[Signing] Canucks Re-Sign Mark Friedman (1 year x $775k)

10 hours ago, tas said:

sure, and I hope you're right. but canucks management have said they have a free agent pecking order they're working with and they try to work down that list.

I can't believe you categorize mark Friedman as part of the pecking order LOL

He's depth my friend

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

12 hours ago, HarbularyBattery said:

strong suspicion hes our #7 and Juulsen is going to be expected to be #6

12 hours ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Solid move.  He was good for us when in the lineup.  Could see him and Juulsen alternating in the bottom pairing to free cap to spend higher up the lineup.

1. Surprising that a very straightforward depth signing like this has generated 14 pages already.

2. This signing obviously makes sense. It is at the league min and can be fully offloaded at any time by waiving Friedman with no cost to the cap. And he would help Abby if he did clear waivers. Friedman already knows the Canuck defensive systems and he played pretty well when he was called upon to play this year. 

3. I think the point made by @HarbularyBattery is interesting. It is great that Hronek is signed and most people are assuming that Myers will be resigned. However, according to "insiders" there is still work to do and it is not completely obvious it will work. Myers wants to stay and is willing to take a pay cut but he probably thinks he should get something like 4M x 3 years, whereas the Canucks are probably closer to 3M x 2 years.

4. The Canucks will also try to sign a good RHD in free agency (like Tanev or Pesce) but there is no guarantee it works out.

5. I think it is likely that the Canucks either re-sign Myers OR  get a top-4 UFA RD. But it is less than 50-50 that they do both. It is therefore quite possible the Canucks go with Juulsen at 3RD with Friedman as "4th man" on the right side. I would put the odds at better than 50-50.

6. McWard will get a long look in training camp, but he probably goes back to Abby for another year.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tas said:

I'm not going to say the same things over and over and over again to spoonfeed each individual person who can't or has chosen not to follow along. 

That you do exactly that makes this thread a 10+ page monster. And unfortunately unpleasant to read due to the flaming.

But you probably meant what I quoted in a completely different way.

9 hours ago, Hammertime said:

What the literal fuck is this tread?

Shut up!

Best post.   Sure hope Friedman (and Zee) don't have secret accounts.     Well do but just hope they stay the literal fuck out of this one.    Came back to see if anyone had something interesting to say about this signing,  some good stats or something.     Adios! 

This thread has been incredibly fun to read

thank you to all for your contributions.

PS, I heard that because they signed Friedman, Zadorov didn’t feel like he was a priority and decided to walk to free agency and not sign with the Canucks…

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

Trick answer: if you are in the vacuum of space, meaning nothing around you for light to interact with, you would see nothing. 😜

Not only that, but how did this car get so close to C, when there's no air to facilitate internal combustion?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Not only that, but how did this car get so close to C, when there's no air to facilitate internal combustion?

it's clearly a cybertruck. 

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

jato_vw.jpg

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

16 hours ago, Blitz-Pix said:

WOW....

Who would have thought that Mark Friedman resigning for the league minimum would generate 11 pages of discussion. Haha

Discussion or puerile bickering?

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, Rocket-68 said:

.... also, if you are travelling in your car at 99.99999999999999999999% the speed of light through the vacuum of space, and turn on your headlights, what happens?

in equally thought provoking topics, Would you rather be poor and honest or rich and dishonest? How about would you rather be a ninja or a pirate?

You die rapidly of decompression and freeze, cars aren't meant for space.

I would rather be comfortable and tell white lies.  Ninja all day.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, JamesB said:

1. Surprising that a very straightforward depth signing like this has generated 14 pages already.

2. This signing obviously makes sense. It is at the league min and can be fully offloaded at any time by waiving Friedman with no cost to the cap. And he would help Abby if he did clear waivers. Friedman already knows the Canuck defensive systems and he played pretty well when he was called upon to play this year. 

3. I think the point made by @HarbularyBattery is interesting. It is great that Hronek is signed and most people are assuming that Myers will be resigned. However, according to "insiders" there is still work to do and it is not completely obvious it will work. Myers wants to stay and is willing to take a pay cut but he probably thinks he should get something like 4M x 3 years, whereas the Canucks are probably closer to 3M x 2 years.

4. The Canucks will also try to sign a good RHD in free agency (like Tanev or Pesce) but there is no guarantee it works out.

5. I think it is likely that the Canucks either re-sign Myers OR  get a top-4 UFA RD. But it is less than 50-50 that they do both. It is therefore quite possible the Canucks go with Juulsen at 3RD with Friedman as "4th man" on the right side. I would put the odds at better than 50-50.

