Trade: Calgary Flames trade Jacob Markstrom to New Jersey

5 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

I like the Flames a lot more than the Oil, nicer fans in my experience too. went to 2 flames games in Calgary and 2 Oilers games in the last season and a half and one of the Flames games was vs Vancouver and joked around with fans with little digs but overall everyone had a great time. Edmonton was one group of fans to our right that were good mix of Wings and Oil fans, the second game was surrounded by standoffish/stuck up people. Exiting the building that game my buddy and I had to shield a pair of 50/60 year old dudes to keep a drunken Oiler loser from trying to pick a fight because they were blocking the exit doors and the old guys pointed it out. 

Exiting in Calgary I had a Flames fan ask if my Höglander jersey was a game worn one because of the fight strap and he'd never seen his number 36 before and said it was a cool jersey. I recipricated with his Iginla jersey because who doesn't love Iggy? 

Yeah, I’ve had good experiences with Flames fans in Calgary. Not so good experiences with them in Vancouver, but generally a respectable fan base and yeah Iggy was all class. Still remember his gesture to Linden in Linden’s last game. Hard to hate the Flames (as much, lol) after that. Edmonton fans are….well just the worst, like the dislikable players on their team, lol.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, arsenalian said:

Yeah, I’ve had good experiences with Flames fans in Calgary. Not so good experiences with them in Vancouver, but generally a respectable fan base and yeah Iggy was all class. Still remember his gesture to Linden in Linden’s last game. Hard to hate the Flames (as much, lol) after that. Edmonton fans are….well just the worst, like the dislikable players on their team, lol.

Oilers fans did right by the Sedins in their last game, but otherwise they're obnoxious. They're a big band of wannabe know-it-alls.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Oilers fans did right by the Sedins in their last game, but otherwise they're obnoxious. They're a big band of wannabe know-it-alls.

Oh I forgot about that, but…nah F em. Lol

4 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Team going for an actual rebuild. Will be interesting to see how it goes for them. It can go well or you can be in a forever rebuild like Arizona/Utah. I really hope they can find a way to get Tij Iginla. With Joe Iginla coming down the pipeline in the 2026 draft. I'd love if they got both. I don't hate Calgary like I do Edmonton. Even though Kipper and Jarome gave us fits all those years.

• Cheers 1

Calgary still owes Montreal a 2025 1st rd pick. Lindholm, Hanifin, Markstrom, Tanev, Zadorov, toffoli all gone and not coming back for a rebuild. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if Calgary was bottom 5-10 in the League and gave Montreal a top pick in the 2025 draft. 

Just now, Northern_Nuck said:

Calgary still owes Montreal a 2025 1st rd pick. Lindholm, Hanifin, Markstrom, Tanev, Zadorov, toffoli all gone and not coming back for a rebuild. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if Calgary was bottom 5-10 in the League and gave Montreal a top pick in the 2025 draft. 

Is that pick lotto protected?

6 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Except they didn’t finish low enough to get a franchise changing player this year.

We’re giving them what the 28th pick?

The rest of those picks will likely be 20 or later except the Flames 2026 first.

People always like to hype up teams collections of first round picks. In reality they hardly ever make that much of a difference. They’ll be lucky to get a couple decent players.

3 minutes ago, Northern_Nuck said:

It was for 2024(if they drafted in the top 20).  It would become their 1st rd in 2025.

Oh man Montreal is gonna get a top 5 pick for taking Monahan on top of the 1st they got from Winnipeg…

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Except they didn’t finish low enough to get a franchise changing player this year.

The rest of those picks will likely be 20 or later except the Flames 2026 first.

People always like to hype up teams collections of first round picks. In reality they hardly ever make that much of a difference. They’ll be lucky to get a couple decent players.

I just looked there’s like 8 conditions on it, one being that if their pick is like 1st overall, they’d acquire another 1st rounder and give that instead. 

It’s one of the most bizarre conditions I’ve ever seen. 

