a good trade for Calgary but always tough to replace a true number 1

dustin wolf has been ready for a couple years. 

7 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

Still has to beat the odds as a smaller goalie made more difficult plating for a rebuilding team

certainly. but you gotta give the kid his chance. it's why you developed him. 

5 hours ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

I’ll always remember Iginla bringing the whole Flames team back onto the ice to shake Trevor Linden’s hand in his last game.

Form is temporary, class is forever...

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

Seems like a good foundation to start a rebuild from...

I wouldn't say they're rebuilding.  They've got Huberdeau, Kadri, and Weegar locked into very long term deals.  They gotta just build around them.

They've got over $23M in cap space to go shopping.

They have 12 forwards, 6 defencemen, and 1 goalie under contract.

They're likely gonna be big buyers this UFA market.  They can afford to with all that draft capital waiting in the wings.

Not saying these guys would sign there, but they could literally afford to bring in Guentzel, Pesce, and Stephenson with money leftover.

Huberdeau-Kadri-Guentzel

Sharangovich-Stephenson-Kuzmenko

Coleman-Backlund-Mangiapane

Pospisil-Zary-Coronato

Weegar-Andersson

Kylington-Pesce

Bahl-Miromanov

Pachal

That lineup is a very, very good one. 

6 hours ago, HKSR said:

Makes sense.  CGY needs cap space to find guys via UFA and at the same time they are bolstering their future.  They're doing a retool the right way.

Since the Tkachuk trade, the Flames have moved out:

Toffoli

Lindholm

Zadorov

Tanev

Hanifin

Markstrom

In return, the Flames got:

1st Round Pick

1st Round Pick

1st Round Pick

2nd Round Pick

3rd Round Pick

3rd Round Pick

3rd Round Pick

3rd Round Pick

4th Round Pick

5th Round Pick

Kuzmenko

Sharangovich

Jurmo

Brzustewicz

Grushnikov

Miromanov

Bahl

All while maintaining a half decent roster to work with.

Let's say they go out and grab a top 6F and a top 4 RHD:  Stephenson?  DeMelo?

Top 9:

Huberdeau-Kadri-Kuzmenko

Pospisil-Stephenson-Zary

Mangiapane-Backlund-Sharangovich

Top 4:

Weegar-Anderson

Kylington-DeMelo

All those picks are going to make their prospect pool amazing, although I suspect some will be traded for a very fast re-tool. 

Just now, steviewonder20 said:

All those picks are going to make their prospect pool amazing, although I suspect some will be traded for a very fast re-tool. 

They don't even need to unless they see a player they really like.  They have 12 F, 6 D, and 1 goalie already signed, and have over $23M in cap space this year.  They could easily retool through the UFA market and still have a bunch of young ELCs come into the fray in a few years as they develop. 

• Cheers 1