[Signing] Canucks Re-Sign Mark Friedman (1 year x $775k)

• Honkin Hronek changed the title to [Signing] Canucks Re-Sign Mark Friedman (1 year x 775k)

I'm not thrilled about filling in the bottom before the middle.

I'm interpreting this as them resigning themselves to the fact that zadorov is gone. I hope I'm wrong, but I won't be holding my breath. 

• Haha 3
  • Confused 3

1 minute ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

I don’t think signing our 8th dman is an indicator that we’re out on our 3rd. 

Im happy about this, good depth, he plays a gritty game and is pretty consistent, even when he doesn’t play for long stretches. 
This also helps insulate McWard for 1 more season. 

allvin has talked openly about having a free agent pecking order. 

Just now, tas said:

allvin has talked openly about having a free agent pecking order. 

A league minimum contract doesn’t rly impact the pecking order. Much more of a side job, that clearly got done easily and with almost no impact to the cap. 

much ado about nothing, when talking about Zadorov.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

This has no bearing on Zadorov re-signing or not.

This deal is literally league min and an easy one for them to rattle off quickly.

sure, and I hope you're right. but canucks management have said they have a free agent pecking order they're working with and they try to work down that list.

Just now, tas said:

sure, and I hope you're right. but canucks management have said they have a free agent pecking order they're working with and they try to work down that list.

You’re taking that too literally.

When you can sign a depth guy who comes at the same cost or cheaper as anyone you have on the farm you do it. Why wait and lose a quality depth piece?

Vancouver, B.C. – Vancouver Canucks General Manager Patrik Allvin announced today that the club has agreed to terms with defenceman Mark Friedman on a one-year contract worth $775,000.

“Mark’s addition to our group last year gave us some much needed depth and he is someone we can count on if plugged into our lineup,” said Allvin. “He is a team first player and is always ready to step in if called upon. We expect him to come into camp and compete hard for a regular spot this season.”

Friedman, 28, appeared in his seventh NHL season, recording a point (0-1-1), 21 penalty minutes, and a career-high +4 plus-minus rating in 23 games. The right shot defenceman also played in four games for the Abbotsford Canucks in 2023.24, collecting four points (1-3-4), four penalty minutes, and a +5 plus-minus rating. 

In 88 career regular season NHL games split between Vancouver, Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, the 5’11”, 185-pound defenceman has collected 13 points (4-9-13) and 70 penalty minutes. Friedman has also appeared in six career playoff games with the Penguins, tallying one point (1-0-1) and a +3 plus/minus rating.

The Toronto, Ontario native was originally drafted by the Philadelphia Flyers in the third round, 86th overall, in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Depth; I guess.  Suppose he can play games for Abbotsford if they want 

8 minutes ago, tas said:

What was said in an interview may not always play out that way in real life. Getting a player like Friedman signed was probably as easy as passing gas. Might as well get it out of the way.

15 minutes ago, tas said:

These are borderline AHLers this has no bearing on the pecking order whatsoever 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1