1 minute ago, Northern_Nuck said:

There’s so many conditions on it, it gets really confusing…

regardless of the condition i think teams can give them the 1st even if the conditions are not met.

4 hours ago, HKSR said:

I wouldn't say they're rebuilding.  They've got Huberdeau, Kadri, and Weegar locked into very long term deals.  They gotta just build around them.

They've got over $23M in cap space to go shopping.

They have 12 forwards, 6 defencemen, and 1 goalie under contract.

They're likely gonna be big buyers this UFA market.  They can afford to with all that draft capital waiting in the wings.

Not saying these guys would sign there, but they could literally afford to bring in Guentzel, Pesce, and Stephenson with money leftover.

Huberdeau-Kadri-Guentzel

Sharangovich-Stephenson-Kuzmenko

Coleman-Backlund-Mangiapane

Pospisil-Zary-Coronato

Weegar-Andersson

Kylington-Pesce

Bahl-Miromanov

Pachal

That lineup is a very, very good one. 

image.gif.cad69d0c09b4ba858cd7b1ecdd72562e.gif

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, HKSR said:

I wouldn't say they're rebuilding.  They've got Huberdeau, Kadri, and Weegar locked into very long term deals.  They gotta just build around them.

They've got over $23M in cap space to go shopping.

They have 12 forwards, 6 defencemen, and 1 goalie under contract.

They're likely gonna be big buyers this UFA market.  They can afford to with all that draft capital waiting in the wings.

Not saying these guys would sign there, but they could literally afford to bring in Guentzel, Pesce, and Stephenson with money leftover.

Huberdeau-Kadri-Guentzel

Sharangovich-Stephenson-Kuzmenko

Coleman-Backlund-Mangiapane

Pospisil-Zary-Coronato

Weegar-Andersson

Kylington-Pesce

Bahl-Miromanov

Pachal

That lineup is a very, very good one. 

True, but nevertheless 15 picks over 3 years would be a great start for a rebuild.

Add to that you may be able to ship out a few more of those for more picks/prospects should they so choose... I'd say, that would be great place to start.

By the time their big contract runs out the young ones will have started to come through...

The longest one is Huberdeau, which can be bought out in a few years

Kadri as well, or traded for more... 

But yes they may even be able to make a smooth transition from this core + a few extras into the next one...(owners and fans wet dream)

6 hours ago, DeNiro said:

True but you have to imagine 3 to 5 are going to hit. 

Who knows they might find their Pastrnak, Robertson, Demko, Aho or Josi with those picks 

2 hours ago, iinatcc said:

True but you have to imagine 3 to 5 are going to hit. 

Who knows they might find their Pastrnak, Robertson, Demko, Aho or Josi with those picks 

3 to 5 would be waaay above average.

You’re lucky to get one player who plays over 200 games in a draft. Just go look at any teams draft history and you’ll see the odds are quite low especially with later picks.

Edited by DeNiro

4 hours ago, spook007 said:

True, but nevertheless 15 picks over 3 years would be a great start for a rebuild.

Add to that you may be able to ship out a few more of those for more picks/prospects should they so choose... I'd say, that would be great place to start.

By the time their big contract runs out the young ones will have started to come through...

The longest one is Huberdeau, which can be bought out in a few years

Kadri as well, or traded for more... 

But yes they may even be able to make a smooth transition from this core + a few extras into the next one...(owners and fans wet dream)

It's what we should have done years ago.  Probably what Linden wanted to do.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

NJ might have bought low in Markstrom, but it does go to show that yet again, number one goalies don't get you much on the market.     

I'd say it's not a bad haul considering like you said, they bought low on Markstrom.

An 18th OA pick + a 23yo 6'6" defender that played over 17min a night including 1:48 SHTOI...

If they didn't buy low, it probably would have been the standard package of most star player transactions in this league:

Serviceable Roster Player

Prospect

1st

• Cheers 1