6. McWard will get a long look in training camp, but he probably goes back to Abby for another year.

i dont hate having juulsen as our #6 tbh. especially if he can get sheltered a bit by a better partner (like soucy or zadorov). vinny desharnais is atrocious and edmonton is making it work. we want hughes to be playing 25 mins/night anyway, and if this lets us afford an upgrade on the 2nd pair or in the top6 i think its a good move. juulsen isnt much of a downgrade on ian cole. 

• Cheers 1

Important turn around on Zadorov's contract talks: Willing to be open minded

Screenshot_2024-06-20-11-29-34-895.thumb.jpg.ee911a3923efb340279d96f25f16eab4.jpg

With the Vancouver Canucks crossing Filip Hronek's extension of their to-do list, the main focus has turned to big defenceman Nikita Zadorov.

Canucks Insider Rick Dhaliwal says all of the team, players, and agent Dan Milstein would like to see a reunion, but with the Canucks looking to improve their roster, they need to clear up some cap. He says, however, that talks continue between the two sides, and it's a good sign.

Screenshot_2024-06-20-11-27-02-348.thumb.jpg.b48e41f0559ad153da160f8757ddf6fb.jpg

Dhaliwal says fans would hate to see Zadorov go, and the team wants to find a way to do it, but they need to find more cap space.

He speculated that a Mikheyev trade would be a very convenient way to open up the cap needed, but what that would look like is unknown. His co-host Don Taylor however, brought caution to the table, saying the Canucks should be wary of overpaying as much as they'd like to keep the player.

The Canucks project to have $18.5 million in cap space next season, but with holes in both the top 4 defence and top 6 forward group, it will dry up quickly.

Source: Donnie and Dhali - The Team

https://www.canucksdaily.com/nhl-team/vancouver-canucks/important-turn-around-on-zadorov-contract-talks-willing-to-be-open-minded

Edited by Drive-By Body Pierce

56 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

Gotta love the jabs at Friendman...I hope people know that without Dakota and Big Z we look soft as cottonelle right now.

I like Fried Green Tomatoes last year and this signing as well. When he got to play, stepped in admirably and mostly provided what was expected of him. Not flashy but steady. Plays bigger than he is which may be the product of limited ice time so tries to not make mistakes while making sure the coaches notice him for the right reasons. 

On 6/19/2024 at 11:57 AM, NHLer said:

Lotta anti-semitism in the league I guess 

penalties drawn, not penalties taken, right?

so, I guess the opposite? lots of pro-semitism?

1 hour ago, tas said:

penalties drawn, not penalties taken, right?

so, I guess the opposite? lots of pro-semitism?

I think that poor joke attempt implied that others are "hunting" for him because of their antisemitism. Just an idiotic way to throw this term around.

• Thanks 2
  • ThereItIs 1

12 minutes ago, RomanPer said:

I think that poor joke attempt implied that others are "hunting" for him because of their antisemitism. Just an idiotic way to throw this term around.

ah, I thought he was going after the refs. either way, dumb. 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

On 6/19/2024 at 3:21 PM, HKSR said:

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

Is definitely a serviceable top 4 group, but I'd say that if we ran Soucy-Myers as a 2nd pair, the 3rd pair should be equally capable to split the minutes more evenly. 

Dillon-Hakanpaa would be a reasonable pair that would probably cost $6M to $6.5M combined.

Zadorov-Juulsen would be another.

Zadorov-Hakanpaa would be most expensive, but probably most effective.

Dillon is projected around 3 million, and he said he would love to play in Vancouver. It sounds like management was very happy with McWard’s second half of the season as well. If Guentzel is signed, I wouldn’t be surprised if they go for the lower cap hit on that third pairing. This allows us to sign depth forwards like Duhaime, Blueger, Heinen, Stenlund, etc.

Recently seen a lot of people have Blankenburg on the roster. I don’t know much about him other than looking at stats, but a lot of people think he could be a good pickup.

7 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Dillon is projected around 3 million, and he said he would love to play in Vancouver. It sounds like management was very happy with McWard’s second half of the season as well. If Guentzel is signed, I wouldn’t be surprised if they go for the lower cap hit on that third pairing. This allows us to sign depth forwards like Duhaime, Blueger, Heinen, Stenlund, etc.

Recently seen a lot of people have Blankenburg on the roster. I don’t know much about him other than looking at stats, but a lot of people think he could be a good pickup.

Seems a bit low for Dillon, but if he came in at $3M, that'd be great for our cap situation. 

• Jess unfeatured and unpinned this topic